U502 has blown up OTA...again.

That is not totally true. The Hopper does not have OTA breakup "while watching" but they record the breakups, just as when you watch on Joeys.

OTA is working fine here on live, delayed and recordings on Hoppers and Joeys. Only certain sub sets of receivers seem to be having the assorted problems.

The OTA break up problem and the problem where OTA channels are dropped and need to be re-scanned daily only effects certain receivers and are not system wide problems.
That's what you thought a while back. You suggested only receivers with receiver IDs starting with a specific set of digits were affected. My receiver had a different number and was affected.

Are you suggesting that if I call Dish and tell them I'm having issues with OTA channels (live, delayed, recorded), they look at my receiver ID and if it's a certain number (within a set of known numbers), they'll offer to replace it ?

So you are saying we should all finagle for a replacement? This is pretty wide spread.

I haven't checked thoroughly with the single tuner as far as drop outs on Joeys but I did check and it dropped the OTA channels from the guide with both single and dual tuners. I only know what I know and I don't know what I don't know, so...

Reactions: charlesrshell
That's what you thought a while back. You suggested only receivers with receiver IDs starting with a specific set of digits were affected. My receiver had a different number and was affected.

Are you suggesting that if I call Dish and tell them I'm having issues with OTA channels (live, delayed, recorded), they look at my receiver ID and if it's a certain number (within a set of known numbers), they'll offer to replace it ?

I did ask if others with the same problem also had receivers with RID 's that began with R191 like the 2 problem receivers I had, I was just trying to gather facts. I know when I replaced my receivers that were dropping the OTA channels every day the problems went away.

I've never had the break up problems that apparently you, KAB and others are having so I have no suggestions in regard to that.

I did ask if others with the same problem also had receivers with RID 's that began with R191 like the 2 problem receivers I had, I was just trying to gather facts. I know when I replaced my receivers that were dropping the OTA channels every day the problem went away.

I've never had the break up problems that apparently you, KAB and others are having so I have no suggestions in regard to that.

It could also do with what factory they were produced and/or refurbished in. They don’t necessarily have to be the same batch. It could be a undiscovered manufacturing issue. Wether anyone will ever know for sure is another thing as there’s so many variables.

Reactions: JSheridan
Let me be very clear. I'm not having any OTA problems on the Hopper 3's here at all right now therfore I have no suggestions as to what you guys want to do.

It could also do with what factory they were produced and/or refurbished in. They don’t necessarily have to be the same batch. It could be a undiscovered manufacturing issue. Wether anyone will ever know for sure is another thing as there’s so many variables.

These things each seem to have their own individual personalities. For instance right now I have one H3 that turns itself on right after the nightly updates every night and then I have 2 that don't. And they're all on U504.

I would really hate to be a software engineer working on the firmware for these bad boys. :biggrin

There was a series of updates that allowed the USB OTA single tuner to work. Mine works with U504 if I pull the plug, but then reverts to the corrupted data stream after the late night reboot. Same as the last four updates...

Reactions: JSheridan
These things each seem to have their own individual personalities. For instance right now I have one H3 that turns itself on right after the nightly updates every night and then I have 2 that don't. And they're all on U504.

I would really hate to be a software engineer working on the firmware for these bad boys. :biggrin
Does this receiver also turn itself back on after the four-hour (or whatever length of time you set) inactivity shutdown? Just curious. I have observed this behavior on several models of receivers, so it is not just a H3 thing, nor is it anything new.

Does this receiver also turn itself back on after the four-hour (or whatever length of time you set) inactivity shutdown? Just curious. I have observed this behavior on several models of receivers, so it is not just a H3 thing, nor is it anything new.

I have the inactivity timers set to 'Off'. :)

This morning recordings I saved that previously broke up on playback are playing back perfectly. 'Splain that. Obviously the problem was introduced at playback not when revorded.

I hope so bit I'm still on 503 so fingers crossed.
Sorry to get your hopes up. As mentioned above, it's still breaking up on mine.

Hey, here's an idea: Someone with a Hopper 3 and the OTA module in one of the DMAs where Dish and the Network Affiliate are having a pissing match should record the breakups occurring while watching the Affiliate in dispute with the OTA module. Then, send it in to the station and point out that Dish's tactic of sending free OTA antennas to their customers won't let them watch the Affiliate in "perfect digital quality". That should put a fire under Dish's programming team!

Reactions: primetimeguy
Sorry to get your hopes up. As mentioned above, it's still breaking up on mine.

Hey, here's an idea: Someone with a Hopper 3 and the OTA module in one of the DMAs where Dish and the Network Affiliate are having a pissing match should record the breakups occurring while watching the Affiliate in dispute with the OTA module. Then, send it in to the station and point out that Dish's tactic of sending free OTA antennas to their customers won't let them watch the Affiliate in "perfect digital quality"...
Sure it will. Just not through the Hopper. :D

So did anyone ever figure anything out here? It's been months and my OTA recording still suck, which is a problem because I grab quite a bit of shows off the digital subchannels.

H3 on U508, ID starts with R194xxxx..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)