Two Hopper Installs are part of the 2 Percent

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sparc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
Since it was a shockingly low number, i figured it was worthy of its' own discussion:
I was told that less the 2% of the installed hopper base has two hoppers. I am sure that number will climb over time.

(pulled from the Team Summit thread)

One day I expect I'll join the bandwagon. But it'll be for a 2H/0J or 2H/1J setup, as I've posted too many times. I gather any possible policy change on this did not come up at Team Summit.

With that low a percentage, it's easy to see why.

One thing to remember, most of us are hard core users and not you average DISH customer. If everyone was like us then we would just be average. :D

Well, I guess that I am one of the minority with my 2H/6J installation. So far, the system is evolving nicely with PTAT, autoHop, etc.

However, I am very disappointed with the stated direction for 2 Hopper integration. Being a 27-year IT professional, the limited integration sure seems to be the easy way out. As expressed by many others, my expectation was full integration into a single, virtual, 6-tuner whole-home DVR. To me this means that the Hoppers would manage timers between the two Hoppers, load balance, and give you an option to list all DVR and PTAT programs from both Hoppers together. Ultimiately, true integration should make think that you have one big a$$ DVR, not two, and the Joeys should never need to be reassigned because the only know about the one whole-home DVR group.

That is not what appears to be on Dish's immediate road-map; it appears that they have assigned the task of Hopper integration to the dumb or lazy programmer group looking for the easy way out. True integration is seemless and transparent.

However, I am very disappointed with the stated direction for 2 Hopper integration. Being a 27-year IT professional, the limited integration sure seems to be the easy way out.

I have said it before but I guess I need to say it again... this is just the START. You will continue to see improvements and additions rolling forward, this is only the first step and that is the most wanted feature of a dual hopper system and that is being able to watch all your recordings from any Hopper anywhere in your house.

Stay Tuned! :)

Scott - I've been a long-time Dish subscriber because I love their solutions and programming. I have faith that they will get it right. I just want to make sure they understand what we want. They do seem to listen to the feedback from your site.

It is better to get a few slices of bread each day, than to go completely without for a week, when they then give you the whole loaf.

In my area the installers said they had been installing several Hopper Joey systems a day. I got my units 3 or 4 weeks after the roll out and I was their first 2 Hopper install. Fortunately they knew about the "coming soon" integration and informed me what to expect.
I could be in the minority but getting a start is better then standing still. Integration is just that and if the trend continues we can expect additions, corrections and perhaps some surprises.
After the fun and games with the vip922 the Hopper is impressive. Dish took the best of the 922 and built on it, and apparently have presented a interesting and stable product. Plus my bill went down because of Hopper....

Scott - I've been a long-time Dish subscriber because I love their solutions and programming. I have faith that they will get it right. I just want to make sure they understand what we want. They do seem to listen to the feedback from your site.

DISH and DISH Execs are here almost around the close listening to your feedback. There has been a huge change in DISH over the past 2 years and they REALLY are paying attention. I had a number of meetings this week with DISH executives and all of them commented on our site and on our members, something I am proud of! I think that after the meetings this week not only will DISH be watching MORE but you might see more interfacing between our members and DISH in the near future. :)

Thank YOU to all of our members for making this possible!

It is better to get a few slices of bread each day, than to go completely without for a week, when they then give you the whole loaf.

Exactly. The steps I would like to see:

1: Access to the other Hopper's content.
2: Ability to select which hopper to use when setting a timer.
3: Access to the other Hopper's tuners (red button Viewing Status page).
4: At power-up Joey's default to finding a free tuner between Hoppers.
5: Integrated DVR listing.
6: Some form of load balancing/conflict overflow between Hoppers.
7: Mirroring HDs between units. Let them back each other up so I still have my content if one dies.

Your list may have other items, or be ordered differently, but I would gladly take any one of these features tomorrow vs waiting for it all to be done at once.

Heck, this product is so exciting and has such great potential I think a lot of us subscribers are proud to be part of the ride. And if we can in any small way contribute something, so much the better.

John Kotches said:
Its nice to know I am in the top 2% of something because it sure isn't my income that's in the top 2%.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Same here, but two hoppers was the best move for me. I have two hopper/one Joey set up

If you cannot get 2H/0J, can you get 2H/1J and after a month simply cancel the 1J?
yes. I don't see why you couldn't return all the extra joeys whether it's 1 or 2 hoppers.

Dish doesn't mandate a policy of how many receivers you have to "keep" on your account as far as I am aware. It's only in the initial install/upgrade where they have a business rule.

Just go to a good local retailer and get what you want the first time around.

yes. I don't see why you couldn't return all the extra joeys whether it's 1 or 2 hoppers.

Dish doesn't mandate a policy of how many receivers you have to "keep" on your account as far as I am aware. It's only in the initial install/upgrade where they have a business rule.

Yes, and I hope they definitely are listening, because that is one of the most arbitrarily ridiculous "rules" I have ever seen a business put in place. Seriously, do they even watch TV? I don't see how they could possibly think 3 tuners is any shape or form of a "whole-home" solution.

The reason only 2% have multiple Hoppers is that is the non-tech-savvy folks who simply listen to what an uninformed Dish CSR tells them they need. If a true needs analysis were done with each person, I'm sure a lot more would have multiple Hoppers (and probably be a whole lot happier with their equipment). They just think they can record six things at once so they should be fine. Until reality sets in later when all the tuner conflicts begin. That's a sure-fire way to disappoint a lot of people with their new equipment and send them off to the competition where they can get many more tuners.

Hopper/Joey is a great concept, I have no idea why they are so intent on handicapping it in that way. :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)