need help???? Bad.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mots-a

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 22, 2006
Hello All -

I am having a problem with Dtv - I have been a dtv user since back in the 90's.

My problem is having to pay $99.00 to $199.00 for a reciever that you dont own. This dosnt fit in my box (brain)!

I baught a H20 about 2 years ago for 100$ from bestbuy and Dtv is telling me that I dont own it.

If I spent my hard earned money on something i purchased from another source outside Dtv then it should be my right to do what ever I want to with it? right?

how does Dirctv have the right to make somebody pay 100$ + 5$ a month reciever charge and tell you that you have no right to that reciever?

Can somebody explain this to me?

thanks,
mots

well - Im thinking I am not going to pay for it -

Im just looking for a good solid answer -

If I sell someone a lawn mower and tell them its really not thiers,
Or a car and tell them its not thiers,

Or say a plasma tv and after you paid your hard earned $$ for it you learn you have no right to it!???

How is this posible?

I am not trying to be a pain but I know there is a problem here.

well - Im thinking I am not going to pay for it -

Im just looking for a good solid answer -

If I sell someone a lawn mower and tell them its really not thiers,
Or a car and tell them its not thiers,

Or say a plasma tv and after you paid your hard earned $$ for it you learn you have no right to it!???

How is this posible?

I am not trying to be a pain but I know there is a problem here.

Because the receivers were NEVER on sale for 99-199 dollars to own. They actually cost around $800 or so to own. What you paid was the lease fee.

Sorry Mot's, What iwc said is absolutely correct.
We all struggled with that when we first went to the new rec's.
It is definately a lease price, the HR20's went for about $ 800 a piece.
The lease was probably put into effect so people could afford to have DVR's (more than one as well).
The original HR10's (TIVO) units were $ 1000 a piece, D* figured that they didn't sell enough of them, I would guess, so they went to the DISH Network theory of leasing.

Jimbo

Because the receivers were NEVER on sale for 99-199 dollars to own. They actually cost around $800 or so to own. What you paid was the lease fee.

Ok good point, but where in the bestbuy store was this noted, and why did not the salesman or Dtv never told me at the time that I just burned 100$, I had to call dtv to activate the box and the only thing they told me was I had to agree to a 1 year contract.

hmmm,, so why is the Verozin FIOS team that is using Dtvs beam offering hd dvrs and all around room tech or just dvrs per box @ 6$? of course with a contract of 2 years.

And not to be a big cry babby, why is it that those of us that pay on time and have been payhing for the top of the line subs for 18yrs are the least respected?

What offers do long term customers have?

look at it this way, If your favorite spote that you dumo tons of money on suddenley forgot you, what would you do?

Ok good point, but where in the bestbuy store was this noted, and why did not the salesman or Dtv never told me at the time that I just burned 100$, I had to call dtv to activate the box and the only thing they told me was I had to agree to a 1 year contract.

hmmm,, so why is the Verozin FIOS team that is using Dtvs beam offering hd dvrs and all around room tech or just dvrs per box @ 6$? of course with a contract of 2 years.

And not to be a big cry babby, why is it that those of us that pay on time and have been payhing for the top of the line subs for 18yrs are the least respected?

look at it this way, If your favorite spote that you dumo tons of money on suddenley forgot you, what would you do?

I believe that D* is now placing this info on the boxes now.
The info has (at least locally) been posted in the D* section for some time now.
I know for a fact the Costco's and CC's are as well, at least locally.

If you've been with D* for that long, call them back and see what they will do for you, usually they will work with you.
Play the CSR rollette a few time, you'll unfortunatly get a different deal each time.

Jimbo

I believe that D* is now placing this info on the boxes now.
The info has (at least locally) been posted in the D* section for some time now.
I know for a fact the Costco's and CC's are as well, at least locally.

If you've been with D* for that long, call them back and see what they will do for you, usually they will work with you.
Play the CSR rollette a few time, you'll unfortunatly get a different deal each time.

Jimbo

well i have called d about 5 times now, and talked up to i think 3rd teir and no offer has been made to me, I have questioned my contract that ends in sept.

I get put on hold and then the 3rd teir comes on the line and tells me sorry.

Also they get mad at me when I point out I have spent over/more then 15 thousand dollars with them for TV.

I guess I just dont know why I kisss my cust. ass's to make a buck, maybe I should just f**k em out of a few grand and walk away!

I know you're ticked, but watch the language please. :eek:

I have been with D since the late 90's and have alternated from having the premiere package and a step below, along with occasionally buying a seasonal sports package (ST, CI, College Hoops, etc). By no means I have spent more with D* than a lot of other people, but it's still been a pretty penny. From time to time when I have needed to make a large investment or upgrade, they have always been very helpful. Not that you haven't, but it is key to be pleasant in all dealings with those who are your suppliers. If they see that you are being nice in your request for something, and they don't see any red flags on your account about being a bad/mean customer, they are more likely to do some thing for you. It is also helpful if you have a preferred resolution in mind before calling. Don't expect them to just offer you something. Request it, make the point that you are a valued long-time customer and that you would appreciate a little consideration, and you will get farther than if you complain and threaten them.

I have been with D since the late 90's and have alternated from having the premiere package and a step below, along with occasionally buying a seasonal sports package (ST, CI, College Hoops, etc). By no means I have spent more with D* than a lot of other people, but it's still been a pretty penny. From time to time when I have needed to make a large investment or upgrade, they have always been very helpful. Not that you haven't, but it is key to be pleasant in all dealings with those who are your suppliers. If they see that you are being nice in your request for something, and they don't see any red flags on your account about being a bad/mean customer, they are more likely to do some thing for you. It is also helpful if you have a preferred resolution in mind before calling. Don't expect them to just offer you something. Request it, make the point that you are a valued long-time customer and that you would appreciate a little consideration, and you will get farther than if you complain and threaten them.

Should he maybe call and just ask for Retention Dept.
He's mentioned that they are offering a HD DVR for $ 99 I think it was, Thats pretty da*n good, I hope he;s not expecting to get it free, I doubt that will happen.
He also mentioned $ 199 so I'm not sure what is what.

You won't be given the units for free, unless your really lucky....

They should work with you ..... unless you have a bad rep with them and or have bad credit.

Jimbo

In all honesty, I haven't paid for a DVR from D* since I bought my HR10-250 (paid full price for it mind you ;) ). Since then I have gotten an SD Tivo (still have it in storage for when the kids get a tv in their room) and two HR20-700's. I have had to pay for shipping ($20) on each one and renew my contract for an additional 2 years each time. But then again, I was planning on staying with D* for those 2 years anyway. SO no skin off my nose.

It really does come back to your attitude towards them, and unfortunately, you do sometimes need to play CSR roulette to get the best deal.

Last edited:

There was a lawsuit about this not too long ago, where customers sued D* because the local retailers, like Best Buy failed to notify the customers that they were paying a lease fee. That is why D* has gone to doing the job of the local retailers by labeling every box.

I have never had and friend or family say they WERE NOT told or that said info was not in writting (in some cases where not told it is clearly in the papers one is supposed to READ). I also have not know many people, self included on 2 occasions; were an upgrade cost more than the shipping cost to over night it to me.

In all honesty, I haven't paid for a DVR from D* since I bought my HR10-250 (paid full price for it mind you ;) ). Since then I have gotten an SD Tivo (still have it in storage for when the kids get a tv in their room) and two HR20-700's. I have had to pay for shipping ($20) on each one and renew my contract for an additional 2 years each time. But then again, I was planning on staying with D* for those 2 years anyway. SO no skin off my nose.

It really does come back to your attitude towards them, and unfortunately, you do sometimes need to play CSR roulette to get the best deal.

You haven't had to pay for any of your HR 20"s, man are you lucky !

Jimbo

You haven't had to pay for any of your HR 20"s, man are you lucky !

Jimbo

Yep, only S/H of $20 or so, plus contract extension. I had at one point owned my equipment, but about the time that D10 went up and my old MPEG2 stuff wasn't going to cut it, I called and asked for an upgrade of the HR10-250 that I had paid full price for and they said no problem. New box and dish were installed a few days later. The trick for the second HR20 was that I waited a few months (8-9 months) and then finally got an HD set in my bedroom and asked for another HR20. Again, I owned the SD Tivo that was being replaced and they said no problem. Except that the installer "forgot" to take the SD Tivo with him when he was done. It is still active on my account, but is not plugged in anywhere.

One of my favorite fortune cookie's I ever got - back when they actually put fortunes in them and not just lucky numbers - was that You Can Catch More Flies With Honey Than Vinegar. Silly as it may seem, I got that fortune when I was about 10 and it has literally been one of my guiding principles through my life. Works too!

Yep, only S/H of $20 or so, plus contract extension. I had at one point owned my equipment, but about the time that D10 went up and my old MPEG2 stuff wasn't going to cut it, I called and asked for an upgrade of the HR10-250 that I had paid full price for and they said no problem. New box and dish were installed a few days later. The trick for the second HR20 was that I waited a few months (8-9 months) and then finally got an HD set in my bedroom and asked for another HR20. Again, I owned the SD Tivo that was being replaced and they said no problem. Except that the installer "forgot" to take the SD Tivo with him when he was done. It is still active on my account, but is not plugged in anywhere.

One of my favorite fortune cookie's I ever got - back when they actually put fortunes in them and not just lucky numbers - was that You Can Catch More Flies With Honey Than Vinegar. Silly as it may seem, I got that fortune when I was about 10 and it has literally been one of my guiding principles through my life. Works too!

Many things you mentioned here worked better than the way I went about it.
First, each time you were UPGRADING, I was upgrading from the H-10's when I went to my HR20's, also, I added them at the same time, thus , was not able to take advantage of the deals after the 6 month period I think it is they use.

None the less, Good Work !

Jimbo

Sorry for the language,

Every time I call D I am very pleasant and I never ask for or act like I want something for free.

I do press this issue but maybe 2 times this year about having to buy a box that I dont own and then still having to pay another $5 a month for said box and any other box I have hooked to a tv.

I dont know, to me this is not right, to me this is price gouging, I kinda look at it worse then what oil companys do.

I guess Im in the I dont want to let go of D mood but maybe I need to. It is obvious to me that they have enough people with throw away stash of cash to let them rip us off.

Thanks for helping all.

We can all relate to frustration from time to time, with D* or anyone else. But the bottom line is this: when you "buy" a DVR from D*, you are in fact leasing it. If you "bought" a new Porsche for $2000 and had to pay $500 month for a couple of years, you would see the reality of not fully owning the car but getting to use/drive it for cheaper than shelling out $60k up front. The D* HDDVR's are about $800 a piece, and you are only paying a small percentage of that up front for the right to use it. You still have to make those car payment to keep getting the service. ;)

I was upset because it happened to me. I bought a DVR receiver back in the day from best buy for like 99 bucks, and thought it was all mine. I called several months later asking why the hell am I being charged a leased receiver fee when I bought it, lady really couldn't explain, just said it's a fee they charged. Now I know and I understand some more, I love my DTV, couldn't live without it.

We can all relate to frustration from time to time, with D* or anyone else. But the bottom line is this: when you "buy" a DVR from D*, you are in fact leasing it. If you "bought" a new Porsche for $2000 and had to pay $500 month for a couple of years, you would see the reality of not fully owning the car but getting to use/drive it for cheaper than shelling out $60k up front. The D* HDDVR's are about $800 a piece, and you are only paying a small percentage of that up front for the right to use it. You still have to make those car payment to keep getting the service. ;)

Very good point you make, and make me understand better.
tho I would never lease a car. purchasing something to own and using it for your moneys worth allways works for me better.

The box like a car in the old days if i got 3 years of service out of it and wanted to upgrade I could sell said box or car yes for a lose but still get something for it, in my mind the box served me well and I still got a little bit more out of it in the end $5 or $50 wouldnt matter, my money I spent for something gives me the right to do what I want with it, true?

Anyhow I see what you are saying.

Now why does Verizon a co. I dont care for not charge this lease charge? and their equipment is pretty fancy FIOS wise.

thanks again,

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts