U528 new software 12/11/2018 on hopper 3 DVR

Mr Sheridan, you've got some 'splainin to do. It took less than a minute and it came to life. Showing 528. What the hell happened??

Oh, and thank you!!

When this new software first came out one of my Hopper 3's wouldn't boot, just like your's. I have a lot of equipment here so I replaced it and the replacement did the same thing. I tried four different Hopper 3's and none would boot. I finally figured out it was because they could 'see' another Hopper 3 when booting. I contacted some friends who also have multiple Hopper 3's and nobody could duplicate my problem so I figured something must be really strange with my installation and shrugged it off. I also reported it to DISH. Apparently you must have the same problem.

If your Hoppers can't 'see' each other they'll boot fine. If the only connection they have is that jumper between your solo hubs then if you remove that jumper they should boot again. If they are connected to the same router then you'll have the same problem.

Anything I can do to help just let me know. :)

Both receivers are connected to the router via ethernet. Should I remove the jumper between the two switches or should the internet connection be changed? Looking at the MOCA summary on the Whole Home screen both H3s are discovered but not linked. As I said earlier I don't really understand the MOCA thing but I do recall that before replacing the first H3 the other day the internet connection on the H3 currently giving me trouble showed MOCA not Ethernet, now both H3s show Ethernet as the connection. Obviously something has changed.

Both receivers are connected to the router via ethernet. Should I remove the jumper between the two switches or should the internet connection be changed? Looking at the MOCA summary on the Whole Home screen both H3s are discovered but not linked. As I said earlier I don't really understand the MOCA thing but I do recall that before replacing the first H3 the other day the internet connection on the H3 currently giving me trouble showed MOCA not Ethernet, now both H3s show Ethernet as the connection. Obviously something has changed.

They'll work fine connected together after they've booted up, it's just that they won't boot up if they can see each other. If you want them to be able to boot correctly, like after the nightly update, then you'll have to remove the jumper from between the two solo hubs and you'll also have to disconnect one of them from the internet connection.

The only way they will boot properly reliably is if they are isolated from each other. Once in a while they'll boot correctly when connected together but it's like 1% of the time.

As you can tell I've spent a lot of time fooling with this problem. :eeek

And please report this bug to DISH.

What brand router do you use?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Just explained everything in detail to a senior agent at Dish. He was very interested. I've never had a problem booting the receivers in the past, never disconnected anything or removed power.

My router is an ASUS RT-AC86U running Merlin firmware.

If they can see each other, shouldn't only 1 of them be connected to the Internet?

Theoretically yes, but it doesn't matter with this problem.

In the past I've had 3 Hopper 3's connected together via MoCA so they could see each other and all with different ethernet connections to different networks and different ISP's and they all worked fine. Up until this new software that is. :)

Just explained everything in detail to a senior agent at Dish. He was very interested. I've never had a problem booting the receivers in the past, never disconnected anything or removed power.

My router is an ASUS RT-AC86U running Merlin firmware.

The problem is something new with this new software.

I'm using Linksys routers so that's not the common denominator.

Makes sense. I didn't see the issue until one of the H3s updated overnight. Sure hope I don't have to go through this every morning.

Makes sense. I didn't see the issue until one of the H3s updated overnight. Sure hope I don't have to go through this every morning.

You probably will unless you isolate them from each other and until and if DISH fixes this problem. Apparently it only affects a very small number of installations so we might not be a priority. :(

How would you suggest isolating them? I just noticed that now the internet connection on my problem receiver shows the name of the other receiver rather than ethernet. That changed during this whole process.

Since watching recordings on the other H3 is now a problem I see no real reason for them to be connected. If this is a problem going forward I'd just as soon isolate them. And thanks again for all your assistance.

Theoretically yes, but it doesn't matter with this problem.

In the past I've had 3 Hopper 3's connected together via MoCA so they could see each other and all with different ethernet connections to different networks and different ISP's and they all worked fine. Up until this new software that is. :)
I should have specified both Hoppers on the same Network

How would you suggest isolating them? I just noticed that now the internet connection on my problem receiver shows the name of the other receiver rather than ethernet. That changed during this whole process.

Since watching recordings on the other H3 is now a problem I see no real reason for them to be connected. If this is a problem going forward I'd just as soon isolate them. And thanks again for all your assistance.

To isolate them you have to remove the jumper between the 2 solo hubs and disconnect one of the Hoppers from the ethernet router connection. You can try and see if they both boot with just the jumper removed but you'll probably have to disconnect one ethernet as well so that means you won't have internet on one of them.

To isolate them you have to remove the jumper between the 2 solo hubs and disconnect one from the ethernet router connection. You can try and see if they both boot with just the jumper removed but you'll probably have to disconnect one ethernet as well so that means you won't have internet on one of them.

I can fix that. I have a guest network on my router. I just have to connect one of the receivers via Wifi to the guest network.

I can fix that. I have a guest network on my router. I just have to connect one of the receivers via Wifi to the guest network.

That might work, or it might not. The only way I could get internet to the second one was from a totally different ISP and router/network.

I wonder what is different for the Hopper3 receivers that are experiencing the problem.
I use a duo hub to connect both Hopper3 receivers instead of 2 single hubs with a jumper.
Western Ark with DPH42 switch

Living Room Hopper3
Software U528
Bootstrap 1112
Hardware ID NHBD
Processor ID 22E69FD5
Hard wired to Netgear Nighthawk 8000 router

Family Room Hopper3
Software U528
Bootstrap 1112
Hardware ID NHBH
Processor ID 22E6D707
No hardwired internet connection

Bridging is turned on for both Hopper3 receivers. Limited frequency scan is off for both Hopper3 receivers.

I also have a Joey2 receiver in my bedroom which I can connect to either Hopper3 receiver. Internet works fine on all 3 receivers

This setup has worked well for me except when Dish had it wired wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

That might work, or it might not. The only way I could get internet to the second one was from a totally different ISP and router/network.

If the guest network is set up with 'Access Intranet' off devices on the guest network cannot see any on the main network. However the reverse is not true so one will be able to see the other. I could set up another guest network, Asus allows 5 or 6 and isolate both that way. What a pain. I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning to make sure I'm not working on a solution for which I don't have a problem.

If the guest network is set up with 'Access Intranet' off devices on the guest network cannot see any on the main network. However the reverse is not true so one will be able to see the other. I could set up another guest network, Asus allows 5 or 6 and isolate both that way. What a pain. I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning to make sure I'm not working on a solution for which I don't have a problem.

Good idea waiting because it looks like you're a pioneer in troubleshooting this one. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts