Tweaking this dish is defying the odds!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well I'm going to change the lnb out this morning and see what happens with that. Two mornings in a row I've had a noticeable increase in signal before the sun is fully up, and its 25 degrees. Once it gets to 45 and sunny signal drops off..strange indeed. One weak station was 35% in the afternoon and it was 50% at sunrise...reminds me off the old days of dxing in the early a.m....lol

Temperature-related problems could well be lnb weakness or off-center. When the sun gets up there, the background noise increases. Hope you figure it out!

Thanks Turbo. The lnb is a fairly new Geosat Pro C2 lnb. I've got a spare BSC422 but switching lnb's made no difference. Think I'll just leave it alone til spring unless I get bored again lol.

I am going to guess that you are working on the Fortec 8'. From what I have seen, these have either quad or tri support arms for the feed setup. The Geosat CK1 is a pretty light LNBF so I dont imagine the LNBF is moving in the scalar. Are you sure everything about the feed/scalar/arms is tight and nothing is sagging or moving at the ends of travel? It really sounds to me like your azimuth is off or like someone else already said, something is moving that shouldn't be. Do you have any pics of your dish on the new pole? It might help someone to spot something going awry.

A few more photos of the level. Sorry I missed the earlier request!

Attachments

• photo(8).JPG
    photo(8).JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 119
  • photo(7).JPG
    photo(7).JPG
    211.8 KB · Views: 127
I am going to guess that you are working on the Fortec 8'. From what I have seen, these have either quad or tri support arms for the feed setup. The Geosat CK1 is a pretty light LNBF so I dont imagine the LNBF is moving in the scalar. Are you sure everything about the feed/scalar/arms is tight and nothing is sagging or moving at the ends of travel? It really sounds to me like your azimuth is off or like someone else already said, something is moving that shouldn't be. Do you have any pics of your dish on the new pole? It might help someone to spot something going awry.

Bongu, yeah it's an old 8' Fortec. It does have three support arms for the lnb. I've thought in the past of adding a 4th to secure everything better. Nasty winter winds sometimes here. I noticed today the one of the arms was bent slightly. Doesn't appear to have the lnb out of center. I double checked and the center of the lnb is dead center to center of the dish. From center of dish to feed horn was 35 3/4". I think specs say 36". Anything that is a strong T.P. on 137W and 55W will be fine all day. I only lock about 4 channels on 55w, except in the early morning and then 55 and 58W show noticeable improvement. I might take pics and post tomorrow.

The third and fourth pics show where the arm attaches to dish. I re inforced the L shaped piece where arm attaches. Issue there is the angle iron gets slightly bent after a day or so. I'm wondering if the arm is pushing up or down on the dish at farthest sats? That might explain the problem with signal loss. Not sure how to fix it though. Its a 24" arm. Thanks to all for their help and suggestions thus far.

Wild guess here, I don't know your exact location, but from your Location information and the picture of the inclinometer, it appears your elevation is set to 54 degrees = 36 degrees lattitude. That would place you down into TN at least. Double check your elevation and compensate with the declination adjustmet. Just a thought.

Blindowl, in picture # 4 , where the actuator arm bolts on top of the mount, try moving that below the mount and use a spacer about 3/4 inch between the actuator arm and mount.Works for me....Ed

The inclinometer wasnt sitting flat sorry. Done with dish for now. It is what it is. Served me well for four years. Done tweaking til spring

With the actuator arm on top of the angle iron of the mount, it could be binding. I had mine in that position and was having problems until I relocated the arm under the mount angle iron with a spacer between the actuator arm and angle iron.....Ed

Thanks Olegray. I may try that as well. Looks like it would help. There's a little bit of slop in the mount, always has been. When you move the dish you always have to bump it a little. Getting to cold to do much now

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts