TV service for Rhode Island

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

zeos2006

Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
New England
Sorry to start a new thread here but the other one was closed. I quess the smallest state in the union doesn't get any love here.:p

TV should be starting around the June 5 date originally posted. Final approval for service area 6 should have been granted earlier this week. Have been informed that employees are being called right now to have install dates set-up. :up

The final public hearing by the PUC will be held today (May 17th) at 1PM. I would hope that an announcement will be made later in the day by Verizon on the start up date. The technician who installed my FIOS internet & phone last week said there were extra crews being brought in. The other morning I saw 7 Verizon trucks with NY license plates driving down Post Road.

FIOS TV in Rhode Island is here!

I called Verizon yesterday regarding my bill and the CR said "you know TV is now available in Warwick". She said they aren't doing any installations until June 20th. I have an install date of June 21st. Getting the $99 package (internet, telephone & TV), plus 2 DVRs and HBO. I'm not happy with the higher cost of the DVRs and HBO (compared with Cox) but at least I am locked in with the present DVR fee which is going up next month.

Rhode Island Consumers: Meet Verizon FiOS TV!

80,000 Ocean State Households Now Can Order 'The Superior-Alternative' TV Service, Bundled With Internet and Phone Service for $95 per Month

FiOS TV Now Available to More than 3 Million Households in 11 States

June 18, 2007

Media Contacts:
Lillian McGee, 401-525-2134
Phil Santoro, 617-743-4760

WARWICK, R.I. - With the click of a remote control and the departure of a caravan of Verizon service trucks on their way to installation appointments, competition for cable TV service arrived in Rhode Island Monday (June 18).

Verizon launched FiOS TV in the state, making a broad range of programming choices and superior picture quality available to some 80,000 households in seven inaugural communities.

The event marks the 11th state where Verizon is offering FiOS TV. The service is now available to more than 3 million homes in the United States.

At a news conference at Verizon's Jefferson Boulevard garage, Rhode Island Lt. Gov. Elizabeth Roberts pressed the button on a remote control, turning on FiOS TV in the Ocean State.

Shortly thereafter, in an unusual ribbon-cutting ceremony, a caravan of FiOS-branded Verizon trucks broke through a ribbon, on their way to the first installation appointments in Rhode Island for FiOS TV.

"In a time when Rhode Island is competing regionally, nationally and internationally to increase investment and grow good-paying jobs, it is encouraging to see a new state-of-the-art fiber-optic network right here in our state," said Roberts. "Technology is changing the world, and Rhode Island must be committed to the latest in technological advances."

Donna Cupelo, Verizon's region president in Rhode Island and Massachusetts, hosted the event. Also attending were Warwick Mayor Scott Avedesian, Verizon New England Senior Vice President and General Manager Ellen Corcoran, and IBEW Local 2323 Business Manager Bill McGowan.

"Today is a great day for Rhode Island and Verizon," said Cupelo. "For the first time, residents in these communities will have a choice in how they get their TV service. Verizon's introduction of FiOS TV breaks down the walls of the legacy TV industry by bringing more choices, better picture, better value and more entertainment. And it's delivered through an unparalleled fiber-optic network that's designed for the future, but being built by Verizon today."

McGowan said the expansion of FiOS TV into Rhode Island bodes well for the state's economy and has resulted in more jobs. "This is a great day for labor in Rhode Island," he said. "We look forward to continued job growth for our members as Verizon continues to build its fiber network throughout Rhode Island."

The company's new television service is being offered in Coventry, East Greenwich, Exeter, North Kingstown, Warwick, West Greenwich and West Warwick, the seven communities that constitute what is called Service Area 6.

FiOS TV is the only TV service delivered over the nation's most advanced all-fiber network directly connecting to millions of individual homes and businesses. To date, Verizon has deployed more than 7 million feet of fiber in its fiber-to-the-premise (FTTP) network in Rhode Island.

Verizon also plans to offer FiOS TV later this year to an estimated 158,000 more households in Rhode Island's service areas 2, 3 and 8, which cover Charlestown, Cranston, Foster, Hopkinton, Johnston, Narragansett, North Providence, Providence, Richmond, Scituate, South Kingstown and Westerly.

"FiOS TV gives Rhode Island consumers an outstanding, superior alternative for their video entertainment," said Corcoran, "Rhode Island customers who liked what FiOS did for their Internet connection will love what it does for their TV. We've harnessed the speed and capacity of fiber-based broadband with the power of broadcast to create a revolutionary, new entertainment experience."

Rhode Island residents who are FiOS TV-eligible now have the option to trim their monthly bills by bundling FiOS TV service, FiOS Internet service and the Verizon Freedom Essentials unlimited calling plan, all for as low as $94.99 a month, with no price increase for two years.

Service highlights include:

FiOS TV Premier, the lead offer, delivers more than 200 all-digital channels for $42.99 per month.

A total of 27 high-definition channels with extraordinary clarity and theater-quality sound.

A library of more than 8,600 on-demand titles.

The choice of three set-top boxes: standard definition for $4.99 per month; high definition, which includes HD channels, for $9.99 per month; and a dual-tuner, HD-capable digital video recorder for $12.99 per month.

Channels grouped by genres such as entertainment, sports, news, shopping, movies and family, making it easy for audiences to find their favorite programming.

An easy-to-use interactive programming guide that integrates HD programming, On Demand content and the digital video recorder along with broadcast television into a seamless user experience.

The option of Home Media DVR, featuring a multi-room DVR that enables up to three simultaneous viewings of recorded programs without requiring customers to set up a complex home network or buy extra equipment. The recorder is bundled with Media Manager, a new feature that lets customers easily access photos and music from their personal computer and play them on their entertainment center where they look and sound the best.

FiOS TV Widgets, a free interactive feature that provides local weather and traffic information.
Programming choices for Hispanic, African-American, Asian, Russian and other multicultural audiences are available in every market. Because FiOS TV has so much capacity, it is an outlet for emerging and independent networks to showcase their diverse programming

Information on packages and prices is available at Verzion Online. Rhode Island customers also can call 1-800-880-2943 to see if they qualify to order FiOS TV.

Verizon research indicates 92 percent of Rhode Island residents favor more competition and choice for video services. Independent studies have shown that competition in the video market brings enormous benefits to consumers in the form of reduced prices, better packages and improved service.

FiOS TV is designed to be a formidable competitor to cable and satellite. Verizon's fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) network, the largest of its kind in the country, is currently under construction in more than half the states where the company offers landline communications services.

The network brings the power and capacity of fiber optics directly into people's homes and has industry-leading quality and reliability. Fiber delivers amazingly sharp pictures and sound, and has the capacity to transmit a wide array of high-definition programming that is so clear and intense it seems to leap from the TV screen. It also delivers Internet download speeds of up to 50 Mbps (megabits per second) and upload speeds of up to 5 Mbps as well as high-quality voice services.

The value of FiOS TV extends to the installation and customer support. Specially trained Verizon technicians will install the service and acquaint subscribers with FiOS TV features and services. Verizon is waiving the installation fee for up to three existing TV outlets, and there is no charge to install a needed optical network terminal at the subscriber's home. Charges for other installation services, such as additional outlets, may apply. Verizon provides 24x7 technical assistance by phone from its Fiber Solutions Centers in Providence, R.I., and other cities.

Had my install on Thursday - all went flawlessly. The new IMG is installed and I find it VERY fast, good interface and am impressed with the backlit remote. My only complaint about the new IMG is that you can't delete channels when you are scanning. PQ is noticeable on the SD channels and I found the HD picture on my 55 inch Mits to be better also.The installer said Verizon is installing around 200+ a day in our area in RI and have brought in over 300 technicians from other states since the response has been overwhelming, and they still havent started their ad campaign. Both of thr installers I had were from Massachusetts but they have many from as far away as New York. All in all, a great change over Cox.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts