U528 new software 12/11/2018 on hopper 3 DVR

Two days in a row I woke up to turn my tv on around 3 am and it has been downloading Vital nformation to my receiver. When it finishes I’m still stuck on U527 software and trying to use the tool to make it update just says your software is up to date and current.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Two days in a row I woke up to turn my tv on around 3 am and it has been downloading Vital nformation to my receiver. When it finishes I’m still stuck on U527 software and trying to use the tool to make it update just says your software is up to date and current.
Have you tried a check switch and then a pull the chord reset. Then try the Update Software tool again.

Reactions: SandFarmer
Two days in a row I woke up to turn my tv on around 3 am and it has been downloading Vital nformation to my receiver.
At least you are not getting random "downloads of vital information" throughout the day even though your receiver is set to do that at 3AM. I experienced one this morning at 7:42.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Has anyone with a 2 Hopper3 setup noticed a problem watching recordings on the other receiver with 528? One of our H3's died and it was replaced yesterday. It downloaded 528 while the other H3 is still on 527. As we lost all recordings on the one that died, we tried watching something from the one still on 527. The recording would play but hitting the stop button froze the picture on the screen and became almost unresponsive. Tried it with a few recordings, same result. I could bring up the guide but not select a channel. The only thing short of restarting the receiver that seemed to work was to fire up Netflix. Upon exiting Netflix it switched back to the live channel that was on prior to watching the recorded program.

So, I wonder if its something in 528 or if the new receiver has an issue. As an aside, the replacement is the second replacement. The first wouldn't start any recordings from the other receiver. Any attempt got a 447 error Event Has Expired. The tech tried everything he could think of to resolve the issue before replacing the receiver.

I have 2 Hopper3 receivers both running U528 and I do not have a problem watching content on the remote Hopper3 receiver. First of all, I would make sure that both Hopper3 receivers are running U528 software. If one is running U527 and one is running U528 there may be a compatibility issue.
Second, if the one Hopper3 was just replaced and is new, I would wait 1 or 2 days since a new Hopper3 downloads a lot of content when it is first started.
Under the Whole Home screen in diagnostics look at the moca details and verify the connections.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Thanks for the reply. Disclaimer, I know little to nothing about MOCA. The new receiver (528) under Details shows green arrows with values both up and down, under Summary is shows Discovered Unlinked. The older receiver (527) shows yellow arrows both up and down with question marks in the numbers columns. It also shows Discovered Unlinked. Like I said, I really don't know what this means.

I have considered trying to update the older receiver to 528, will probably try this afternoon.

Thanks for the reply. Disclaimer, I know little to nothing about MOCA. The new receiver (528) under Details shows green arrows with values both up and down, under Summary is shows Discovered Unlinked. The older receiver (527) shows yellow arrows both up and down with question marks in the numbers columns. It also shows Discovered Unlinked. Like I said, I really don't know what this means.

I have considered trying to update the older receiver to 528, will probably try this afternoon.

The Hopper3 receiver with the yellow arrows with question marks is not connecting correctly to the other Hopper3 receiver over moca. I had a similar problem when my two Hopper3 receivers were initially installed. The Dish installer hooked them up wrong and I could only receive but not send over the moca connection. Dish ended up replacing my one Hopper3 receiver.
Both Hopper3 receivers should show green up and down arrows. It should show the Receive Mbps and Send Mbps > 200. Both Receive and Send Errors should be 0. My Signal to noise ratio is 41 but I am not sure what an acceptable value is.

The Hopper3 receiver with the yellow arrows with question marks is not connecting correctly to the other Hopper3 receiver over moca. I had a similar problem when my two Hopper3 receivers were initially installed. The Dish installer hooked them up wrong and I could only receive but not send over the moca connection. Dish ended up replacing my one Hopper3 receiver.
Both Hopper3 receivers should show green up and down arrows. It should show the Receive Mbps and Send Mbps > 200. Both Receive and Send Errors should be 0. My Signal to noise ratio is 41 but I am not sure what an acceptable value is.

Interesting. But, I have a bigger problem now. Initiated the software update 3 1/2 hours ago. The receiver seems to be looping from the 'Currently running a system check and will reboot shortly' message to the Start up splash message, to the 'Press any button to watch tv' message. Pressing any button does not result in the receiver turning on. If you don't press any button and just wait, the message stops and the whole process starts over.

Called Dish and after the obligatory pull the plug routine and numerous other press this button, press that button he told me the process just isn't finished and to wait 30 minutes. So now the 30 minutes is up and its been 4 hours since the process started. Guess I'll call them back. Its either that or try to schedule a root canal.

My guess is that your old Hopper3 receiver is bad. Since you have already replaced your one Hopper3 receiver you should have a Dish tech check your entire system over. The software update should take less than 30 minutes.

Just got off the phone with Dish. You're correct, the Hopper3 is toast. That's both of them in a week. They are sending me a replacement. She said there's a chance I can recover the recordings from the bad receiver but since I can't access them now, which she thought would work its not looking good. Very odd since nothing has changed in a year and a half.

Just got off the phone with Dish. You're correct, the Hopper3 is toast. That's both of them in a week. They are sending me a replacement. She said there's a chance I can recover the recordings from the bad receiver but since I can't access them now, which she thought would work its not looking good. Very odd since nothing has changed in a year and a half.

How are the Hoppers connected to each other? Can you disconnect them from each other and see if the 'bad' one boots up? Or you could just unplug the 'good' one from power and see if the 'bad' one boots up then.

As I understand it they are connected via MOCA. But it seems that was a problem. There is a jumper between the two switches ( I think they're called duo switches). We tried disconnecting the sat feed to the receiver but that didn't fix the problem. Depending on where in the cycle its in you catch it sometimes the new software version shows in the status screen, other times the whole thing save the remote info is blank. The Dish tech said there is a remote chance it will recover during the nightly update but she didn't sound very optimistic.

As I understand it they are connected via MOCA. But it seems that was a problem. There is a jumper between the two switches ( I think they're called duo switches). We tried disconnecting the sat feed to the receiver but that didn't fix the problem. Depending on where in the cycle its in you catch it sometimes the new software version shows in the status screen, other times the whole thing save the remote info is blank. The Dish tech said there is a remote chance it will recover during the nightly update but she didn't sound very optimistic.

See if it will boot up correctly if the other Hopper is disconnected from power.

There's a reason I'm asking. ;)

And obviously you need the sat feed connected for it to boot up. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)