U528 new software 12/11/2018 on hopper 3 DVR

I wonder what is different for the Hopper3 receivers that are experiencing the problem.
I use a duo hub to connect both Hopper3 receivers instead of 2 single hubs with a jumper.
Western Ark with DPH42 switch

Living Room Hopper3
Software U528
Bootstrap 1112
Hardware ID NHBD
Processor ID 22E69FD5
Hard wired to Netgear Nighthawk 8000 router

Family Room Hopper3
Software U528
Bootstrap 1112
Hardware ID NHBH
Processor ID 22E6D707

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

All my testing has been on eastern arc with DPH42 switches and separate dishes with hybrid LNB's. I've tried 4 different Hopper 3's with the same problem resulting. Tried bridging on and off, ethernet, MoCA and WiFi. No joy.

The only way I can connect them together and have them boot properly is to run an ethernet wire directly from one to another, no routers, no swithces, just an ethernet wire. :)

Couldn't leave well enough alone. Disconnected the jumper. Had to reset the internet connection on one of the H3s. Both can still see the other via DVR. Funny thing is my older H3 can still play recordings from the new one with all functionality. Trying the reverse and you can watch the other's shows but hitting stop still freezes the screen and requires switching to the internet connection to get out. I'm done for tonight. We'll see in the morning if I have to go further to isolate them via the router.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I'm having the same problem with one of my two Hopper 3's. first it was Hopper 3 #1 that first received a software update and then took almost 2 hours to finally boot up and start functioning as properly. then a few days H3 #2 also gets the new software download and functions as it should. For at least a full day both Hopper threes were functioning as they should with the software update. now Hopper 3 #2 has been stuck on memory being downloaded do not touch followed by reboot cycle many times then finally the screensaver when I press to watch TV it goes back to the memory being downloaded followed by boot cycle many times it has now been at least 8 hours since I first noticed this problem.

I read the earlier posts about isolating the hopper 3's, but that doesn't seem to be a practical solution when both of these boxes are going to be having a nightly reboot. Further, we really do watch from each other's Hopper. frankly there are probably more average subscribers who are experiencing this and don't know what to do and have no resource. Dish is probably replacing these boxes at a pretty fair expense, considering that replacing the boxes does not solve the problem, when the problem seems to be the software, not hardware.

Dish, you need to fix this software mess immediately. It must be your top priority, because there is no truly practical solution for subscribers who have two Hopper threes that need to see each other. in my case I was able to link a Joey to the first Hopper 3 and watch television and make a few recordings however I can not access any of the recordings on the second Hopper 3 which has the most recordings and happens to beat my Hopper 3.

removing the jumper is not a practical solution for me as I'm recovering from surgery and can't even stretch way down there to do it, and then I wouldn't have each Hopper 3 seeing each other, which is a situation we use very frequently. Let's just face it there really isn't a proper practical solution to this problem Dish needs to get its bloody house in order and get a fix on this ASAP right away.

I'll see I'll see how patient I'll be for a fix, considering having the Box replaced doesn't solve the problem.

I have a very similar setup as dweber has in post #58 with both my Hopper 3s connected to a Duo Hub. I am not having any issues. Both my Hopper 3s have Boot Strap Version 1012. I can get to all my connections real easy if anyone wants me to help troubleshoot with issue.

Reactions: JSheridan
I have a very similar setup as dweber has in post #58 with both my Hopper 3s connected to a Duo Hub. I am not having any issues. Both my Hopper 3s have Boot Strap Version 1012. I can get to all my connections real easy if anyone wants me to help troubleshoot with issue.

The Hoppers I'm working with are all Bootstrap 1112. I wonder if that has something to do with it?

Just checked mine. One is 1012 and the other is 1112. Both H3's started up fine this morning. I've got a few things to do this morning but I'll start playing with them in a couple of hours. I want to reconnect that jumper and remove the ethernet connection from one of the H3s. In the process I'll unplug both, plug in the newer one then plug in the one that wouldn't boot up yesterday to see if the problem persists. I've got this nagging feeling that I should leave well enough alone, but I just can't help it.

I see the "blink" a few seconds after bringing a Hopper/Joey out of standby mode is back with this version. Not a big deal, but it was nice when it was gone.

Well, this is interesting. I did as I described earlier. Unplugged both H3s. Reconnected the jumper between the Hybrid Solo Hubs (I earlier mistakenly called them Duo Hubs). Powered on the newest H3 with ethernet connected. After it boots up powered on yesterday's offending H3 with ethernet disconnected and Wireless disabled. It came up fine showing internet connectivity via Moca through the other H3. Interestingly, to me at least, the Moca Summary still shows the newest H3 as discovered/unlinked. The detail page still shows yellow arrows with no values. On the newer H3 the summary page shows the same while the Detail page shows green arrows and values.

Something else I found curious. With the setup from last night, jumper disconnected, the problem H3 would not complete a Status check. It stuck on 60%. With the jumper reconnected it completes with no errors. At this point everything seems to be working, except of course the original problem with watching a recording on the newest H3 from the other one. So, I spent about half a day of my time and a fair amount of JSheridan time to get back where I started from. Good thing I'm retired with nothing more important to do.

Now I have a new H3 coming and have to decide whether or not to keep it and send back the older one or just send it back. Does anyone know how to tell if the one I receive is refurbished or new? That might play into my decision. Although the thought of having to move a bunch of recordings isn't something I'd look forward to doing.

Well, this is interesting. I did as I described earlier. Unplugged both H3s. Reconnected the jumper between the Hybrid Solo Hubs (I earlier mistakenly called them Duo Hubs). Powered on the newest H3 with ethernet connected. After it boots up powered on yesterday's offending H3 with ethernet disconnected and Wireless disabled. It came up fine showing internet connectivity via Moca through the other H3. Interestingly, to me at least, the Moca Summary still shows the newest H3 as discovered/unlinked. The detail page still shows yellow arrows with no values. On the newer H3 the summary page shows the same while the Detail page shows green arrows and values.

Something else I found curious. With the setup from last night, jumper disconnected, the problem H3 would not complete a Status check. It stuck on 60%. With the jumper reconnected it completes with no errors. At this point everything seems to be working, except of course the original problem with watching a recording on the newest H3 from the other one. So, I spent about half a day of my time and a fair amount of JSheridan time to get back where I started from. Good thing I'm retired with nothing more important to do.

Now I have a new H3 coming and have to decide whether or not to keep it and send back the older one or just send it back. Does anyone know how to tell if the one I receive is refurbished or new? That might play into my decision. Although the thought of having to move a bunch of recordings isn't something I'd look forward to doing.

Sounds like you're luckier than I am. Keep an eye on them. :)

As far as I know all the replacements they're shipping out now are refurbs. New ones come in a loose fitting plastic anti static bag and refurbs are usually in shrink wrapped plastic.

Sounds like you're luckier than I am. Keep an eye on them. :)

As far as I know all the replacements they're shipping out now are refurbs. New ones come in a loose fitting plastic anti static bag and refurbs are usually in shrink wrapped plastic.

Thanks, that explains something. The new H3 I have was actually the second one they brought. The first was installed middle of last week and within a day or so got some error I can't remember. They sent a tech out and he decided the replacement was bad. I didn't see how it was packaged but it had large stickers on the receiver. The one that replaced it on Sunday was in the anti-static bag and had the stickers on the bag, not the receiver itself. The tech said he thought that meant it was new and not refurbished. If the one they're shipping shows up and looks refurbished I'll likely just send it back.

Thanks, that explains something. The new H3 I have was actually the second one they brought. The first was installed middle of last week and within a day or so got some error I can't remember. They sent a tech out and he decided the replacement was bad. I didn't see how it was packaged but it had large stickers on the receiver. The one that replaced it on Sunday was in the anti-static bag and had the stickers on the bag, not the receiver itself. The tech said he thought that meant it was new and not refurbished. If the one they're shipping shows up and looks refurbished I'll likely just send it back.

Yep, stickers on the receiver is a refurb. The one in the bag was a new one. :)

Reactions: navychop
Interesting. But, I have a bigger problem now. Initiated the software update 3 1/2 hours ago. The receiver seems to be looping from the 'Currently running a system check and will reboot shortly' message to the Start up splash message, to the 'Press any button to watch tv' message. Pressing any button does not result in the receiver turning on. If you don't press any button and just wait, the message stops and the whole process starts over.

Called Dish and after the obligatory pull the plug routine and numerous other press this button, press that button he told me the process just isn't finished and to wait 30 minutes. So now the 30 minutes is up and its been 4 hours since the process started. Guess I'll call them back. Its either that or try to schedule a root canal.
Should have let nature take it's course.:oldsmile2

Reactions: joegr
It's probably just what they had in stock. :)

No typically the reason is if a RSP did the install they purchased them much cheaper than a new one.
my old RSP from years back before that crap hole ViaSat bought them out did that for years, the owner even told us he did.
We would have reman receivers all over the place and rarely got a new one to push out unless it was something newly released.
You were better off telling customers at that point to have Dish send them a replacement for failure issues a few weeks after we were gone to avoid the TC so they could get a new one sent via the mail and send back the reman.
Stock being low maybe but if it was an RSP doing the install the above what I stated was likely the reason.

Should have let nature take it's course.:oldsmile2

No kidding! I just mentioned to my wife that I saw there was an update for our Sony 75X940E. I could download it to a USB drive or wait for the auto update. The look I got strongly suggested I wait for the auto update.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts