TWC DVR - are all outputs active all the time?

absolutic

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
Hi, I asked the same question on avsforum, but, did not get the answer.

I am switching from E* to TWC for various reasons. I am trying to decide how many hd cable boxes to order from TWC. I need to know if their dvr boxes support various outputs at the same time: i.e., I want to connect TV1 to a box via HDMI and I want to connect TV2 to the same box via component outputs. This is what I did with Dish box, and it was great, I saved on not having to buy a second receiver box. Would it be the same for a cable box for TWC? Thanks

I *think* all outputs are active at the same time. The problem will be that they likely are going to output the same channel too, so unless the person on "TV2" wants to watch the same thing, it won't do much good. Dish DVRs, the 522, 625, 622, etc are in fact "multi-room" DVRs, unlike TW's DVRs.

Hall, are you absolutely sure about it? I got another response on a different forum saying once you use HDMI/DVI, components may be disabled, depening on the company. Of course, I understand it will be the same thing on both tvs, this is fine with me because I am the only one watching tv anyway.

Go to AVS Forums and search this thread, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=453804. When I had TW and their HD-DVR, I took part in (started that thread, actually) that thread and thought I'd read there that all the outputs are active. I may be wrong and I certainly never tried it. This assumes you have Passport software on your set-top.

Maybe it's either component or HDMI but I seem to recall that the other outputs are active, as in HDMI and composite/S-Video/RF or component and composite/S-Video/RF.

I did search the giant avs forum. Unfortunately, there is no answer to my question there. Yes, it appears that component and composite, or hdmi and composite, these are open at the same time. But are component and hdmi are open? If they are, it is minus 15$-a-month on my monthly cable bill for a second box/hookup.

I did search the giant avs forum. Unfortunately, there is no answer to my question there. Yes, it appears that component and composite, or hdmi and composite, these are open at the same time. But are component and hdmi are open? If they are, it is minus 15$-a-month on my monthly cable bill for a second box/hookup.

Both outputs are definitely not active at the same time on my SA8300 DVR provided by TW in Albany, NY. This box is running SARA software.

They may both be active using Passport, but they sure are not active using SARA.

Both outputs are definitely not active at the same time on my SA8300 DVR provided by TW in Albany, NY. This box is running SARA software.

They may both be active using Passport, but they sure are not active using SARA.

All outputs are active on my box, it is a Motorola 6416. I am lucky!

I can confirm, unfortunately, that with the HDMI in use the component outputs are offline. Which, sadly, curtails the usefulness of my brand new Slingbox Pro and the HD connect kit. >sigh< Have to look for a work-around now.

Anyway, I have the 8300HD DVR running PASSPORT 2.5.066 here in the Raleigh, NC market.

So I guess it is box-dependant, because my Moro 6416 has been operating flowlessly with HDMI going to my Plasma and components going to my LCD in the bedroom all outputting at the same time:)))))

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts