Tweaking AMC-3

Status
Please reply by conversation.

colbec

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
Eastern Ontario, Canada
Just thought I would share an interesting experience while tuning a 36" Fortec dish to AMC-3. The dish is borderline for good signal reception on weaker channels, so I have to make sure I have rubbed in a good amount of tweak juice. Apologies if this is old hat but here goes...

I am using my Coolsat 6000 as the main receiver, and slaved to that is my skystar2 2.6. This weird combination comes about since my Coolsat lacks an audible signal for tuning (grumble mumble grumble). The audio cables run from the Coolsat directly to the speakers. Then I run the Setup4PC software for the DVB card, go into the status page where there is an audible tone available. Coolsat is preset for the Urdu channel.

With my telephone intercom linked up and one handset on the PC box I am out at the dish with the other handset on speakerphone.

It is not too hard to find the Indian guy with his steady stream of audio. Soon after I hit that I start to get some kind of an audible tone out of the pc box from SS2. Now is the time to start nudging the dish. It is easy to lose the signal but Coolsat will grab the Urdu channel again very quickly when you get close.

With the perimeters of the signal established my ears then tune out the Urdu voice and concentrate on getting the pinging from the SS2 as high pitched as possible.

Two audio hints are better than one.

You have an interesting method, the lack of a large signal meter / audio tones from the Coolsat is one thing I miss from my Pansats, So I always use my Pansats when aligning my dishes.

interesting method indeed :)

I wish the Coolsats did have a better meter. I usually drag the old Pansat 1500 out to tweak dishes :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)