UL listed???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dishman Dan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
N/A
Is the UL label on electronics like the SSO receivers really that important??? :confused:

I have seen posts here and there mentioning the lack of UL approval on the SSOs is why gold sponsors here do not sell the receivers. Why is the UL blessing so important??? I am sure that the Chinese can imprint UL on devices too! :rolleyes:

If your power supply catches fire and the unit is properly UL listed you might just find yourself the owner of a free to air company.

In addition these things are not FCC tested and certified which can hold YOU liable if the receiver is pumping out garbage to the airwaves.

It would only take just one accident involving a non-certified product and the lawyers will either own my company or business insurance would sky rocket or cancel.

UL, C UL and NOM logos can be printed on anything, but if there isn't a certificate on file to back up the silk screen...... :eek:

Customs will refuse entry, confiscate, destroy and/or levy fines and penalties on products without FCC certification. It doesn't matter if they are spewing RF or not. This has been a method that several DVBS companies eliminated competitors product and fought clones.

Last edited:
Dan Dan, The satellite Dish Man! Hee hee.. I just like saying that.

Yes, it is important. UL (Underwriter's Laboratories) approval means that the equipment has passed all criteria to be deemed safe for you to use in your home. Electrical fire and shock hazards are covered. It is a really good "safety net" to have. That is their purpose. Stringent testing of the device and components to assure you and the insurance companies that it is as safe as it can be.

Underwriters Laboratories - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RADAR

In many states (Oregon included) it is the law for an electrical product to be listed by Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) - such as UL or ETL. These labs all test to the appropriate standards (usually UL standards) so if you have a product that is "Listed" with a lab you are good to go. Many believe (incorrectly) that a product must be "UL" listed.
Here is a list of NRTL's: Product Testing Laboratories
I have been involved with product design/devlopment and certifications for many years and currently am a member of the UL standards committee that wrote the UL 2208 standard.
Bob

wescopc said:
In many states (Oregon included) it is the law for an electrical product to be listed by Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) - such as UL or ETL.

You say that as if Oregon isn't really a state :p

since the UL was mentioned why not throw in the CSA for us canucks. we dont honor UL testing up here either i seem to recall. i think the issue is mainly with insurance. if you have an electrical fire caused by a product not certified, then your SOL with the insurance man. not like they could identify the UL mark or product after incineration anyways. my emp switches are not tested last time i checkt as well. has any one heard of any FTA fires recently? or not so recently ? haha.

crackt out,.

I think that my insurance man would cancel me due to "improper installation"! :eek:

One look at my "farm" with all the tie straps, hose clamps, electrical tape, duck tape and baling wire!!!... :facepalm

Then there are the NEC violations... :book:

Wire protection, improper conductor size, ground issues, etc., etc. ... :shh

While Canada does not recognise UL, they do recognize C UL among other labs.

I often use the term UL loosely with the end user. Many international factories incorrectly assert that their CE certification is accepted in the US and offer that as their product certification. It is the responsibility of the OEM or distributor to be certain that imported products have the correct certifications for their distribution markets. I know of several containers of STBs that have been held in customs for many months, in one case over a year, due to certifications. Some have been released after corrective action, returned to manufacturer or destroyed, but all involved fines and storage fees.

has any one heard of any FTA fires recently? or not so recently ? haha.

crackt out,.
I have heard from two people that their power supplies on their AZBox have caught on fire. (The external supplies) in both cases however no real damage thank god.

I believe I recall a first person testimony of the same nature. However, I think that it is important to point out that common sense is what saves your home from fire or the lack of it allows it to catch fire. You can have a UL or other laboratory approved product that will start a fire if it is not used or stored/located according to the directions and warnings from the manufacturer. Same notion for an electrical shock hazard.

Therefore, don't use an electric, calrod charcoal starter as a bed-warmer and don't use your hair-dryer in the shower. Does it make you shake your head in disbelief that such warnings on certain products actually exist? Hmmm... Someone either thought about doing so, or they actually did so! :eek:

Obviously, any product which is deemed safe by any lab, can still start a fire regardless of common sense, but you can reduce that risk when common sense is also applied to prevent or contain it.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)