Status
Please reply by conversation.

GreatFTA

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Mississippi Delta
Happy Holidays Everybody!!! :)
I set up my BUD and it is tracking. I went to G4 to The Shepherd Chapel (TP 16). Got a excellent picture.
Then I hook up my Ultra, letting the RG-6 cable from the DMX 741 LNBF go to the INPUT of the Ultra and a short cable from the LOOP to the C Band INPUT of my 4DTV 922.
After scanning the Ultra, I get all the C and Ku channels and got excellent picture quality on each.
On my TV, the DishNet is hooked up to AV2 input (comes in good), got the 4DTV on AV1 (ok there), and the Ultra to the HDMI 1 input (ok here too).
The problem I'm having is that when I switch the TV to watch The Shepherd Chapel, I get no picture, except the channel and satellite indicator of the satellite. Just a black screen and can see all menus from the 922 when bringing them up.
Is there something I overlooked in the set up process of the Ultra or 922? Lak mentioned about leaving the Ultra on standby. That doesn't seem to help.

The Ultra is powering the lnb and controlling the polarity so it will need to be on and the right polarity for the 4D to work.Instead of using the loop out I'd use an A/B switch and go back and forth depending on which one you want to watch.

The Ultra is powering the lnb and controlling the polarity so it will need to be on and the right polarity for the 4D to work.Instead of using the loop out I'd use an A/B switch and go back and forth depending on which one you want to watch.

I figured that was the case, Waylew. Lak suggested that setup recently and I was hoping he would clarify what settings he used on both 922 and Ultra. I may try the A/B switch, but I ain't crazy about it unless there is a switch that automatically does that. Thank you for your reply.

For a single coax set up the A/B switch is the simplest solution.If you have 2 coax runs from the dish you could separate the C and Ku.Let the 922 control the Cband,power and polarity,you'll need a voltage blocking splitter(one leg).Hook the voltage pass side to the 922 and the voltage block side to a diseqc switch.The Ultra gets the diseqc switch.Run the ku coax to another port on the diseqc switch and the Ultra will control and power the ku side.For the Ultra the 922 would control polarity for c band.

If you are using the 4DTV to move the dish and do not want to get up flipping switches
then this will work for you.

Using a HFS (power passive one port only) for both your C-& ku lines from the dish, then run the power out line to the 4d receiver and the other side (non-powered) to a DiSEqc switch.
Do this for both C & ku lines.
Then run the coaxial line out from the DiSEqC switch to the DVB FTA receiver input

My own setup goes like this.
4D receiver moves the dish
C & KU lines come into the building and go directly into a HFS (High Frequency Splitter power passive one port only ), the 'out' line with the power side from the HFS runs into the 4d receiver. The other side (non-powered) goes to a DiSEqC switch, (line 1 on my DiSEqC switch is for C-band.)

Then for KU do exactly the same and this one went to Line 2 on the DiSEqC switch.

The out line from the DiSEqC switch goes to the FTA DVB receiver.

Then use the TV remote to control which you want to watch, the 4D or the FTA DVB receiver. No more A/B switches or getting up to swap out cables when going from C to Ku. All the TV's around here have inputs for HDMI or composite cable inputs so what ever you use the TV input on the remote decides which receiver you will view.
Just remember to set up your FTA DVB receiver in the sat settings to reflect the DiSEqC switch for either DiSEqC 1 or DiseqC 2 for your C & ku lines.
In all the FTA DVB receiver I have seen those settings will be remembered by the receiver so it only needs to be set one time in the DVB receiver.
So now the 4D receiver will move the dish and you can still use it for many FTA signals out there or sub to programming then move to other sats and turn on the DVB receiver & flip the remote to the input for the DVB receiver then tune in to your FTA DVB viewing.

The only downside to this is that is becomes so seamless that you end up forgetting to set up the FTA DVB receiver's satellite settings on a new satellite to reflect the DiSEqC switch line and nothing will scan in. Once you make the choice in the satellite settings all is good again.

Now on one TV I also run a Shaw receiver on I use an A/B switch so that I can flip that switch between the big dish or the stationary one for Shaw direct.
So if you use 1 TV for an additional source of TV viewing besides the 4d and FTA DVB receiver you may need an A/B switch since most TV's do not have more then 1 coaxial inputs on them.
So the main line out from the 4d goes to the A/B switch one side and the other side whatever other you have there in your case 'Dish Net'.

Last edited:
First thing is to get 922 and AZBox to lock a Vertical TP at the Same time.....

922 connected to AZBox "loopout"
Put AZBox in standby.
Double check you have "LNBF" selected in the 922's LNB Setup menu.
Power down the 922.
Power up the AZBox, and lock a Vertical TP.
Now power up the 922, and tune in Shepards Analog or any Vertical channel - goal is to make sure the AZbox and 922 can both tune / lock a Vertical TP at the same time.

If not, go into the 922's LNB menu, and look for "Rotate 90" - and try again.

Keep in mind that when both receivers are on, you are limited to one polarity.

Thank you guys! I'll let you know how this fare out. Got lots to do today.
I get great help and advices from the members of this great forum! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts