Two REALLY newbie questions...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

roxydog1

Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
I have a H20 D* Receivers...

1. They come with a "SUP-2400 B Band Converter (BBC) Module for Ka-Lo Band up-conversion" however there is no information outlining what exactly it does or why/why not I should have it connected at the back of my receiver (it has two small cable ends sticking out of it). Can someone please tell what is it for and should I be using it?

2. Apparently the H20 is mpeg4 compatible but that function isn;t really explained either. What exactly is this feature?

Thank you for your help!

Your two questions are related. As for exactly what the does, I am not sure, but I know it is needed for you to get signals from the new Ka band dish.

Beginning last year, D* launched the first of 4 new satellites which will have the capacity to broadcast over 1500 local HD channels and 150 national HD channels. These new sats use the Ka band instead of the Ku band which gives D* more bandwidth. Both D* and E* have pretty much maxed out their Ku bandwidth.

These new sats will also broadcast usingt he MPEG-4 compressison algorithm vs. the current MPEG-2 (Yes I know its only MPEG-1.5 so something, but lets call it -2 and leave it at that.) MPEG-4 is more efficient and will allow D* to put more channels is a given bandwidth than if they were using MPEG-2.

If you are curently receiving HD Locals from D* they are using the new Ka satellites and MPEG-4 compression. All other programming is from the Ku satellites and is in MPEG-2.

Ok, I only understand part of you explanation.

I am not currently getting HD locals. So with the B Band Converter really do anything for me right now?

roxydog1 said:
Ok, I only understand part of you explanation.

I am not currently getting HD locals. So with the B Band Converter really do anything for me right now?
You can connect it now or lose it so that in the future you can complain that your receiver isn't working.:(

OK, Now I'm a little confused.

I have an h-20 with MPEG-4 locals. My B-band converter is sitting next to the box on the shelf not connected to anything.

All available channels work just fine.

What's the deal?

talos4 said:
OK, Now I'm a little confused.

I have an h-20 with MPEG-4 locals. My B-band converter is sitting next to the box on the shelf not connected to anything.

All available channels work just fine.

What's the deal?
There are 2 more satellites to be launched and additional frequencies to be used do you ship the receiver with the minimum to work today or do you ship it ready for future plans. Connect it before you missplace it and then have to pay extra to get another.:)

Thanks, Not confused anymore. I guess I never really thought about it.

But that makes sense. It'll go on this weekend.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)