TV Question?? 1080p??

In 2 years? Yes. In 5 years? Then maybe not. Certainly the sets will be able to scale 720p and 1080i however. Remember, right now hardly any displays are capable of native 720p anyway (outside of some LCD projectors and a few other screeens).

-MP

Most people here have probably seen the improvement offered by a progressive scan DVD player. Why wouldn't you want the same thing for HDTV? A progressive picture signal, regardless of whether the source is 480i from DVD or 1080i from OTA, will offer a more stable image with 15-30% better [perceived] detail as compared to the original interlaced output.

Over the next 2-3 years, 1080p should become the standard for high-definition displays above $3500. The current $3000-$4500 720p DLP/LCD/LCOS displays should fall to the $1700-$2500 range.

NOTHING is done because of public pressure in this country. The only thing that has a say in America is MONEY.

BTW, I really don't understand why HDTVs can't do 1080p. Some can do 720p, so why not 1080p with an external/internal componant that de-interlaces? I would guess they did this so they have something in the future to charge you for, kinda like what happened with DVDs and interlacing.

1080p equipment is real expensive right now so you wont see it for a while i am suprised they haven't used 960i or 960p so far only nasa is using 1080p equipment to film with

slffl said:
NOTHING is done because of public pressure in this country. The only thing that has a say in America is MONEY.
Exactly right! If Poet thinks that public pressure will make BET or A&E go HD he needs to wake up. Only money will make it happen for some channels. ANd that only comes when its a revenue source that cant be had by analog or sd. You will never see HD versions of some channels unless SD is killed first.And that will take money buying all HD sets and a law killing it. But I dont ever see that happening. We will have colonies on the moon first.

madpoet said:
Vurbano, why do we have ANYTHING in HD right now then? It isn't because they are required to, it's because they see a value in doing it. You seem to be trying to argue both sides of the fence. Either public pressure means nothing (in which case why do we have HD now?) or it works (which is why we have HD now). So if they see the same value in broadcasting 1080p content, we will get it. That simple. Try and figure out which side of the position you're on, and get back to me.

-MP
I believe its mandatory for Mark CUban since he only has an HD channel and no SD revenue source. INhd was created by the cable companies to compete with it. Major networks now dabble in it. Pay services like HBO, SHOWTIME etc now offer it, even premium channels like espnhd offer a tiny bit of it. But I dont think it will ever come to some stations. NO profit in it for them. Call your local affiliate and ask them why they are not 24/7 HD? eventually they will say well when its the only revenue source then we will be.

They'll provide more HD content when market forces dictate that they HAVE to...and not a minute before. But as more and more content providers enter the space, competition is forcing some of this along. D* needed to build their case for getting people to switch over from cable. Who are they going to go after? High end customers. Who has HDTV sets at this time? High end customers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)