U502 has blown up OTA...again.

In Dish's defense when it comes to updating the s/w on their boxes, they could do like many cable company boxes and never get updates or if they're lucky, get updated maybe once every 1-2 years.... At least they don't break things as often this way. On the other hand, know that bug you've dealt with for 1-1/2 years ? Well, it may still exist after an update (and may never be fixed).

Reactions: HipKat
UPDATE - All OTA recordings from yesterday are perfect. Is it possible to simply tweak software between major updates?

Will continue to report but fingers now crossed the problem is solved.
No, live OTA on Joeys is still messed up.

No it was a record timer. It shows record once on the top line.
It just doesn't record ota.
I just checked. My auto tune timers also say "Record" on that line on that screen after they are completed. You very well may have set the timer as a record timer. All I am saying is that it looks like the software treated it like an auto tune timer in this case. This is a bug with the CUI that Dish really needs to work on, as far as distinguishing between Record and Auto Tune timers. All of my auto tune timers show up in the Schedule as "To be recorded by Living Room 1" even though they (correctly) do not actually record.

Reactions: dennispap
To correct an issue like people are seeing ? I really doubt it.... Could Dish have updated just the OTA dongle software ? I thought they could (and have in the past).

Is there anywhere that even shows what software version is on the dongle? I know with the Hopper2K/Hopper 1, the DISH Sling Adapter did get firmware updates with one version that killed it requiring DISH to send out replacement Sling Adapters.

UPDATE UPDATE...

Turns out my excitement was too much too soon. The ONLY recordings that played back flawlessly were made overnight on Monday September 18 and early morning Tuesday September 19. Except for that short time period the problem was and is the same.

Since there appears to be very few experiencing this problem I will just update here periodically.

Tearing, blocking and audio dropouts appear on all of last night's recordings. Of course, if I watch live there are no problems.

Since there appears to be very few experiencing this problem I will just update here periodically.

Tearing, blocking and audio dropouts appear on all of last night's recordings. Of course, if I watch live there are no problems.
No, there are a lot of us

I do not fully understand the OTA problem since it is not consistent.

1) Watching live OTA channel on Joey 2 exhibits the tearing, blocking, and audio dropouts.

2) Watching live OTA channel on either of my 2 Hopper 3 receivers is ok with no problems most of the time. I have seen the problem twice on my Hopper 3 receivers. My first thought was a weak OTA signal but I checked and the signal strength was 100.

3) Watching a recording of OTA channel on either Hopper 3 or Joey 2 has the problem with the pixelated dropouts.

I agree that the problem seems to have started with U502. I do not have the problem of losing the scanned channels that some owners have seen. I am using the original single tuner OTA modules on both of my Hopper 3 receivers. I also think that the problem is wide spread. Most users probably don't use OTA recordings that often because of PTAT.

1) Watching OTA channel on Joey 2 exhibits the tearing, blocking, and audio dropouts.
That's odd, I think. The Joey is just receiving the 'signal' that is sent to it from the Hopper. It doesn't "know", nor care, that it's a satellite channel or OTA channel.

3) Watching a recording of OTA channel on either Hopper 3 or Joey 2 has the problem with the pixelated dropouts.
I believe this is a separate issue from # 1 since it only impacts recordings. There could be a 'link', of course, but it sounds like they're not exactly the same issue.

That's odd, I think. The Joey is just receiving the 'signal' that is sent to it from the Hopper. It doesn't "know", nor care, that it's a satellite channel or OTA channel.

I believe this is a separate issue from # 1 since it only impacts recordings. There could be a 'link', of course, but it sounds like they're not exactly the same issue.

I agree with you that the Joey is only a client to the Hopper 3. That is why I am baffled. Yet I have tested it several times and the Joey 2 has the problem with live OTA but no problems with satellite channels while the Hopper 3 does not have the problem with live OTA channels.

I changed the linked receiver from my Living Room Hopper 3 to my Family Room Hopper3 but the Joey 2 had the same problem with live OTA channels with both receivers.

Is the OTA antenna feed going to your receiver grounded? I had a problem years ago with a similar issue with a ViP and Dish suggested grounding the line. I think it helped (IIRC).

Is the OTA antenna feed going to your receiver grounded? I had a problem years ago with a similar issue with a ViP and Dish suggested grounding the line. I think it helped (IIRC).
I will try to repost since my last post messed up. I have a mast amplifier that allows me to receive both Dayton and Columbus Ohio stations. The power supply for the mast amplifier is located in the family room ahead of a splitter that feeds multiple outlets throughout the house. If trace voltage were causing the problem, would it not effect all of the connected devices?

Hey guys, it looks like the problem MAY have been fixed! There was an update last night (I can always tell when because I have to reboot my WJ WAP the next morning).
No OTA tearing or breaks on my 2 Joeys. Test recording was flawless. Here's hoping it's over!

I will try to repost since my last post messed up. I have a mast amplifier that allows me to receive both Dayton and Columbus Ohio stations. The power supply for the mast amplifier is located in the family room ahead of a splitter that feeds multiple outlets throughout the house. If trace voltage were causing the problem, would it not effect all of the connected devices?
You would think. From what I remember, I had my (amped) antenna hitting a splitter, then hitting two Dish receivers and two TVs. When watching the TVs, the feed was clean. When watching on a 612(?), I'd get pixelization/cutouts. Dish recommended I ground the antenna feed. So I put a ground block before the splitter and ran a line to ground (water pipe I think).

What have you got to lose except some time? This was 5-6 years ago and my memory is a little shaky.

I still have U502 on both of my Hopper 3 receivers. I tried the upgrade button under tools but it said U502 is the latest software. Maybe they are testing an update with a limited audience. I still have the problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)