Tweaking 99 and 103...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mosnowman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Midwest
Okay I have my tailgate setup slim line dish and great tripod. I have it adjusted so I can find the 101 very quickly after some practice....perfectly plumb/level but now I can't seem to dial in 99 for ESPN HD?

Are there any tips that can be used to dial it in? I don't have a high dollar signal meter and was wondering if there is something I'm missing? Any tips would be appreciated. I have watched the videos but can't seem to get it figured out.

Mosnowman said:
Okay I have my tailgate setup slim line dish and great tripod. I have it adjusted so I can find the 101 very quickly after some practice....perfectly plumb/level but now I can't seem to dial in 99 for ESPN HD?

Are there any tips that can be used to dial it in? I don't have a high dollar signal meter and was wondering if there is something I'm missing? Any tips would be appreciated. I have watched the videos but can't seem to get it figured out.

Make sure your tilt matches the location your in

if all of your settings or correct, if you get the 101 the 99 should come in ... be sure that your zip settings is for the 5 lnb & not the triple lnb dish

Make sure your tilt matches the location your in

IF your getting the 101 with high signal strength, and the tilt is correct, they should fall into place and fine tune from there.

I think I may have figured it out? I will give it a shot tomorrow, but noticed the tilt setting was at 90 and I believe for zip code 65211 it should be at 79.4? I pulled in 101 with the tilt at 90 which seems weird I was able to do that or is tilt not as important on the 101?

I think I may have figured it out? I will give it a shot tomorrow, but noticed the tilt setting was at 90 and I believe for zip code 65211 it should be at 79.4? I pulled in 101 with the tilt at 90 which seems weird I was able to do that or is tilt not as important on the 101?

The tilt will allow the 99 and 103 to fall in to place.

Your on the right track.

Keep us updated.

I pulled in 101 with the tilt at 90 which seems weird I was able to do that or is tilt not as important on the 101?
101W is at the rotational center of the dish so tilt has no impact on reception of that slot.

You cannot escape setting everything up correctly if you want the full palette of channels. I'd recommend visiting dishpointer.com to get higher precision numbers.

SUCCESS !

Jimbo and others...thanks for the patience with this newbie!

Success has arrived! I was able to set up things in my yard today and pulled in the 99! I realize this is no big deal for some of you but for this Dish Pointing Virgin it was phenomenal! Thanks for all the advice and the best came from Jimbo...

Practice practice practice....and go slow!

I had my LCD TV on and set to the signal strength screen...when I hit 90% on the 101 I then switched the TV to ESPN HD and of course had the "searching for signal" ticker at the bottom...

I then used the fine tune on the azimuth and went very slowly ( 1 increment at a time) and waited until voila....ESPN HD came in...I now will practice on increasing that signal on the 99 because I was only able to get it to around 40% or so....

Thanks guys!

Jimbo and others...thanks for the patience with this newbie!

Success has arrived! I was able to set up things in my yard today and pulled in the 99! I realize this is no big deal for some of you but for this Dish Pointing Virgin it was phenomenal! Thanks for all the advice and the best came from Jimbo...

Practice practice practice....and go slow!

I had my LCD TV on and set to the signal strength screen...when I hit 90% on the 101 I then switched the TV to ESPN HD and of course had the "searching for signal" ticker at the bottom...

I then used the fine tune on the azimuth and went very slowly ( 1 increment at a time) and waited until voila....ESPN HD came in...I now will practice on increasing that signal on the 99 because I was only able to get it to around 40% or so....

Thanks guys!

Congrats !!!!

Now, you'll also want to check the 103 as well.
btw, if you move the signal meter over from the 101 to the 99 or 103 you'll be able to see the progress on the screen without guessing when you see a picture.

Had you been looking at just a SD espn you would have had a picture when you got the 101 locked in.

Chances are if you got the 99 you also have the 103 in place.
Keep practicing :up

IF where your going with this set up is fairly close, I would keep the settings the way they are and when you get there, plumb up the tripod, put the dish on it and slowly adjust the azimuth. (left and right).
Make sure you take a compass with you.

Might help to note at what position your currently pointing at and start there when you get out there. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts