Twinhan VisionDTV 1025

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

partyharty

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Hello,

I have been checking into PCI Dvb Cards and I ended up "winning" this one on Ebay this morning. I got a great price on it (and have sent off the $$) but now I am wondering exactly what I got. It does do FTA HD television (and this is the main feature I am interested in). Is this just a newer version of the 1020 series cards (or is it another line) etc.

Quick question: What is the differences between this one and the 102g (or the 1020 etc)? I have checked the website (twinhan.com) am I am having problems finding this "exact" model.

I have a receiver (Satworks 3618) on the way but was looking for this for my HTPC (record and what not). As I am starting out I am only going to have a fixed dish system (for now) pointed at 10R.

Any information on the differences between these cards would be great. (also any advice on getting everything lined up would be great also).

Chris

Welcome to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA forum!

I would use the Satwork ST 3618 to Blind Scan and find feeds and HD, then enter your finds into your card. You can hook them up together easily with a short run of coax. The Satwork would be the master and the card would be the slave. The only down side is your card will be stuck on the same polarity as the Satwork receiver, no big deal.

This is the way I have my Traxis DBS 3500 and DVB World USB hooked up, nothing quite like FTA HD :)

"would use the Satwork ST 3618 to Blind Scan and find feeds and HD, then enter your finds into your card. You can hook them up together easily with a short run of coax. The Satwork would be the master and the card would be the slave. The only down side is your card will be stuck on the same polarity as the Satwork receiver, no big deal."

That is what I am planning on doing. I figure with the blind scan of the Satworks and the HDTV compatibility of the twinhan card that it will be a win win situation.

I was just mainly confused as to what the differences in the cards were. I found the card on Twinhans site (after I posted this) and it "seems" to be the same as the 102g only in a low profile pci card.

Then again I have been wrong before :D

Thanks for replying,
Chris

PSB said:
nothing quite like FTA HD :)

Especially when the only channels we get is PBS and CBS (bad quality OTA stations). FTA HD will be awesome.

Thanks,
Chris

Something you might want to think about, ABC, CBS, UPN, WB HD's are all on C-band. You can get PBS HD on ku band. Don't know where Fox and NBC HD's are. NBC HD is probably on ku, but I haven't found it. So, if the network are what you're after, you're going to need a C-band dish. You can find occasional HD sports feed on ku. But, for the most part, C-band is where HD is at. I hope you have a C-band dish. If not, don't let me deter you from the Twinhan, it's still a good unit for ku. It also will allow you to see 4:2:2 programming with the right codecs.

Al

voomvoom said:
Something you might want to think about, ABC, CBS, UPN, WB HD's are all on C-band. You can get PBS HD on ku band. Don't know where Fox and NBC HD's are. NBC HD is probably on ku, but I haven't found it. So, if the network are what you're after, you're going to need a C-band dish. You can find occasional HD sports feed on ku. But, for the most part, C-band is where HD is at. I hope you have a C-band dish. If not, don't let me deter you from the Twinhan, it's still a good unit for ku. It also will allow you to see 4:2:2 programming with the right codecs.

Al

Well to be honest almost any new channels will be an improvement. Like I said we have 2 channels (period) and I refuse to pay Dish/DirectTv (nor will I steal their programming). We used to have Dish and we still could not find anything we wanted to watch (so we spent a majority of our time "channel surfing"). Its also interesting that this is my wifes idea (well her idea was to get more channels and my idea was to try FTA).

I am planning on stepping up to c-band eventually, but at the moment this will work to get us a few good channels. Its funny too. We live within 60 miles of the transmitters of a lot of the equity stations (we live right between Little Rock and Ft Smith Arkansas). Also have CBS/NBC/Fox affiliates about the same distance away (the CBS we get is about 65 miles away the PBS we get is 87.1 miles away :eek: ).

Only problem is we live in the mountains so we cant get their signals. So we are doing this to see if its what we want to get into the FTA thing. (KU is a lot cheaper to get into than C-Band). We do have the space to expand if we want (we live on 22 acres of land with between 7-10 acres cleared around the house (used for hay). We have a clear LOS to the Clarke belt and it should be a pretty easy go (someone needs to save this to throw back at me when I start aligning my dish :D

So far I have a grand total of $100 invested in this (1 Twinhaun card $40 shipped / Satworks 3618 $60 shipped and and old DirectPC Dish (39x23) and LNB.

If I can get the stations up on G10R with this setup I will be very very happy.

I am in this for the "tinkering" aspect as much as anything. I am a ham radio operator (kc5frr) and I enjoy tinkering. My wife wants channels and if this brings in what I am expecting it to (from lyngsat) then I should get the go-ahead for C-Band.

Anyways thats my story in a nutshell (geez did I really write all of that :D )

c-ya
Chris

You should be able to get the stations on G10 no problem (unless you have a Line of sight issue)

There are ABC, UPN, WB, FOX, Univison, Telefutura networks on G10

The only thing on G10 that Lyngsat lists that you cant get is Fox Arkansas (KPBI). Thats scrambled and Lyngsat hasnt updated their records yet

Thats good to know.

I have been reading this forum for the better part of 3 days now trying to figure out what all to do :)

You may be able to use the receive LNBF on the Direct PC dish ?

Get a splitter that has DC blocked on one port , decide which tou want to be the " master " ( will control polarity ) and which will be the " slave " .

Try scrounging a C band dish . I scrounged 3 . If so , get an analog receiver off of EBay to go along with what you have ( if you do not score a receiver with a dish ) .

I have found a lot of foreign language channels and aseveral religious channels on FTA .

If you decide that this is for you , you will probably want to put a motor on your dish .

I have found a few HD digital channels on C band . Can not remember about Ku .

Wyr

The LNB on the dish should work fine. Several people on here (including Iceberg and others) have used the LNB with no problem (I believe I read they are .6 and .7 for the older ones) but as long as the signal is good it should work fine.

I have thought about putting a motor on the dish and then again I have also thought about just getting several dishes. I kind of think that it would be a good thing to not have to wait for the motor to swing the dish around (and I have the space). Although I doubt the wife will go for 4-5 dishes in the yard :>

I plan on trying to scrounge a dish. I actually have a c-band receiver (from a while back). I got it from a auction. Never had a use for it though (until now). The main thing is the dish. I think I may be able to get one from a satellite store in town (they have several put up and they dont do c-band dishes anymore. They have switched entirely to dish/directTv installs. So I may be able to get one form them (i know the owner). If not I know I can get one new from them. Its just got to wait until the KU stuff is working before I can try to go "big".

Anwyays thanks for the help.

Thanks,
Chris

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts