TV set Resolution - Diminishing returns?

MitchB

Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
I have Voom on my computer monitor, which is a 23" LCD 16:9 with a ridiculously high resolution of 1920 x 1200 which is made good use of for computer work. There are dual DVI inputs, and Voom is on the second.
My Voom looks breathtaking! My jaw always drops when full HD comes on.

Non-computer monitors, called "LCD TV's", of this size or even larger ALL have much lower resolution, typically 1280 max.

Question - Since the best HD is 720p or 1080i, does the extra resolution that a computer monitor has over an LCD TV help in any way, or would a similarly-sized LCD TV with a resolution of only 1280x860 look indistinguishably the same?

In general, you want the monitor resolution to be close or higher than the source resolution, so that you would not loose any image information. Using higher monitor resolution than the source resolution does not improve the picture too much. I would guess, that the difference between your 1200p and 860p monitors will be more noticeable for Windows programs, than for any HD video source.

It depends on the scaler in your TV. I notice a huge difference in detail when comparing my 720p projector to my VGA monitor. The VGA monitor will handle native 1080i resolution and I see detail and clarity on the monitor that is lacking on my pj. I wish I could have the same picture at 110" that I get with my monitor, I'd never leave the house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)