UHD DirecTv

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Up conversion is not a setting. If you have a uhdtv the set will up convert to uhd. Still, the tv can only do so much. Bad source = bad picture. No matter the quality of the tv.

Yup. :) Just remember all the 4K content on DIRECTV today is VOD content that gets downloaded off the internet.
Not quite bud, the 4K VOD content available right now downloads for the satellite NOT internet. The movies and promos are put in a rotation cycle and when one is available and requested by the customer it downloads. Also having Genie Recommends turned on means that DIRECTV will have two fresh copies available at any time on the customers DVR (Genie) of 4K content

I would think D* would not lease a 61 if you didn't already have a genie to work it ....

If you look back, he didn't get it thru D*, he ordered it on his own from Solid Signal (because he knows ALL about these since he's done D* since day 1, you know...even though he doesn't even know what a Genie is... :rolleyes: )
Solid Signal probably assumes that if you're smart enough to be ordering this stuff on your own, you know how it all works...& they probably will NOT allow him to return it, either. Oh well, good $99 lesson for him to learn... :D

Reactions: bobvick
Anyone fill me in on why the picture isn't much better than my previous Vizio 48' HDTV?
l
The same reason why SD looks like crap on todays HDTV's. Your TV have more pixels than the info is getting, thus it has to interpolate the missing missing ones. Some TVs do a great job at up-scaling, others do a piss poor job.

Scott; thanks for the help and advice,
What if any "upgrades" do I need to make to take advantage of the UHD tv picture quality from my existing equipment with DirecTv service?
Should I buy a C64K tuner and have it activated to better my picture quality or wait?
How can I verify my NEW Vizio 55' UHD tv supports the DirecTv RVU, (what's RVU mean) to be sure it was worth getting this new set?

Cheers
nigel
Visio currently does not support RVU. As of this writing only Samsung, Sony, & LG sports RVU

Scott;
Just ordered a C61K from your link.
Got two day delivery.
When it gets here should I just install it like any other and then call DirecTv, (I have the technician contact number at DirecTv) and have the existing one closed and the new one activated?

Cheers
nigel
Without a Genie, a C61K is just paper wight. Also don't expect the C61K to make any non-4K picture any better than you have now. The C61K only up-converts 1080p to 4K, but then again there is no linear TV on 1080p either. Only VOD

Several responses;
Voyager6; I don't know what you mean by "upconversion". I didn't see any thing referring to that while doing the initial setup.
Jimbo; I have HDMI cables for my all connections if that's what you mean.
Zashel; You're right, I don't have Genie. Is that something I need to look into? Don't know what it is.
ejb1980; Scott recommended the C61K as the newest tuner so that's why I ordered one.
I'm hoping / assuming the C61K is a tuner that I feed the sat feed cable into and HDMI cable out to the tv after activation?

Thanks for all your help and patience.

Cheers
nigel
All the 'C' models have NO TUNER.

The Genies model HR34/HR44/H44 & HR54 have five tuners that the 'C' models use.

Genies are servers. Genie Minis, AKA 'C' models, are clients.

Reactions: Jimbo
Drucifer; Thanks very much for the explanation. Now I see the progression.
Scott did a great job explaining but I just didn't have the deep back round to understand.
So, looks like I need to get a DVR, (H54) of the latest generation and attach the C61K to it.
We have a DVR in one room and my H24 is out in the shop in the barn so no need for DVR out here so far.
I mistakenly thought the C61K was a tuner but now I know, I think.

Cheers
nigel

If you look back, he didn't get it thru D*, he ordered it on his own from Solid Signal (because he knows ALL about these since he's done D* since day 1, you know...even though he doesn't even know what a Genie is... :rolleyes: )
Solid Signal probably assumes that if you're smart enough to be ordering this stuff on your own, you know how it all works...& they probably will NOT allow him to return it, either. Oh well, good $99 lesson for him to learn... :D
So does he get billed after a certain amount of time if it's not activated ?
I know they use to do that, not sure if it's still being done.

I sure hope not, about the billing.
I did some reading here and at the site Scott linked me to and I guess from what I read I can only have one Genie per household so the C61K, I was going to put out in the shop, not wanted or needed in the house, can't be used unless I attach it to the DVR inside the house. Buying an HR54, won't be allowed to be activated even thought I have no need or intention to use it to record??
I hope my statement / question here makes sense.

Cheers
nigel

The HR54 is a Genie. The C61K is NOT a Genie it's a client (sometimes called a mini-Genie, confusing). You need a Genie to drive a client. How far is it from the house to the shop? The dish is at the house, yes?

texasbrit;
Thanks for the inquiry.
200 ft..The shop / barn has its own dish but they're both combined on the same bill.
The house dish has the DVR and the shop / barn has a tuner, HD, i'll get the model number, and I'm not sure but I don't think it has DVR recording capabilities but i'll check and get back.
Sounds stupid but I never thought about it 'cause there's no reason to record there, it's just there for watching racing and the DVD player for concert music.
My brother had it installed so I never looked, it just works.

Cheers
nigel

OK.
The C61K would need to be connected to a Genie.
200ft is certainly iffy unless you run RG11 to the shop.
All the 4K material is currently only from the internet and you say you do not have internet.

It seems right now you will not be able to use the C61K at all. You won't even be able to activate it. IMHO you need to contact Solid Signal for a refund.

At some time in the future there will be 4K material from the satellite. Then you would need a Genie and a C61K (or a Genie and an RVU TV) in the shop if you want 4K there. There's also probably going to be a Genie that does not need a C61K or an RVU TV but I have no idea when we will see that. 2017?

I think you started off by saying how can you improve your UHD picture with non-4K material. There is no way to do this. All you get is the upscaling carried out by the TV, see the post from peds48. All this mention of C61K, Genie etc is not relevant.

Reactions: Jimbo
texasbrit - I'm sorry to be repetitive, but I'm still absolutely flabbergasted that you (we) are having to spell ALL of this out, to someone that started this thread by boasting
I've been dealing with DirecTv systems since they first came out.
I hope to god this ISN'T one of D*'s current techs they send out... :eek:

Last edited:
I had a customer about 2 years ago, "as you can tell im really into electronics" dude had an old tube tv with like 5 vcrs hooked together. Dbag

I'm sorry I don't meet "dishrich's" intellectual standards, every forum has at least one a$$hole that looks for things to pick out and try to make themselves look better by trying to making looking others look bad, trying to pick a fight, rather than being helpful.
I said, "I've been dealing with DirecTv since they first came out" not that I knew everything, so as usual, with these people, they are usually wrong, so I and most tend to ignore them and I will.

texasbrit, again thanks for the help, you and Scott, (and others) have been a great help. When I get the numbers from the shop tuner i'll get back with better informed queries.

I was hoping for 4K quality and I should have done my homework before I bought the new tv but I did need another tv so I thought I'd go for it while I was at it.
Had I done my homework I wouldn't have bought Vizio. Just have had great service from my existing 48" Vizio.
Solid Signal, as well, have been a great help with other bits and with a little more help i'm sure i'll have the best available DirecTv experience with what I have to work with.

Cheers
nigel

Last edited:
I'm sorry I don't meet "dishrich's" intellectual standards, every forum has at least one a$$hole that looks for things to pick out rather than be helpful, but I said, "I've been dealing DirecTv since they first came out" not that I knew everything, so as usual, with these people, they are usually wrong, so I and most tend to ignore them and I will.

texasbrit, again thanks for the help, you and Scott, (and others) have been a great help. When I get the numbers from the shop tuner i'll get back with better informed queries.

I was hoping for 4K quality and I should have done my homework before I bought the new tv but I did need another tv so I thought I'd go for it while I was at it.
Had I done my homework I wouldn't have bought Vizio. Just have had great service from my existing 48" Vizio.
Solid Signal, as well have been a great help with other bits and with a little more help i'm sure i'll have the best available DirecTv experience with what I have to work with.

Cheers
nigel
So, are you going to try and return the recvr you currently have, it doesn't work without a Genie to power it.

Jimbo, i'm gonna get the numbers from the shop tuner and see if I can add a genie to that service, (quantity of Genies per household allowed by mother DirecTv being the question) and go from there.
Solid Signal has some great prices and they're very helpful like here at Satellite Guys, so i'll probably just hang onto it for the future.
Hopefully I'll be able to mate it up with a Genie and get the best going at this time without internet.
As noted, I have an old tuner so I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to upgrade my H24 to a newer tuner anyway.
I'll get back with the updates.

Cheers
nigel

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)