TV time, need some input

I guess I was trying to avoid the watching at a low dim picture level for a few days. I wont actually get sat signal until Thu, so i guess Ill just leave it on 24/7 for 100 hours.

I agree. I do believe this is still a debatable issue with plasmas. I have read 100 break in period as well as nothing but watching the tv.

I chose the ladder.:)

I'm going to change my response slightly. ESPN puts those nasty ESPN bars up when sending out SD material. Put up VOOM, or something that is TRUE HD, so you don't get burn-in. My stuff is DLP and LCD, so I tend to forget about burn-in here.

I bought a new Panny plasma last night. After doing some reading on AVS last night and this morning I burned the plasma break-in disk available on the Evangelos site linked above. I've had it running for over 11 hours already today.

There are a couple break-in threads in the AVS plasma forum. Make sure to crank back the factory settings for break-in.

I used Discovery HDT for 100 hours to break in my Pioneer plasma. They only show the logo briefly every 10 minutes or so, and the picture is pretty much always full screen and varied. I set the Dish 622 timeout to like 10 hours and let it run all day while I was out. Then at night I would watch just full screen stuff. A week like this racked up enough hours that I then used DVE to calibrate it (with all the settings advice from avsforum.com).

Will do, going to pick it up tomorrow, then Dish should be out Sunday for installation.

Do you know if I can just use a snowy channel to run continously for break in?

Bought the 75U(720P) about a month ago after returning 50" Samsung 720P for a myriad of issues. Love the 75U. I downloaded a break-in DVD from avsforum but for the life of me can't find it there now. It does work well, although the only IR i've seen is just after initially turning the t.v. on. It goes away very quickly. I love the picture compared to many sets I've had and seen.

Another break-in method would be to use the Family Room channel (voom). There's always a moving image that fills the screen!

I have the 50pz700u and love it (chose it over the 5080 which was $600 more)... sounds like you made a good choice.

I'd advise people to be careful of "breaking in" yer plasmas. Yes you should be careful for the first 100 hours, but putting on a DVD or TV station unattended for hours on end is kinda risky if you think about it... DVD player locks, station freezes.... then your preventative measures have ruined your TV. I do remember reading a couple people on AVS having this happen to them... I just say watch TV as normal but be careful to not watch too much letterboxed/pillarboxed/ticker/logo stuff for the first month or so.

I have the 50pz700u and love it (chose it over the 5080 which was $600 more)... sounds like you made a good choice.

I'd advise people to be careful of "breaking in" yer plasmas. Yes you should be careful for the first 100 hours, but putting on a DVD or TV station unattended for hours on end is kinda risky if you think about it... DVD player locks, station freezes.... then your preventative measures have ruined your TV. I do remember reading a couple people on AVS having this happen to them... I just say watch TV as normal but be careful to not watch too much letterboxed/pillarboxed/ticker/logo stuff for the first month or so.

One of the tv calibrators on AVS recommended the same thing, just set your pic settings and avoid stationary on screen items. Im going to try the break in dvd.

One of the tv calibrators on AVS recommended the same thing, just set your pic settings and avoid stationary on screen items. Im going to try the break in dvd.

I use the break-in dvd more for reactive measures than proactive measures. If I've watched a letterboxed DVD or Blu-Ray I will let the break-in DVD run for about 1/2 hour after. This takes care of any residual IR.

I use the break-in dvd more for reactive measures than proactive measures. If I've watched a letterboxed DVD or Blu-Ray I will let the break-in DVD run for about 1/2 hour after. This takes care of any residual IR.

I owned a 42" edtv panny back in 05-06, never saw any issues after letterbox movies.

Finally got moved in today, threw in the Batman widescreen dvd to let it play before the Break in DVD. Set Color and Bright at 40 and Pic on 50. I must say, even with those settings, this PQ looks great upconverted to 1080p using my BD30.
Running the Break in now.
Here are some pics:
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii47/jlwhid/IMG_0408.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii47/jlwhid/IMG_0407.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii47/jlwhid/IMG_0416.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii47/jlwhid/IMG_0415.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii47/jlwhid/IMG_0410.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii47/jlwhid/IMG_0409.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii47/jlwhid/IMG_0406.jpg

Have about 10 hours on the tv and just finished watching 2 hours of Heroes Season 1. Im very impressed with the PQ and cant wait till I can actually turn the color, bright and pic settings up to normal levels.

Glad to hear you got it up and running!! I've never owned a Panasonic set prior to my purchase a couple of months ago. So far so good! Great picture on pretty much all sources. Now I just have to wait for my replacement PS3 to enjoy some more Blu-Ray!!

Yeah, its a great tv so far. I have 80 hours on it and just ran the DVE BD, got it dialed in pretty good. Hitman and Harry Potter 5 looked spectacular on BD tonight.

Ok, here are my comments on this tv so far:

Previously owned HDTV's - Panny 42" EDTV Plasma & Sony 720p 46" E2000 RPLCD

Tv has about 94 hours right now and has been calibrated with DVE in Cinema mode(found to be one of the better picture modes).

OTA HD - Looks great, coming from a RPCLD the colors and blacks are better, does not look washed out and appears rich.

Blu-ray - Outstanding. VERY sharp and the colors/blacks are excellent to me. Im unaware if its this panel or the 1080p, but the 3d look you get in some scenes is pretty awesome.

The tv is very quiet(does put off some heat though) and turns on and off quickly. The anti glare screen works well IMHO, I have a 400 sqft living room with 5 windows on the east side and yellow walls. Looks fine to me during the day and I dont get wall reflections at night from the lamp.

As stated above, I think the colors and blacks are awesome and much more than Im used too. There is some red push, but Ive got to almost expect that from HDTV sets. Im sure the blacks arent Pioneer blacks, but the tv is only $2500 which I think is great for a 50" 1080p plasma.

I'd comment on Dish network PQ if my installer would have brought a working 722 with him on Thu :mad:

During the break in, I watched some normal tv and did notice a little IR on blank screens, it quickly went away. If this tv is in your price range and you prefer plasma technology, Id not feel guilty about recommending it to you.

If you go to look at one in the store, use these settings:

Cinema mode
Pic 70-80
Bright 50
Color 44
Sharp 50

I have ALL other features turned off. Many have complained about seeing a fuzzy picture on this set, this is easily noticed in "Game" and "Vivid" modes which are most likely what its going to be at the store. Dont get me wrong, its very bright, but the fuzz is horrible so dont be deterred until you adjust the settings.

One final thing on the 3D look. In an early scene in the playground on HP5, harry is sitting on the swing and getting taunted, when the camera pans back to the other kids to appear your looking from his seated view you could swear they are 3D. Very nice. Nascar OTA on Fox today will be after my 100 hour mark so Im looking forward to it, then we'll prob watch the Simpsons BD tonight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts