U528 new software 12/11/2018 on hopper 3 DVR

No typically the reason is if a RSP did the install they purchased them much cheaper than a new one.
my old RSP from years back before that crap hole ViaSat bought them out did that for years, the owner even told us he did.
We would have reman receivers all over the place and rarely got a new one to push out unless it was something newly released.
You were better off telling customers at that point to have Dish send them a replacement for failure issues a few weeks after we were gone to avoid the TC so they could get a new one sent via the mail and send back the reman.
Stock being low maybe but if it was an RSP doing the install the above what I stated was likely the reason.

That's not how it works for us. We get whatever the distributor has in stock whether it's new or refurbs and they're all the same price.

Got my software update U528 this morning 12/13/18 and as stated before the guide looks crisper and easier for me to read.

I have a bug with the U528.
When using the 54 voice remote. I speak "ESPN" it goes to ESPNU every time. This is also happening with my 2 4K Joeys. Never had this problem with U527.

Could be. I noticed the different Bootstrap versions too. I did the force the Upgrade Software tool with no issues for both Hopper 3s.

My DISH supplied H3 has Boot Strap 1012 and gets the updates first. Got U528 at 3am on the 11th. The purchased one has BS 1112 and gets updates about a day later. Got in at 8:17am on the 13th. A while back I pulled the two Solo Hubs and Jumper and replaced them with a Duo Hub. Things are working very nicely since. And MoCA has become more stable. Haven't had any MoCA pop ups since the switch.

Just looked and see MoCA is being wonky, it should settle. And the Switch Feeds (1-17) on the owned and (1-19) on the leased H3.

Any tests anyone would like me to try?

Reactions: charlesrshell
My DISH supplied H3 has Boot Strap 1012 and gets the updates first. Got U528 at 3am on the 11th. The purchased one has BS 1112 and gets updates about a day later. Got in at 8:17am on the 13th. A while back I pulled the two Solo Hubs and Jumper and replaced them with a Duo Hub. Things are working very nicely since. And MoCA has become more stable. Haven't had any MoCA pop ups since the switch.

Just looked and see MoCA is being wonky, it should settle. And the Switch Feeds (1-17) on the owned and (1-19) on the leased H3.

Any tests anyone would like me to try?

Why did you replace the Solo Hubs with a Duo? Was it to fix any issue or to just clean up the mounting? When you look at the Moca Summary on both H3s do both show green arrows and values? On mine with the 2 Solo Hubs one of the H3s has yellow arrows and no values. Not sure if that has anything to do with the Hubs or if its a problem. The Duo is cheap and I'll probably get one just to clean things up a bit but it would be nice to know if there is any other benefit. Thanks.

A Duo Hub should be equivalent to two Single Hubs with a jumper. For a while Dish was not authorizing installations with the Duo hub. When the Dish technician initially wired up my two Hopper3 receivers wrong, it broke my Family Room Hopper3 receiver such that it went into a constant reboot mode. Dish replaced the Family Room Hopper3 receiver but the Living Room Hopper3 receiver would only do moca one way. Of course I did not realize what had happened. I was able to watch programs from my Living Room Hopper3 on my Family Room Hopper3 but I could not watch programs from my Family Room Hopper3 on my Living Room Hopper3. After several visits with Digital Dish technicians who knew nothing about installing two Hopper3 receivers, Dish finally sent out an advanced technician. He diagnosed that the problem was a networking issue with my Living Room Hopper3. He replaced the Living Room Hopper3 receiver. He thinks that the initial technician had somehow applied power through the coax which caused the problem with both receivers. Of course that was several years ago when dual Hopper3 installations were quite rare. Since then networking on both Hopper3 and my Joey2 have been working well.

A more recent problem occurred when they moved my Dish to my roof due to line of site problem with a growing tree. They kept replacing my LNB’s and my DPH42 switch. After 4 visits the technician discovered that the coax from the ground block to my basement DPH42 switch was old and not rated correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

A Duo Hub should be equivalent to two Single Hubs with a jumper. For a while Dish was not authorizing installations with the Duo hub. When the Dish technician initially wired up my two Hopper3 receivers wrong, it broke my Family Room Hopper3 receiver such that it went into a constant reboot mode. Dish replaced the Family Room Hopper3 receiver but the Living Room Hopper3 receiver would only do moca one way. Of course I did not realize what had happened. I was able to watch programs from my Living Room Hopper3 on my Family Room Hopper3 but I could not watch programs from my Family Room Hopper3 on my Living Room Hopper3. After several visits with Digital Dish technicians who knew nothing about installing two Hopper3 receivers, Dish finally sent out an advanced technician. He diagnosed that the problem was a networking issue with my Living Room Hopper3. He replaced the Living Room Hopper3 receiver. He thinks that the initial technician had somehow applied power through the coax which caused the problem with both receivers. Of course that was several years ago when dual Hopper3 installations were quite rare. Since then networking on both Hopper3 and my Joey2 have been working well.

A more recent problem occurred when they moved my Dish to my roof due to line of site problem with a growing tree. They kept replacing my LNB’s and my DPH42 switch. After 4 visits the technician discovered that the coax from the ground block to my basement DPH42 switch was old and not rated correctly.

When you say applied power through the coax, are referring to the power inserter? I have one of those installed and was told they are required with the DPH42 switch. Your reboot problem sounds exactly like what I was experiencing. It only happened after I updated to 528 and stopped once I unplugged the other H3 as advised by JSheridan. I do have a new receiver being delivered tomorrow and if it is new and not refurbished I will likely swap mine out.

Why did you replace the Solo Hubs with a Duo? Was it to fix any issue or to just clean up the mounting? When you look at the Moca Summary on both H3s do both show green arrows and values? On mine with the 2 Solo Hubs one of the H3s has yellow arrows and no values. Not sure if that has anything to do with the Hubs or if its a problem. The Duo is cheap and I'll probably get one just to clean things up a bit but it would be nice to know if there is any other benefit. Thanks.

I did it for many reasons. Did you know that you can get this stuff from Walmart. I didn't, got mine from SolidSignal.com (Dish Network Hybrid Duo Hub (ES204861) from Solid Signal).

Yes, to clean things up and to solve some quirkiness. Since installing the Duo things have been great. No more little MoCA logo popping up in the lower corner of the main screen showing MoCA dropping to the other unit. No more Internet connection issues at the remote unit. MoCA settings are Green all over and the Signal is Strong. Plus, if you look at the posted pics of installs here, most have a Duo. Also I don't see the need or the rationale for the "too many things to do what one simple thing can". AND since I got really uncomfortable while talking to the "Training Installer" while he put the two Solos in. He had an excuse why not for every alternative that I suggested and have seen done. I shot down everything with no plausible reason. That makes me want to find better, simpler ways to do things. And I did . . .

I did it for many reasons. Did you know that you can get this stuff from Walmart. I didn't, got mine from SolidSignal.com (Dish Network Hybrid Duo Hub (ES204861) from Solid Signal).

Yes, to clean things up and to solve some quirkiness. Since installing the Duo things have been great. No more little MoCA logo popping up in the lower corner of the main screen showing MoCA dropping to the other unit. No more Internet connection issues at the remote unit. MoCA settings are Green all over and the Signal is Strong. Plus, if you look at the posted pics of installs here, most have a Duo. Also I don't see the need or the rationale for the "too many things to do what one simple thing can". AND since I got really uncomfortable while talking to the "Training Installer" while he put the two Solos in. He had an excuse why not for every alternative that I suggested and have seen done. I shot down everything with no plausible reason. That makes me want to find better, simpler ways to do things. And I did . . .

Thanks, found it on Amazon for even less. About $11, worth it just to clean up the rats nest a bit.

When you say applied power through the coax, are referring to the power inserter? I have one of those installed and was told they are required with the DPH42 switch. Your reboot problem sounds exactly like what I was experiencing. It only happened after I updated to 528 and stopped once I unplugged the other H3 as advised by JSheridan. I do have a new receiver being delivered tomorrow and if it is new and not refurbished I will likely swap mine out.

You are correct. The power inserter is needed for the DPH42 switch. But the initial installer was convinced that a DPH42 switch was not needed. He tried to hook both Hopper3 receivers to the 2 ports on the LNB. Of course he was wrong. He then felt that he was using the wrong coax and he used my antenna coax. My antenna coax has a power inserter that powers the preamplifier on my roof antenna. I ended up replacing the channelmaster power supply. Thus power was being applied to the Hopper3 satellite in. Again the advanced Dish tech was speculating as to why both of my Hopper3 receivers needed to be replaced.

I did the same thing. As soon as the DISH technician left I removed both Solo Hubs & jumper coax then installed a Duo Hub.

Thanks, found it on Amazon for even less. About $11, worth it just to clean up the rats nest a bit.

I checked my paperwork and did get it from Amazon, also for cheaper. I looked at SolidSignal first since I bought the H3 there. It not only cleaned up my install, it cleaned up and made a difference with the MoCA.

Have fun!!!

The replacement receiver showed up this morning. It is a remanufactured receiver. The one I am replacing is the owned receiver and is out of warranty (12 months). So now I have to decide, do I replace the one I have which is functioning fine at the moment, with the remanufactured unit, or do I keep the one I have and send the remanufactured one back. Since we had a remanufactured receiver go bad in two days recently I'm inclined to just ship this thing back and hope my original receiver keeps trucking along.

With my luck you can bet that which ever decision I make, it will end up being the wrong one.

Anytime you get one mailed to you by dish, it will be refurbished. And I have seen a lot of those have a problem

That seems to support my recent experience with a refurbished unit. Right now I'm leaning toward keeping the original one and if it fails just fork out the money and buy a new replacement.

Reactions: HipKat
The first two H3's that were installed were new and both failed. one at install and the other days later. The replacements that are probably refurbished and have been working great. No issues . . . so far.

Reactions: TheKrell
The first two H3's that were installed were new and both failed. one at install and the other days later. The replacements that are probably refurbished and have been working great. No issues . . . so far.

Hah! Way to ruin my theory there oh Sandy One. On the plus side, my Duo Hub arrived today, gotta love Amazon. Installed and working fine. But of course I ran into that looping startup problem again. Unplugged other receiver and resolved the problem. Made me wonder though, if the problem is seeing the other Hopper, why will the one I unplug to fix the issue start up fine? I really hate having stuff that is too complicated for my aging brain. Of course that problem existed long before the aging started.

I have to say Dish customer service is either improving or I just drew a lucky number. After the replacement receiver was ordered I got a call, went to voicemail, then an email from someone in the Technical Case Management Department. He said he had reviewed my call and wanted to check in and make sure my issues were resolved. I emailed him this afternoon telling him about the refurb receiver and that I would likely be returning it.

He responded late this afternoon and said to keep the replacement for 10 days or so to make sure my receiver was working properly. And, if I had any further problems after that to let him know and he would contact the manufacturing team and try to get me a new receiver. Like I said, either I got lucky or maybe being a customer for 22 years is finally paying off. I'd bet on luck.

Hah! Way to ruin my theory there oh Sandy One. On the plus side, my Duo Hub arrived today, gotta love Amazon. Installed and working fine. But of course I ran into that looping startup problem again. Unplugged other receiver and resolved the problem. Made me wonder though, if the problem is seeing the other Hopper, why will the one I unplug to fix the issue start up fine? I really hate having stuff that is too complicated for my aging brain. Of course that problem existed long before the aging started.

GPM, my sincerest apologies. I had no intention of ruining anything. Your Theory has feet . . . but they are stinky. Throughout the years I have come to prefer refurb’s over new and buy refurbished whenever I can. Not only for the reduced pricing, but that the error that the device had that made it fail was dealt with, fingers crossed, and the unit “has” been gone through with "one on one attention" and should be in better condition than its assembly line compatriots.

BUT, this is where your theory comes walking in, since encountering DISH’s form of the Refurb Process, as we are discussing here and has been in many other forums, I will give you that these boxes may not be as well off as other manufacturers refurbs. It's a crapshoot.

But now that I say that I have noticed that the DVR Full meter on my main H3 is all over the place leading me to think it's not accurate at all. Across the board I think that there is one guy, Bob, that has a grungy office way in the back and he’s miserable, who makes ALL the Process Thermometers for everything and they are all wrong!!!

That's not how it works for us. We get whatever the distributor has in stock whether it's new or refurbs and they're all the same price.

Can't speak for all RSP's I just know what my old ones did and they weren't afraid to make it known.
Every one that I saw mailed out was new, never refurbished. Can't say that isn't how it is now though who knows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts