TV time, need some input

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Pioneer has announced they are getting out of the plasma business. I would expect to start seeing these being remaindered very soon. Thus, the Pioneer is too pricey IMHO.

Could you sell a kid into slavery and get a 1080p Kuro? ;)

Anyway, Pioneer has announced they are getting out of the plasma panel manufacturing business. They intend to continue selling plasmas built with panels supplied by others (probably Panasonic). No cheap Kuros coming. :(

I've seen Kuros. I'm not a plasma fan. Blacks? OMG! Yes, if I could afford it, I'd have a Kuro.

Worth $400 more? IMHO, yes!

In a fit of total insanity, my wife let me replace our 34" CRT with a flat panel. (I sold the CRT, and she agreed it would be a helluva lot easier to get the flat panel to Illinois), and while I did not go for 50", I picked a SONY 40" XBR 1080p LCD with the new 120MHz processor. all I can say is holy crap -- this thing is phenomenal. Watching Transformers on HD DVD right now; just spectacular. I thought about a 60MHz 46", but decided to go for the enhanced quality.

I thought I wanted to get plasma, but this picture is so good, I have no regrets. The new generation of LCDs is definitely worth looking at; but pricey. The 52" version would cost more then $3K.

Even more insane, she is also letting me get the home theater room with a projector for our new house). :) (I know there must be a catch somewhere, but who cares, its worth it ;) )

Actually Pioneer is going to continue to manufacture plasmas this year. It is 2009 when they plan to outsource the panel production.

I did get the 5080HD a few weeks ago for $1979 at Best Buy. It was on sale for 2249 and I asked (and got) for the 12% reward zone discount...

With the setting as discussed endlessly at AVSforum it really has a good picture. If you are closer than 8 feet to it you probably want a 1080p one. I have really sharp vision (about 20/15) and can just make out the pixels at 8' on the 5080. My viewing distance is about 14' (bedroom TV).

You can get the 1080p Pioneers for about 2800 or so I believe from some of the AVSforum sponsors (Innovision I believe). From the talk on the threads. But, I could not justify the extra cash for a bedroom TV where I will be in bed 99% of the viewing time.

The picture is just outstanding. I broke it in for 150 hours as suggested then did the special service menu color adjustments that "D-Nice" posted. It is not as good as a professional calibration would be, but supposedly it should be 94% there (due to the amount of calibration each batch gets in the factory, there is a % variance).

Of course the 9Gs will come out in 3-4 months and they promise to be 80% blacker. The 5080 is an 8G, but the 8Gs still stomp the other plasmas into the ground with the black level. They also calibrate to a very nice bright white.

In a fit of total insanity, my wife let me replace our 34" CRT with a flat panel. (I sold the CRT, and she agreed it would be a helluva lot easier to get the flat panel to Illinois), and while I did not go for 50", I picked a SONY 40" XBR 1080p LCD with the new 120MHz processor. all I can say is holy crap -- this thing is phenomenal. Watching Transformers on HD DVD right now; just spectacular. I thought about a 60MHz 46", but decided to go for the enhanced quality.

I thought I wanted to get plasma, but this picture is so good, I have no regrets. The new generation of LCDs is definitely worth looking at; but pricey. The 52" version would cost more then $3K.

Even more insane, she is also letting me get the home theater room with a projector for our new house). :) (I know there must be a catch somewhere, but who cares, its worth it ;) )

BOY are you spending the hunny brownie point REAL FAST! LOL!

The 50PZ85 is MSRP $2699. the 50PZ800 (handles 1080p24 @ 48hz) will be going for 3199. Being new, I don't see a lot of really good deals out there. You can get the 52" XBR4 for $2999 or less if you do some shopping.

If you plan on putting a BD player with it, the XBR4 will handle 1080p/24 correctly. The picture on the XBR's as stated by Rocky is absolutlely stunning.

That'd be my $0.02.

S~

The 50PZ85 is MSRP $2699. the 50PZ800 (handles 1080p24 @ 48hz) will be going for 3199. Being new, I don't see a lot of really good deals out there. You can get the 52" XBR4 for $2999 or less if you do some shopping.

If you plan on putting a BD player with it, the XBR4 will handle 1080p/24 correctly. The picture on the XBR's as stated by Rocky is absolutlely stunning.

That'd be my $0.02.

S~

Thanks for the input. My limit is right about $2700, so the 85u and Sammy 50" are the two best 1080p plasmas for me. Id love to get the 46" xbr4, but its a little more than I want to spend. I know its not a big difference, but I have to set a limit and stick with it :)

For $2299, this guy looks pretty good

PN50A550 plasma TV - televisions SAMSUNG

Well, I stepped away from the "buy" button to think a little more. I have narrowed it to two, the new Panny 85u 50" plasma or the Sony 46" XBR4. You'd think I was buying a house or something :)

Well, I stepped away from the "buy" button to think a little more. I have narrowed it to two, the new Panny 85u 50" plasma or the Sony 46" XBR4. You'd think I was buying a house or something :)

Hey, nothing wrong with taking your time to buy the right set. Just don't let it drive you crazy.:D

Will do, going to pick it up tomorrow, then Dish should be out Sunday for installation.

Do you know if I can just use a snowy channel to run continously for break in?

Most new sets will video mute if the signal is too weak. I guess I'd go with some heavy action channel like ESPN, or simply not worry about it. Normal viewing is usually sufficient.

Most new sets will video mute if the signal is too weak. I guess I'd go with some heavy action channel like ESPN, or simply not worry about it. Normal viewing is usually sufficient.

I agree. I do believe this is still a debatable issue with plasmas. I have read 100 break in period as well as nothing but watching the tv.

I chose the ladder.:)