Turn off 1080i?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

vedhead

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 21, 2006
San Jose, CA
So, a week or so ago I decided to go ahead and turn off my 1080i signal on my HR21-700...

I did so because I just got a new plasma (samsung pn50a550) and after doing a little reading, I came to the conclusion that plamsa's display progressive signal better than interlaced signals...sure, there are more lines of resolution on a 1080 signal, but the # of pixels actually viewed are very similar (considering interlaced image is not a full picture).

I'm still experimenting with the Native function being on and off. The 1080i button still lights up with native ON...even though I unchecked the 1080i button in setup.

Can anyone explain that?

with native OFF, the 720p light is always on, and I seem to have a really good picture.
I just turned native ON and am watching HDNet, and it also looks very clean (with the 1080i light on and the 1080i button UNchecked in setup).

So, what I'm hoping for is some advice on whether it makes sense to turn off the 1080i signal, and some insight into what the NATIVE feature really does.

Thanks!

So, a week or so ago I decided to go ahead and turn off my 1080i signal on my HR21-700...

I did so because I just got a new plasma (samsung pn50a550) and after doing a little reading, I came to the conclusion that plamsa's display progressive signal better than interlaced signals...sure, there are more lines of resolution on a 1080 signal, but the # of pixels actually viewed are very similar (considering interlaced image is not a full picture).

I'm still experimenting with the Native function being on and off. The 1080i button still lights up with native ON...even though I unchecked the 1080i button in setup.

Can anyone explain that?

with native OFF, the 720p light is always on, and I seem to have a really good picture.
I just turned native ON and am watching HDNet, and it also looks very clean (with the 1080i light on and the 1080i button UNchecked in setup).

So, what I'm hoping for is some advice on whether it makes sense to turn off the 1080i signal, and some insight into what the NATIVE feature really does.

Thanks!

Basically the Native button allows you to decide if you want the D* rec. to set the resolution for viewing or the TV.

Go by what looks best to you.
One way it allows the signal to come to your set the way it was sent out to the TV, the other, the boxes changes according to what you have set it for.

I always forget which way is which, thats why I'm being rather vague, but that's what it does for you.

Jimbo

I just read that my tv automatically upconverts all signals to 720p or 1080p. So I guess I should just turn Native OFF and let the TV do the work.

I would leave native on.. The tv is going to do the work up converting no matter what, but at 1080I it doesn't have to do as much work as it allready has the pixel information and just has to change the scan rate and type.

I have found that things look better in there natural format.

I leave native OFF with only one HD resolution checked with no SD checked. I find that SD looks way better with native off with a HD res checked rather than with Native ON and all res checked. Certainly not HD but better than viewing SD at 480i. Try it and see.

My HD projector looks best when everything is locked on 1080i. (1080i + stretch)

SD is reduced in size but looks sharper than if I let it stretch the full screen. :)

I lock mine to 720p for my 37" Viewsonic. Keeps the TV from having to think about it and process the change between 1080 and 720 channels (at which point it, as I believe most TVs do, displays a resolution info box, and I'd prefer that not show up).

Neither of my Vizio's display a resolution info box unless I press the display button and then it shows me the channel, speaker icon, etc.

Basically the Native button allows you to decide if you want the D* rec. to set the resolution for viewing or the TV.

Go by what looks best to you.
One way it allows the signal to come to your set the way it was sent out to the TV, the other, the boxes changes according to what you have set it for.

I always forget which way is which, thats why I'm being rather vague, but that's what it does for you.

Jimbo

Native on passes the signal through to the TV the way it was received (and results in slower channel changes as the receiver has to change resolutions every time). Native off forces the resolution to the specified one and slightly speeds up the channel changing.

Native on passes the signal through to the TV the way it was received (and results in slower channel changes as the receiver has to change resolutions every time). Native off forces the resolution to the specified one and slightly speeds up the channel changing.

Thanks IWC :up

Jimbo

I leave native OFF with only one HD resolution checked with no SD checked. I find that SD looks way better with native off with a HD res checked rather than with Native ON and all res checked. Certainly not HD but better than viewing SD at 480i. Try it and see.

I do the same thing with my Vizio LCD. Having the receiver upconvert 480i to 1080i looks better than having the TV do it.

I do the same thing with my Vizio LCD. Having the receiver upconvert 480i to 1080i looks better than having the TV do it.

Well that makes perfect sense, it all depends on which does the better job for you, the electronics in the TV or the receiver. Everyone's set up is also different.
The quality of your set also has a huge amount to do with it.

I would expect my TV's electronics to be sigificantly better than the D* boxes, but thats not the case with everyone.

Jimbo

You watch stuff that is 480i!?! ;)

Sometimes you have to and hope for the best with the upconvert.
I watch X-Files and Star Trek NG and Voyager when I find it and they are both done in low quality.
I think I looked one time to see that the X-Files was done in 480i which is the lowest it will register, that said alot of the episodes are shot in very low lighting as well.

Jimbo

I think I looked one time to see that the X-Files was done in 480i which is the lowest it will register, that said alot of the episodes are shot in very low lighting as well.

Jimbo

I remember reading the X-Files intro was done on VHS!

My wife and I used to watch X-Files all the time...even named my dog after Skinner (gruff exterior, but he is sweet on the inside ;) ). But when I mentioned that they had another movie coming out, she just rolled her eyes. Maybe it's good and I might watch it on DVD/Sat, but I think the X-Files phenomenon has pretty much run its course. Or at least it has in my life.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts