TurboHD Gold/DishAmerica Gold - No new HDs?

wilcharl

Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Dulles Va
Folks:

Did some searching but wanted to confirm that I got double left in the dark with these new channels

1st) Because I get my HDs off 61.5
2nd) Because Dish did not add ANY channels to the old Turbo/DishAmerica packages...

Was going to call dish and get them to come out and do the wing dish but if I can't get them as a subscriber to DishAmerica then no sense... I would think they would give SOME of the new channels to the TurboHD folks....

(Thought the original idea behind TurboHD was that it would have ALL the HDs of the respective packages)

:(:mad:

That was the plan. Unfortunately for you and me, we fell victim to one of the greastest consumer bait and switches of all time.

All I can do is tell everyone I know and talk to about tech stuff to avoid Dish at all costs, and that I will be gone when me contract is up.

I'm with you all...I had read the frustrated posts prior to subbing to TurboHD in Sept-09, but thought it couldn't be all that bad, and it made sense, a few odd channels left out due to contract disputes.

But now I see that its really Dish, not the content suppliers, trying to milk the sub for cash-for-unwatched channels. Not cool. I've been an E* sub and booster off/on for a while now, through Voom and all that, and this is seriously souring me on them.

They could make good if they'd at least offer some partial package of addt'l channels, to show they care at all.

U-Verse keeps calling. Might'nt I eventually answer if this continues...?

Charlie does realize that IPTV is going to eat satellite/cable's lunch if they don't retain the value proposition, doesn't he?

Charlie does realize that IPTV is going to eat satellite/cable's lunch if they don't retain the value proposition, doesn't he?

Shanewalker,

I seriously doubt IPTV will be the panacea you suggest. Over the last year and half more and More Broadband companies have instituted Caps, or tried to switch their business model to charge for bandwidth over an artificially random number by the Broadband company.

IPTV takes up a HUGE amount of bandwidth especially HD content. My local Cable companies plan was to charge $50 bucks per month with a Cap at 40 Gigabytes charging an additional $10 per each extra Gigabyte, under this proposed plan 100 Gigabytes would cost $100 per month. Using IPTV could result in 250 Gigs plus per month. Satellite and Cable TV is a huge bargain at that price for broadband.

The reason these plans are being floated is most broadband companies also provide the same channels and are trying to persuade their customers to continue their Cable subscriptions, if they don't the Broadband companies will make up the cable losses by raking in ridiculous profits for broadband.

Currently in the United States the cost to provide broadband to the end users is about $8.00 per subscriber (this figure factors in capital costs as well as operating costs). The average selling price for broadband per month is $45 that is one HUGE Markup. Even so the vertically cable companies are trying harder and harder to maintain control of the distribution mechanism and their profits from TV Content delivery. If more and more users switch over to IPTV to get content delivered to their home the broadband companies will likely constrict the flow of bits into your home and or meter it to make IPTV too expensive and troublesome to bother with.

John

I hear what you're saying, but as things transition from Analog to Digital across all major lines, there's a lot of bandwidth savings...and the myth of low headroom is just that. The telco's have bandwidth to spare--Google 'dark fiber'.

The IPTV innovation is to cease/end-run 'broadcast' as we have known it for decades--true ala carte. People will sub to only the content they want--ask the nearest 20 yr old if they pay for cable and they'll likely say, "Nah! I just go to Hulu and watch the shows I like on my computer"

The world is changing big time. If the old players don't get with it, the new order will pass them by--all this hand-wringing about channel bundling is a death rattle in the throat of 'last years model'.

It looked like Dish was 'getting it' w/ the TurboHD package--but either they caved in to that old model or they had their ass handed to them as a hat by the content companies who are apparently slave to it. Those media megaconglomerates are reminding me of the big 3 automakers a few years back, doing all they could to fight hybrids and new ways of doing business...and see where that got them?

They're 29.99, 39.99 and 49.99 I believe?

So, Dish America Silver is virtually the same price as Dish Bronze+ w/ HD....

So, Dish America Silver is virtually the same price as Dish Bronze+ w/ HD....
Your math is bad or your numbers are wrong, because that is simply not true. Dish Bronze+ with HD is $10/month more than Dish America Silver. And while going to it would add some new HD channels, it would also drop several other HD channels.

Your math is bad or your numbers are wrong, because that is simply not true. Dish Bronze+ with HD is $10/month more than Dish America Silver. And while going to it would add some new HD channels, it would also drop several other HD channels.

That's even better than I thought! It just comes down to what package works best for the channels that you want? I'd want WGN and CBSCS myself!

So Bronze+ WITHOUT HD would be = TurboHD Silver pricing.

Kind of a no brainer if you want to stick in the under $50 range.

I have the Dish America/Turbo HD Gold package with HD DVR and locals and of course none of the NEW national HD channels are available to me. Don't remember when I last received a new national HD channel, it may have been the NHL channel. I also could not get the Platinum channels as Dish refused to add them.

I have a 1000 antenna with access to 110/119/129 and a Dish 500 pointed toward 61.5. Needed the 61.5 when my local HD's were activated. Probably don't need it now as locals are on 129 at this time.

I have the Dish America/Turbo HD Gold package with HD DVR and locals and of course none of the NEW national HD channels are available to me. Don't remember when I last received a new national HD channel, it may have been the NHL channel. I also could not get the Platinum channels as Dish refused to add them.

I have a 1000 antenna with access to 110/119/129 and a Dish 500 pointed toward 61.5. Needed the 61.5 when my local HD's were activated. Probably don't need it now as locals are on 129 at this time.

Ditto...

How does it feel to be a 'smart, selective and thus less blatantly profitable and therefore 2nd priority HD customer'?

Unfortunately you can't scrabble the word"Dish" to mean S==T, and no, there isn't another provider that will give you anything better. Sign of the times, can't have your cake and eat it too

Last edited:
And you don't have to deal. Upgrade your package or leave dish. It is what it is.

Yes I can have the 200 channel I don't give a ** about, how many simple minded people watch them. HSN, gonna buy some trash from them tonight, if you do you are one of the people that buy ready made meals at the market

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)