61.5 internationals suddenly shift to 8PSK > MPEG4 SD, all of a sudden, whaaaaaat????

r10fret

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
FL
According to today's uplink first dish moved some internationals to an 8PSK transponder @ 61.5, then a few hours later they changed the channel type from MPEG2-SD to MPEG4-SD, so far only seems to affect the Polish internationals at 61.5, but with such a sudden and unexpected move like this will the rest of the remaining internationals @ 61.5 be next????

If they are finally going to do this (and it is long overdue) they should at least have prepared their customers, I would assume there are at 150k still using MPEG2/8PSK or dare I say MPEG2/QPSK that take the remaining internationals from 61.5. This company proves time and time again that they are not forward looking, just today they are still installing MPEG2 only 625 for 61.5 international subs. And yet still no advisory slate up on 61.5 telling people to immediatly call in for equipment upgrade to MPEG4. So dish delays and drags their feet for the last 3-4 years by leaving these @ 61.5 in MPEG2 then suddenly shifts over to MPEG4.

Glad my 222k (sin s-video output capability) is standing by to replace my 322 should my international 118.7 rain fade backups @ 61.5 all of a sudden make an unannouced move like this. DDDCs~!

PS: Something is also up with 9850 KBSworld which they have duplicated again @ 61.5 from 652. They removed that virtual remap years ago and now its back. whaaaaaattt?

Well, they are adding new HD channels to 72 and 129, yet their are thousands of people still on 110/119/61.5 and Dish expects us to pay to have a new dish installed. Dish SUCKS.

Whats ironic is today they moved the 4 MPEG4 SD internationals into the transponder space that was vacated by the Disney HD dispute (tp 25 @ 61.5), so I guess those won't be coming back at least until the new satellite is in place that can provide the new tps that are currently turned off @ 61.5. That's the dish jockey's for ya!

Do you sub to Polish channels from 61.5? If not, how do you know Dish did not contact those subs to get them ready for a change? You have 118.7, so you are unaffected and they did need to contact you.

Lets see how I would know, currently @ 61.5 their is no advisory/international slate channel up on the old 600 range channel locations, except 652 telling everyone to move to 9850, and dish is still actively installing international subs @ 61.5 with MPEG2 only hardware in order to dump the obsolete hardware onto the market and if possible when they have SSN (and a bonus to dish) lock them into 24 month terms with junk hardware to only force second extended term later, as far as the "take a nap" crack above, looks like grandpa at dish is the one taking the nap, otherwise the company would not be run in such an inefficient and deliberately deceptive manner when dealing with so called "deadbeat" international subs. Their words not mine.

International subs pay 2x a premium channel so the deadbeat is dish.

Do you sub to Polish channels from 61.5? If not, how do you know Dish did not contact those subs to get them ready for a change? You have 118.7, so you are unaffected and they did need to contact you.

I set up a Polish super pack account on 110,118.7 and 119 on a 211k to get the HDMI output, I hope these changes won't effect my customer.

No 118.7 isn't involved (yet) and the 211k does MPEG4 SD anyway so they are safe. Unless dish jockey's deliberately break the satellite at 118.7 anik F3!

International subs are among the most loyal customers, because unlike the flip floppers HD fanatics with internationals they really have no other competition to go back and forth between. Directv requires a lease plus their international worldirect offering can't match up when it comes lineup. Dish lets you buy the hardware outright which makes it possible for most international subs to get in the door but the fact that they are still selling international subs a bill of goods by giving them soon to be doorstops MPEG2 hardware is where the problem lies. Dish has some nerve still continuing with first time MPEG2 owned activations. Dish is taking advantage of international subs because they know they don't have the where with all to report dish for fraud when they make them have to buy all new equipment very shortly for MPEG4.

Lets see how I would know, currently @ 61.5 their is no advisory/international slate channel up on the old 600 range channel locations, except 652 telling everyone to move to 9850, and dish is still actively installing international subs @ 61.5 with MPEG2 only hardware in order to dump the obsolete hardware onto the market and if possible when they have SSN (and a bonus to dish) lock them into 24 month terms with junk hardware to only force second extended term later, as far as the "take a nap" crack above, looks like grandpa at dish is the one taking the nap, otherwise the company would not be run in such an inefficient and deliberately deceptive manner when dealing with so called "deadbeat" international subs. Their words not mine.

International subs pay 2x a premium channel so the deadbeat is dish.

So far, only the Polish channels have changed. Maybe some of the others will stay MPEG2 for a while. When E15 is active, there will be plenty of space on the Eastern Arc. No rush to move it to MPEG4. Perhaps there were fewer Polish pack subs, so they found it cost effective to change them, whereas the other have more. Keep in mind that the MPEG2 equipment Dish is using is cheap to them because they can reuse the mass amounts that have been returned with HD upgrades. Why not leverage that investment?

Yes, internationals are expensive. But it is supply and demand. Demand is low, so Dish is one of the few that offers them, thus no competition, so Dish can charge what they want. Plus, I imagine it is a bit pricier to gain permission to rebroadcast, gather the signals, and backfeed them to Cheyenne, compared to the English channels which usually come straight off c-band.

May base point is, co long as Dish got in their database, found everyone with a Polish pack that got them only for 61.5, an upgraded them (which I believe is usually done without a contract extension), I don't see a big deal. Sorry you lost your "rain fade backups" but dish is under no obligation to provide them.

In regards to KBS World switching from channel 652 which is on 61.5 to channel 9850 which is 118, anyone else experiencing a bad picture of kbs on ch. 9850? I've noticed the picture quality on ch.9850 is terrible compared to ch. 652. The sharpness is below quality and a bit blurry. anyone else experiencing this as well?

Yes this has been low res for years, ever since it was on originally (and still is on) 121 west, but 9850 is also on 61.5 now in higher res, but if you have 118.7 connected you wont see 9850 @ 61.5 because they give priority to 9850 @ 118.7 in the guide maps.

Yes this has been low res for years, ever since it was on originally (and still is on) 121 west, but 9850 is also on 61.5 now in higher res, but if you have 118.7 connected you wont see 9850 @ 61.5 because they give priority to 9850 @ 118.7 in the guide maps.

is there a work around to this? how could i get it my system to pick up the 61.5 feed?

How do you get channel 704? Someone said this channel has excellent sharp picture quality.

KBS WORLD picture quality has been blurry for atleast 3 years. I get this station on Digital with the Digital Antenna without Dish Network and it is SUPER SUPER CLEAR like Blu-Ray quality.

International subs are among the most loyal customers ... they really have no other competition to go back and forth between.
I'm sorry, but not having other options, which forces one to stay with Dish, doesn't make them "among the most loyal customers".

How do you get channel 704? Someone said this channel has excellent sharp picture quality.

KBS WORLD picture quality has been blurry for atleast 3 years. I get this station on Digital with the Digital Antenna without Dish Network and it is SUPER SUPER CLEAR like Blu-Ray quality.

704 is not a PI channel but is just a virtual remap of 9850 @ 118.7 anyway so it has the same problem.

OTA must be getting it from 652 / 9850 @ 61.5.

This company has become a joke. ive been in contact with tech support twice in the last 24 hours about my issue with the bad pic quality on kbs world on ch 9850. I made the point that others on sat guys are reporting the same, that the pic quality for 9850 is bad when it picks up the signal from 118, but that the pic quality is good when it gets signal from 61.5. Well all they would do for me is submit a problem report and encouraged me to tell others to do the same. After speaking with the tech agent, several hours later, i tried turning on kbs world on 9850 and noticed the pic quality had improved. it was just as good as the pic quality on ch 652. when i hit the info button, i noticed that i no longer was getting 9850 on 118, but it was now picking up 61.5. of course this was great news and i was happy. but that happiness was short lived, several hours later, tuned in again, and the pic quality was back to being bad. Hit the info button, and noticed the channel was again getting the singal from 118. So obviously the issue comes from the channel getting signal on 118. Again i contacted dish tech support to update them, again got the same run around, they offered no fix to issue, said all they could do was submit prob report as they say, there are no issues on file about the channel. i am so fed up with this company, its one thing after another, the price increases, the equip fee increases, the stupidity at management to tech support, the price increase on international packs, including rtpi which i subscribe to, they increased fees on that channel alone, twice in 4 months. they are lucky i dont have much choice in switching, as neither cable nor direct offer these two channels that i watch.
so if anyone has these issues i urge you to submit a prob report please. in the meantime anynone know what options i have to get a better pic quality on kbs world. i asked tech support about unhooking my 118 from my setup, they said as far as they know the company plans are to move all international programming to 118. so i guess thats not an option. thinking about ota, but dont think thats an option either in my area, i live in south eastern massachusetts

thanks for any help

KBSW 9850 @ 118.7 finally fixed after 3 years!

_________

Dear Mr. PITA, (replaced my name with that one just for yucks)

Thank you for expressing your concerns and interest in DISH Network. Customer input is an important tool in our efforts to continuously improve the quality of the DISH Network service.

Thank you for your email. I did check this service and found it to be blurry. We have opened a Discrepancy Ticket and this issue was escalated to our Baseband Engineers. Our engineers did find the problem and have corrected it. We will keep the Discrepancy Ticket opened to ensure the problem has been resolved.

We appreciate the time DISH Network customers take to email their audio/video quality concerns. Thank you for your patience and for being a valued customer.

EchoStar Broadcasting Corporation
Quality Assurance Department
dishquality@echostar.com

more than "patient!"

Got the same email also. i had sent out an email yesterday about this issue out to Dish, and forwarded the same email to quality and ceo@echostar. So glad the fixed the issue, and responded so quickly. Let's hope it stays fixed. :)

KBSW 9850 @ 118.7 finally fixed after 3 years!

_________

Dear Mr. PITA, (replaced my name with that one just for yucks)

Thank you for expressing your concerns and interest in DISH Network. Customer input is an important tool in our efforts to continuously improve the quality of the DISH Network service.

Thank you for your email. I did check this service and found it to be blurry. We have opened a Discrepancy Ticket and this issue was escalated to our Baseband Engineers. Our engineers did find the problem and have corrected it. We will keep the Discrepancy Ticket opened to ensure the problem has been resolved.

We appreciate the time DISH Network customers take to email their audio/video quality concerns. Thank you for your patience and for being a valued customer.

EchoStar Broadcasting Corporation
Quality Assurance Department
dishquality@echostar.com

more than "patient!"

I sub to portuguese and brazilian internationals but I received this on my paper statement yesterday in the mail, for whatever reason I can no longer download my statements online so I had to go back to paper, whenever I try to download the pdf version it just times out after a minute on the last 3 statements, all the previous statements before that can still be downloaded correctly though, anyway thought this page was really funny, I have never subbed to any asian international stuff so I have no idea what this is doing in there and why it is dated from over a month ago on my 7/12 statement.

check it out. Of course I have no idea what it says ( não faço idéia )

Maybe dish thinks because I am so interested in filing complaints about Free TVJ or KBSW problems that it would be advantageous for me to refer to them some asian international subs or something. That's the best I can make of it!

Attachments

• say what.JPG
    say what.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)