Two DTV Antennas

BobbyDing

Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
Central Florida
Probably not a new question, but I'm new to this forum, so please forgive. I have a ClearSteam 4 UHF antenna. I am about halfway between Orlando and Tampa Florida. I can get both cities fairly well (Tampa comes in stronger, Orlando weaker) when the antenna is pointed appropriately. I'd like to put another ClearStream 4 on the same mast so that I can get both cities (about 160 degrees out) with a combiner block. I've read that there is a formula to follow (486/lowest channel frequency = feet apart vertically. But does this formula still hold true for this antenna type? Also, is that from center to center, or closest edge of the antennas? Also, since the lower channels are going away, what would be the lowest channel possible (assuming I get that channel locally)?

I do not want to use an antenna rotator.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob

Before spending money on a second antenna, etc., try removing the reflector screens from the C4. It will become a bi-directional antenna that may well be capable of receiving both cities reliably, as long as it's mounted outdoors at a sufficient height. Combining two antennas that point in opposite directions is a hit-or-miss proposition. This is a cheaper alternative that will have cost nothing if the results aren't completely satisfactory.

At those distances to both cities, it's best to regard the C4 as a UHF-only (channels 14-69) antenna. It does have limited gain on channels 7-13, but only enough to provide reliable reception to viewers located quite a bit closer to the transmitters. A VHF antenna costing $30-$50 could be added pretty easily at a later time. It also wouldn't need a rotator, since all VHF broadcasts available in your area (channels 3, 8 and 10) originate in Tampa.

Last edited:
It also wouldn't need a rotator, since all VHF broadcasts available in your area (channels 3, 8 and 10) originate in Tampa.

WESH from Orlando is on channel 11 and will stay there. I'd get a 7-69 now to avoid a total of four antennas.

To some extent, yes, but at roughly 40 miles to each set of stations, the loss isn't severe enough to make the effort a waste of time.

The antenna's "figure-eight" active elements have a maximum designed gain normally optimized by the reflector. Take away the screen, and the new-found gain from the back of the antenna comes at the expense of some of the forward gain. That's why I added the caveat, "as long as it's mounted outdoors at a sufficient height." You can mitigate at least part of the loss by mounting the antenna higher. As little as an additional 5-10 feet may be enough to offset the loss of forward gain.

As Florida doesn't know the meaning of elevation, height generally shouldn't be an overriding issue once you get above the rooftops.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)