TV tuner adapter troubleshooting

stevemaitland1973

Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
Emporia, VA
November 5, 2021

I have Dish Network Hopper w/ Sling receiver with Over the Air USB Adapter Dual Tuner. Can receive channels 8.1 ABC, 8.3 Cozi, and 8.4 Laff networks excellent but can't 8.2 Rewind TV. I could receive ION on 8.2 excellent with until November 1st when WRIC channel 8 switched from ION Network to Rewind TV. But 8.2 Rewind TV has a continuous black screen with no audio with 100% signal. I have rescanned the receiver numerous times and reset the receiver back to factory settings, still not working.

November 19, 2021 Update

The Dish Network tech came and replaced the receiver and the over the air antenna adapter which did no good. Still WRIC channel 8.2 has that problem with 100% signal but the black screen w/ no audio. Also receive WTVR channel 6, WRIC channel 8, WWBT channel 12, WCVE channel 23, WRLH channel 35, and WCVW channel 57 with all the sub-channels except channel 8.2 Rewind TV Network with over the air antenna adapter.

If you may help me troubleshoot, I would appreciate it.

That is strange. I was under the impression that all subchannels on a particular frequency were contained in the signal in such a manner that if any one was receivable they all were equally receivable.

Reactions: stevemaitland1973
That is strange. I was under the impression that all subchannels on a particular frequency were contained in the signal in such a manner that if any one was receivable they all were equally receivable.
I emailed the engineer at WRIC channel 8 and he replied: "You need to contact Dish net to have them rescan their receiver to pick up the 8.2 channel. Unless you are receiving us off air then you would need to do a rescan." on November 5, 2021. Dish Network tech coming to my house yesterday (November 19, 2021) and replaced the receiver and OTA USB Adapter Dual Tuner. Still didn't fix the problem.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I emailed the engineer again at WRIC channel 8 and stated I believe WRIC's the problem with incorrect configuration (format that doesn't match up with Dish Network or something) because I have channel 8.2 with 100% signal but the black screen video w/ no audio. But I didn't state I have a HDTV in another room that only receives over the air tv and the tv receives channel 8.2 which is Rewind TV network in the email.

November 5, 2021

I have Dish Network Hopper w/ Sling receiver with Over the Air USB Adapter Dual Tuner. Can receive channels 8.1 ABC, 8.3 Cozi, and 8.4 Laff networks excellent but can't 8.2 Rewind TV. I could receive ION on 8.2 excellent with until November 1st when WRIC channel 8 switched from ION Network to Rewind TV. But 8.2 Rewind TV has a continuous black screen with no audio with 100% signal. I have rescanned the receiver numerous times and reset the receiver back to factory settings, still not working.

November 19, 2021 Update

The Dish Network tech came and replaced the receiver and the over the air antenna adapter which did no good. Still WRIC channel 8.2 has that problem with 100% signal but the black screen w/ no audio. Also receive WTVR channel 6, WRIC channel 8, WWBT channel 12, WCVE channel 23, WRLH channel 35, and WCVW channel 57 with all the sub-channels except channel 8.2 Rewind TV Network with over the air antenna adapter.

If you may help me troubleshoot, I would appreciate it.
I wonder if it is some glitch in the Dish receiver or adapter. For some reason I get glitches in 10.4 here which is PBS (NPR) Radio. The rest of the 10.1/10.2/10.3 are fine. I get 94%, so it is not weak signal. My old vip211k had the same issue. It also could be some issue with the OTA signal that the Dish receiver/adapter, something the other TV set does not see?

I wonder if it is some glitch in the Dish receiver or adapter. For some reason I get glitches in 10.4 here which is PBS (NPR) Radio. The rest of the 10.1/10.2/10.3 are fine. I get 94%, so it is not weak signal. My old vip211k had the same issue. It also could be some issue with the OTA signal that the Dish receiver/adapter, something the other TV set does not see?

I follow the Washington DC DMA traffic on AVSforum and one of our contributors with a Motorola adapter has been complaining about the lack of sound on the Comet subchannel 7.3. The rest of the subchannels he gets fine, and even 7.3 he gets fine including sound on his TV. Trip in VA replied with this comment:
I see the problem in TSReader. The PIDs are mismatched between the PMT and TVCT for Comet on WJLA.
Now I have no idea what a PMT and TVCT are. But others said some tuners can handle errors in configuration, and others can't. So, I think this is a firmware problem either within your receiver or the OTA adapter.

I have similar problem with local PBS channel
Receive all of the channels but on dish there is no sound but when watching ota direct from TV no problems
Low signal from over the air PBS if you have your tv antenna running through Dish Network receiver. I had the same problem when I had Dish Network VIP receivers. Had to upgrade to a Hopper w/ Sling. Now I receive better signal through the receiver with USB OTA adapter than I do with the tv tuner.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)