UHD DirecTv

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Jimbo, i'm gonna get the numbers from the shop tuner and see if I can add a genie to that service, (quantity of Genies per household allowed by mother DirecTv being the question) and go from there.
Solid Signal has some great prices and they're very helpful like here at Satellite Guys, so i'll probably just hang onto it for the future.
Hopefully I'll be able to mate it up with a Genie and get the best going at this time without internet.
As noted, I have an old tuner so I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to upgrade my H24 to a newer tuner anyway.
I'll get back with the updates.

Cheers
nigel

Jimbo, i'm gonna get the numbers from the shop tuner and see if I can add a genie to that service, (quantity of Genies per household allowed by mother DirecTv being the question) and go from there.
Solid Signal has some great prices and they're very helpful like here at Satellite Guys, so i'll probably just hang onto it for the future.
Hopefully I'll be able to mate it up with a Genie and get the best going at this time without internet.
As noted, I have an old tuner so I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to upgrade my H24 to a newer tuner anyway.

Cheers
nigel
Make sure you tread clearly DIRECTV ToS. I think it says you MUST activate the "receiver" within 30 days or risk being charged a fee

Make sure you tread clearly DIRECTV ToS. I think it says you MUST activate the "receiver" within 30 days or risk being charged a fee
I know this use to be the way it was, but I don't know if it is still, I would guess it is, but haven't heard much of late either way.

Cheers
nigel
See my post. The C61K is NOT a Genie!!! It will only work if it is connected to a Genie (HR34/44/54). It's unlikely you have a Genie already in the shop; assuming you don't you would need a Genie there, and probably a replacement for the Dish/LNB because the Genie will only work with an SWM system. And you won't get ANY 4K unless you have internet.
I still think you should return the C61K to Solid Signal for a refund, before the mandatory activation date, and revisit this whole thing when there is linear 4K from DirecTV.

texasbrit;
Thanks for the info.
I DO have an SWM dish there already.
I'll get ahold of Solid Signal right now and see if I need to send the C61K back to forgo any auto activation charges.
Sounds like your advice is the smartest and i'll go with it until I get more numbers and I have the ability to tie into the Genie or not.
Now that I think of it, how can / will DirecTv be able to start charging me without me activating my C61K as I bought it directly from Solid Signal and have not given anyone an account number or phone number attached to the account?
I did e-mail Solid Signal and asked and awaiting a response as to send it back or not.

Cheers
nigel

Last edited:
texasbrit;
Thanks for the info.
I DO have an SWM dish there already.
I'll get ahold of Solid Signal right now and see if I need to send the C61K back to forgo any auto activation charges.
Sounds like your advice is the smartest and i'll go with it until I get more numbers and I have the ability to tie into the Genie or not.
Now that I think of it, how can / will DirecTv be able to start charging me without me activating my C61K as I bought it directly from Solid Signal and have not given anyone an account number or phone number attached to the account?
I did e-mail Solid Signal and asked and awaiting a response as to send it back or not.

Cheers
nigel
They (solid signal) don't need the account number, all they need is your credit card number. DIRECTV charges back SolidSignal if they receiver is not activated, in return SS charges you.

Now I see.
I'm glad I didn't pitch the box and packing.
Looks like back to SS.

You guys are a great help !!
Guys like me that don't know, can ask most anything and get educated and hopefully up to speed and have a better tv experience and maybe help others down the road.
I will be continuing research to get better trained from now on.
I'm sure more questions later.

Cheers
nigel

Reactions: raoul5788
Now I see.
I'm glad I didn't pitch the box and packing.
Looks like back to SS.

You guys are a great help !!
Guys like me that don't know, can ask most anything and get educated and hopefully up to speed and have a better tv experience and maybe help others down the road.
I will be continuing research to get better trained from now on.
I'm sure more questions later.

Cheers
nigel
Thats what were here for ...
We all started out just like you ...

Feel free to ask questions, somebody will have an answer ....

Got a reply from SS and Ashley said ," until the tuner, (C61K) is activated DirecTv nor SS will not charge for it ", so since I already have it, i'll hold onto it until I can use it.
Just an update.

Cheers
nigel

Got a reply from SS and Ashley said ," until the tuner, (C61K) is activated DirecTv nor SS will not charge for it ", so since I already have it, i'll hold onto it until I can use it.
Just an update.

Cheers
nigel
OK, but will you ever use it? When DirectV starts delivering linear (via the satellite) UHD, there will probably be a Genie that connects to a 4K TV without the need for a C61...

OK, but will you ever use it? When DirectV starts delivering linear (via the satellite) UHD, there will probably be a Genie that connects to a 4K TV without the need for a C61...

I think you are going to see the 4k client model for a long time, HR54/C61. That probably won't change until there is a significant amount of linear programming, finalized standards, and installed base. The client model works well because the HR54 has minimum hardware investment in 4k, so it will serve well as a standard Genie. C61 clients will be cheaper to replace if standards demand. It appears that Dish Network is going in the same direction with the upcoming 4k Joey client.

Both good points.
For now, since there are no charges until I activate it according to Ashley at SS, (the C61K) i'll just hang on to it and see what happens with 4K from DirecTv in the coming months.

Cheers
nigel

wasn't the latest sat launched with 4k content in mind?
Partly.
But there's lots of speculation about using the HR54 (possibly with "transponder bonding") with the C61 until, as patmurphey says, there's a significant amount of 4K linear programming, and an installed base. Maybe even until the technology reduces in size a little. An "HR64" using the technology in the C61 for 4K will be much larger than the current HR54.

There are 3 channels ready to go live in 4K today... they are just waiting for the providers to get their crap in order.so they can start delivering the 4K content they have ready to go.

Both good points.
For now, since there are no charges until I activate it according to Ashley at SS, (the C61K) i'll just hang on to it and see what happens with 4K from DirecTv in the coming months.

Cheers
nigel
Personally, I would make another call to D* to verify that with their side of things and maybe even get them to send you an email so you have proof.

You certainly need something in writing from Solid Signal also. Verbal confirmation isn't enough.

Thanks guys for looking out for me.
I sent an e-mail when you guys said they'd, DirecTv) start charging me, to SS and Ashley returned my response by e-mail
Should I call D* just to be sure?
I wouldn't think SS would misinform me but worse things have happened.

Cheers
nigel

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts