TurboHD packages

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Interesting..if you go google dish network hd bronze or silver/gold/platinum, you will see there is actual link to dish's official site..
Although the link re-direct you to a generic Dish non-working page...

Just looked at the mock channel chart spreadsheet. If the Turbo Gold pack really does line up with the channels in AT250 then it should also include Encore HD, which would leave only one unknown channel to be included.

And weren't they planning on splitting Golf/VS in to two channels this summer? That may make up the difference.

Just looked at the mock channel chart spreadsheet. If the Turbo Gold pack really does line up with the channels in AT250 then it should also include Encore HD, which would leave only one unknown channel to be included.

And weren't they planning on splitting Golf/VS in to two channels this summer? That may make up the difference.

That is what I was thinking at first, however - the VS/Golf thing won't split til December according to Multichannel. Plus, that would only balance out the gold, not the silver. Also, I think they are adding Encore East not Encore West... east is in the Starz pack, west is in the AT250.

Lets let speculation run wild (which is a VERY DANGEROUS thing to do around here). In the AT100 pack there are very few channels that are not yet offered by e* in HD. They are:

• C-Span 1 - Not Avail
  • C-Span 2 - Not Avail
  • E! - Not Avail til Dec 08
  • Headline News - Not Avail
  • TV Guide - Not Avail
  • CMT - Viacom
  • MTV - Viacom
  • Nick - Viacom
  • Spike - Viacom
  • VH1 - Viacom
  • TV Land - Viacom / Not Avail yet
  • Comedy Central - Viacom / Not Avail yet
  • MTV2 - Viacom / Not Avail yet
One can figure that the Viacom stations will probably light around the same time. (Which is probably why Showtime is getting no love on Aug 1) Now, if they are going to add one more channel to the HDTurbo Bronze; I think it might have to be something out of left field. My money, would be on Universal HD. If they did that, I could see them move a Mojo or Encore East into the Turbo Plat pack (or launch Mojo as a base level Turbo Bronze channel - which is not as likely as Universal HD being moved).

If that would happen, then I could see the missing channel in the silver and gold packs be another NBCU channel; MS-NBC HD. If not that one, then maybe a different channel with a name that would make sense in a package named turbo, another station that people have been begging for... with a fairly fast name... and is an AT200 channel...

Interesting..if you go google dish network hd bronze or silver/gold/platinum, you will see there is actual link to dish's official site..
Although the link re-direct you to a generic Dish non-working page...

It's probably leftover from a couple years ago when they tried the same names.

"Hey guys, remember that marketing gimmick that failed? Let's do it again, but way more confusing!"

I was planning on signing up for HD absolute in the beginning of august. Not sure if I should sign up now and then downgrade to silver/bronze when they force me to (febuary?) or just wait and start with silver/bronze so there's nothing I am going to miss.

I was planning on signing up for HD absolute in the beginning of august. Not sure if I should sign up now and then downgrade to silver/bronze when they force me to (febuary?) or just wait and start with silver/bronze so there's nothing I am going to miss.
IIRC no one posting here actually knows if/when the HD Absolute package will disappear. So unless you want the RSN's or the 5 new HD channels due on Aug 1st, get the HD Absolute now. And check out the channels in the higher levels till they kill the grandfather.

FWIW I remember being really excited when I signed up for HD Absolute because we finally got to see some of the "higher level" HD channels. But it turns out we almost never watch them now. Some times the grass is not that much sweeter on the other side of the fence :)

Talon Dancer

I signed up for DishHD Absolute a couple days ago and it is supposed to be installed this Monday. Are you saying I won't get the 5 non-premium channels that are supposed to be added on 08/01/08?

I signed up for DishHD Absolute a couple days ago and it is supposed to be installed this Monday. Are you saying I won't get the 5 non-premium channels that are supposed to be added on 08/01/08?
AFAIK no one posting here knows for sure, but... the speculation is that these 5 non-premium HD channels will be the first national HD that will not be added to the dishHD Absolute package. Given the announcements of the 3 tier + add on HD packages that seems likely. But you never know with Dish. Their channel packaging/naming rarely makes sense to me ;)

Talon Dancer

You should! Dish representatives have stated many times that HD Only package will carry all the non-premium HD channels, other than RSN's. All of the 17 (or so) that were added this summer were added to the HD Only package.

Having said that, one must realize that Dish often does the unusual and their own people don't know what is happening until it happens! I fully expect, however, that the HD Only (Absolute) package will be discontinued February 1/09.

I don't think Dish would want to deal with the backlash of reneging on the additions to the HD Only package on August 1 and would sooner let it die a more natural death on February 1, when they normally set their rate fees.

Well, I have been trying to compare the new "TurboHD packages W/DVR advantage" with the existing AT100 & AT250 W/DVRadvantage to evaluate the potential savings.

AT100+ W/DVR Advantage: $39.99 ..... add HD essentials: $49.99

AT200 W/DVR Advantage: $49.99 add HD essentials: $59.99 ..... add HD essentials & AT250: $69.99

TurboHD Bronze W/DVR Advantage: $34.99........save $15.00 over AT100+ w/HD essentials

TurboHD Silver W/DVR Advantage: $39.99.......save $20.00 over AT200 W/HD essentials

TurboHD Gold W/DVR Advantage: $49.99......save $20.00 over AT200 W/HD essentials & AT250

Is it worth the SD channels you lose?

....Is it worth the SD channels you lose?
Or said another way.... Dish is telling us that all the SD only channels in the AT 250 package are really only worth $20/mo :eek:

Despite my previous posts, I decided that the SD only channels in the AT packages must be worth more than $20/mo. So obviously the new Turbo HD packages are over priced :)

Talon Dancer

I have been mulling over the idea of switching to the HD only (absolute) package for along time. I was just about ready when the dropping of VOOM happened, which gave me pause. Now that I've decided to go for it, I read that it is likely going away soon....

Is it pretty much a sure thing that at some point soon, Dish will get rid of this package, and the new equivalent will possibly cost $20+ more?

I guess it's still better than paying ~$55 now for AT200+locals+DVR fee, but still disappointing.

It is ALL a moot subject for existing customers. Because you canNOT downgrade or upgrade to the new packages. These are ONLY for new connects. effective AUG 1,2008
Or atleast that is what MY dealer info says that I downloaded last nite and read.

One can figure that the Viacom stations will probably light around the same time. (Which is probably why Showtime is getting no love on Aug 1)

Showtime ended up on the CBS side of the CBS/Viacom split. I don't think E* has any issues with CBS as they're adding CBS College Sports on August 1.

Showtime ended up on the CBS side of the CBS/Viacom split. I don't think E* has any issues with CBS as they're adding CBS College Sports on August 1.
My bad, noticed that the other day and never got around to editing my post... and not only CBS College Sports but likewise Smithsonian Channel(if I am not mistaken, Showtime has a stake in them as well).

AFAIK no one posting here knows for sure, but... the speculation is that these 5 non-premium HD channels will be the first national HD that will not be added to the dishHD Absolute package. Given the announcements of the 3 tier + add on HD packages that seems likely. But you never know with Dish. Their channel packaging/naming rarely makes sense to me ;)

Talon Dancer

Scott. says that the new channels will be added to HD Absolute on August 1st plus Charlie said that all HD added this year would be included in the HD only package except the premiums amd RSNs.

Scott. says that the new channels will be added to HD Absolute on August 1st plus Charlie said that all HD added this year would be included in the HD only package except the premiums amd RSNs.
I sincerely hope Scott is right and Charlie keeps his word :) But I would not be surprised if the 5 non-premium HD channels don't show up in my EPG Aug 1st. :(

Unless of course, the plan is to hook dishHD Absolute subs on the full HD suite, so that if/when Dish kills the grandfather, many of us will opt for the top of the line HD package - TurboHD Gold + TurboHD Platinum.

Talon Dancer

It is ALL a moot subject for existing customers. Because you canNOT downgrade or upgrade to the new packages. These are ONLY for new connects. effective AUG 1,2008
Or atleast that is what MY dealer info says that I downloaded last nite and read.
Taken literally this would means that existing Dish HD subs who want RSN would still be forced to sub to an AT100-250 packages + HD and pay $15-20 more /mo. (for SD channels they may or may not want) than a new sub with the roughly equivalent TurboHD package with RSNs.

This simply does not make sense. :confused: But much of what Dish marketing has done with the HD packages doesn't make sense to me. ;)

Talon Dancer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts