UHD DirecTv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nigelcaruthers

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 18, 2014
charlestom
I have a Slimline SWM dish, H24-700 tuner and I just bought a Vizio 55' UHD tv and I'm not real impressed with the picture.
Anyone fill me in on why the picture isn't much better than my previous Vizio 48' HDTV?
Blue Ray DVD's have a store quality picture but I expected a much better picture from the DirecTv HD feed.
Above average quality cables etc.
Dish signal numbers are all above 95 strength. Satellite 103 signal numbers are all 85 or greater.

Cheers
nigel

Why do you expect the DirecTV HD feed to look better on a UHD TV? The feed still has the same data content...

To respond to a previous response;
Because the UHD tv has 2160 capability for a sharper image and wondering if the DirecTv feed has the ability to allow for the UHD tv picture quality with my existing tuner or?
Should have read up before posting. After I posted I dug around and found out it seems I need a different tuner, C61 something before it will work?

Yes the C61K will give you 4K on your set, however only VOD.

DIRECTV does not support live 4K now, however when they do you will need a new dish or LNB as well as a new Genie Receiver (HR54) as it is rumored that the HR54 will be the first receiver to support the new reverse beams from the DIRECTV 15 satellite and will also be the first to support the transponder bonding that will be used by the live 4K channels. Also note that the HR54 itself can not display 4K and you will need a C64K or a 4K TV that supports DIRECTV RVU in order to watch that 4K content.

Scott; thanks for the help and advice,
What if any "upgrades" do I need to make to take advantage of the UHD tv picture quality from my existing equipment with DirecTv service?
Should I buy a C64K tuner and have it activated to better my picture quality or wait?
How can I verify my NEW Vizio 55' UHD tv supports the DirecTv RVU, (what's RVU mean) to be sure it was worth getting this new set?

Cheers
nigel

Scott;
Just ordered a C61K from your link.
Got two day delivery.
When it gets here should I just install it like any other and then call DirecTv, (I have the technician contact number at DirecTv) and have the existing one closed and the new one activated?

Cheers
nigel

Scott;
If you couldn't tell already I'm not real good with computers but I've been dealing with DirecTv systems since they first came out.
I don't have internet at my new house so I hope I don't need it for this to work.
What's VOD?
Thanks again.
I'll get back with, i'm sure more questions and updates Friday when the tuner gets here.

Cheers
nigel

vod is video on demand

i think it may require internet connection
i too do not have it due to lack of internet availability

I've been dealing with DirecTv systems since they first came out.
I don't have internet at my new house so I hope I don't need it for this to work.
What's VOD?l

If you've been "dealing w/DTV since they first came out", I would think you would know these answers.
But Scott already answered this for you:

Yup. :) Just remember all the 4K content on DIRECTV today is VOD content that gets downloaded off the internet.

So w/out internet, you basically spent $99 to get the same thing you have now...not to mention eventually to get LIVE UHD programming:

you will need a new dish or LNB as well as a new Genie Receiver (HR54) as it is rumored that the HR54 will be the first receiver to support the new reverse beams from the DIRECTV 15 satellite and will also be the first to support the transponder bonding that will be used by the live 4K channels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimbo
So I guess now I need to ask, "when the new C61K box gets here Friday, will gain any picture quality by having it activated over what I have now, since I don't have internet access"?

Cheers
nigel

Several responses;
Voyager6; I don't know what you mean by "upconversion". I didn't see any thing referring to that while doing the initial setup.
Jimbo; I have HDMI cables for my all connections if that's what you mean.
Zashel; You're right, I don't have Genie. Is that something I need to look into? Don't know what it is.
ejb1980; Scott recommended the C61K as the newest tuner so that's why I ordered one.
I'm hoping / assuming the C61K is a tuner that I feed the sat feed cable into and HDMI cable out to the tv after activation?

Thanks for all your help and patience.

Cheers
nigel

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts