UHF remote on 508 receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ladyharley

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I searched the forum and saw possible solutions to my problem which I've tried to no avail.

I have had to replace (3) 508's within the last 7 months due to STB reboots, which I found out was probably a satellite problem not a receiver problem.

I had the UHF little antenna connected to a coaxial cable that went into the back of the receiver and ran it into the hallway about 3-4 feet. For the prior two receivers and even the 501 the remote worked great with the UHF antenna running to the hallway within visible site and could control the receiver, after years of using an RCA IR I was estatic.

Now with this receiver, nothing had changed .... the setup won't work to control the receiver from the bedroom. I changed the cable, took off splitter and used connector, put on back of receiver.... nothing. It was working fine before this receiver and I don't want to replace another one and lose all my save programs again! The two remotes are new dish DVR remotes and maybe 7months old. I put my hand in front of the remote and it paused unpaused and then it would change and then wouldn't and then it would, sporatic in the living room, not bedroom. I put tape across the IR on front of the receiver and it still worked in the LR not bedroom. Took off the UHF antenna in back and it still worked from the living room only would not see through the wall, of course. The back of the receiver if only 4-5 feet from the bedroom and the back of the receiver is facing the bedroom from the living room.

If I have the initial setup in tact within the bedroom it won't work, if I move to the doorway it will work. I extended it to inside the bedroom door with no interference, won't work????? They send me another little UHF antenna, and the only difference is green tape on it and it doesn't work. Dish doesn't have a clue on how to fix this.

Any "other" suggestions other than being SOL?

Thanks..

Only a couple things coming to mind. First of all, which version remote is it? I assume its the same one you've been using. Have you changed the batteries lately? I've seen someone accidently put one of the 4 batteries in the wrong way in a UHF remote and have it act that way. Will work in the room but range sucks and it acts sporadically.

The remotes are 6.4 IR/UHF PRO. I have rechargeable batteries and after reading your post put in 4 non rechargeable new batteries, no go. The batteries are inserted correctly. Neither remotes work from the bedroom. Yes, the batteries were replaced last week.

There is a switch under the battery cover on that one too. Make sure its set to Band A. I don't think the 500 series receivers support band B. Also, try changing the remote address. You may be getting interference from something in the house or nearby on a certain frequency.

Ok, the tab is black and dish helped me set it up a while back. The switch is on default A. I had already changed from remote (8) and changed it to (5) and same thing but will try others I guess.... Amazing, nothing changed and it worked great only difference is receiver

Its probably going to be a bad UHF remote module in the receiver. Have you sent back the old receiver yet? You can remove the cover with just two screws and swap them if you feel comfortable doing that.

Actually I have a 501 back up receiver, will that work to switch? Where in the unit is the remote module in the receiver? Is it attached to the coax connector protruding from the back?

Thank you for replying. I tested that UHF remote from the living room on the 501 with the current remotes and it works. So I will change them. However, does anyone know where they sell parts for these receivers? Dish won't sell them. I do need to get another one to replace the one I'm taking out. I'm a work at home agent and I need the programming for my job. I can't believe that dish would pay so much money shipping out defective receivers and the cost involved with UPS rather than ship small parts when the consumer will take responsibiity for the replacement...that would certainly help stop the rate increases HA!

yes, remove retaining nut and unplug module.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)