TV Predictions 2017?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

zeebre12

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 25, 2015
new york
TV predictions for 2017. What channels do you think will launch/rebrand/close in 2017? Predictions for Dish/Directv/subchannels etc.​

I'm hoping for more 4K like ESPN and NFL games next season.
I think since a few NBA games this year and MLB games were in 4K it wouldn't be too far gone to have at least one NFL game a week in 4K.

as long there is a way to sub in local ad's then go 4k for nfl.

4K super bowl with an force tune or local ad insertion to your local station for the 1-2 local ad spots?

I think we wil go to a new TV system 4k "2160P lines 60 Fps" which will be great for NFL and NBA!:hungry2 Everything is going Star Trek baby!!:)

I wonder could we see GAC renaming to Fine Living Network this year? The seem to be putting more emphasis on country living and renovation. I know Fine Living shutdown in the US a couple of years ago but it the channel is launching in countries around the world.

I predict 4k will go nowhere. Not enough people except enthusiasts are clamoring for it and the technical challenges are steep (i.e. the bandwidth it takes)

I think it will go somewhere, eventually but very very slowly, there are always these folks and money tends to solve technical issues:

79af6b3bc5b23131ace1d835c402fa444ebd7cfc574c6b040665280337e74d7e.jpg

Reactions: Kirk1233
I predict 4k will go nowhere. Not enough people except enthusiasts are clamoring for it and the technical challenges are steep (i.e. the bandwidth it takes)

I love 4K but only on UHD-BD. I have no need or desire to see it on live channels as HD is good enough and looks great up converted on my tv. I do hope to see more HD feeds being launched and added by providers in 2017 as there is no excuse for SD anymore.

Reactions: Kirk1233
Will ESPN ever make ESPN Classic HD? All the rest of their channels are HD arnt they? Especially for sports I want to see them in HD.

Will ESPN ever make ESPN Classic HD? All the rest of their channels are HD arnt they? Especially for sports I want to see them in HD.
nope, not happening, ESPN been in the middle of shutting that channel down and turning it to a on demand channel for the last couple of years now.

Dead wrong on this one. Those challenges have already been solved. IE: 4K backhauls already exist on both C-band and via fiber. IE: Nasa UHD, INUHD, FashonUHD, ect. Fiber is already it for the most part as that is how DirecTV gets the majority of their events. (Fiber primary, Satellite backup) Trucks are being built out for 4K and TV sets are now cheap enough where you can find a good deal on a 4K set without spending five grand.

On the delivery side, DirecTV has reverse band waiting. The amount of bandwidth DirecTV has sitting idle right now is astonishing. I see Reverse band lighting up this year. The huge piece on why it hasn't gone live yet is DirecTV is still waiting on some of the SWIM hardware solutions. The majority of it has been finalized but there is a process it must go through, IE FCC and UL testing, to ensure the product is safe before being released to the masses. We should hear more in the next few months on this.

50+ 4K channels. You also have to remember not every channel is in HD as well, and not every channel will go 4k either.
I love 4K but only on UHD-BD. I have no need or desire to see it on live channels as HD is good enough and looks great up converted on my tv. I do hope to see more HD feeds being launched and added by providers in 2017 as there is no excuse for SD anymore.
You love 4K but you have no desire to see it on live channels? Once upon a time many said the same thing about SD

I think it will go somewhere, eventually but very very slowly, there are always these folks and money tends to solve technical issues:

79af6b3bc5b23131ace1d835c402fa444ebd7cfc574c6b040665280337e74d7e.jpg
I kinda wish my TV could do 4K and 3D at the same time. (I mean 3D content upscaled to 4K quality; or 4K content in simulated 3D.) Someone told me some TVs could do that, (not sure, but someone told me some could) but since 3D will probably be gone in a few years, I don't think the manufacturer I bought mine from will produce something like that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.