Umpire missed the 27th out and ruined a perfect game

Here is the problem. A blown call is a blown call. The fact is they can't overturn a call just because it happened to effect a perfect game. What if a blown call effected the score of a game? What if that team needed that game to make it to the playoffs. It's a slippery slope. And I will bet anyone that if you look at no hitters you will find calls that went the pitchers way even if the call was wrong.

Don't care about the mytical doomsday scenarios this opens up, there was a inconsequential out after this, the hit would be removed from 1 player (which from what I've ready happens from time to time as scorecards are fixed) and the game should be correctly recognized as a perfect one.

Errors happen, they are lucky that it is so clear and easy to be able to fix it in this case. They will looks worse for not taking the opportunity to correct it. I'd agree that it'd be dumb to try and overturn if it happened in the 3rd inning, but the final out in a perfect game, no so much.

Like I said, agree to disagree, there's nothing that is going to change my mind here. Baseball has little/no integrity to save in my mind. This guy was robbed. It's nice that everyone is being classy about it, but doesn't make it OK.

Bud Selig and 'upholding the integrity of the game' in one sentence, I never thought I'd see the day.
Yep, that sentence does have a funny ring to it. In all fairness to Mr. Selig, he will be criticized no matter what he decided in this matter. Conversely, he is in a sitution where he cannot be totally wrong so, like the old saying goes, "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while."

Speaking of a Perfect Game...

...are there various degrees of a perfect game? For example, I noticed Galarraga had only three (3) strikeouts in his perfect game attempt whereas others have struckout well over ten (10) batters; additionally, wouldn't a "perfect game" be considered more perfect if it were thrown against a contending team (e.g., Yankees, Tampa) instead of the Indians? He pitched a great game, but he also had a lot of help from his fielders. So again my question is, "Are there various degrees of a perfect game?" Offhand, anything short of no-hits, no-runs, no-walks, no-errors, and twenty-seven strikeouts is not a perfect game since someone can do it better - it's a no-hitter. Assuming that perfect means "excellent or complete beyond practical or theoretical improvement" then pitching a perfect game must consist of striking-out 27 consecutive hitters. Also, wouldn't a pitcher throwing a 1-hit shutout and striking out 20+ batters be closer to perfection than Galerraga's "perfect game"?

Sorry for this George Carlinesque moment... :eek:

Here is the problem. A blown call is a blown call. The fact is they can't overturn a call just because it happened to effect a perfect game. What if a blown call effected the score of a game? What if that team needed that game to make it to the playoffs. It's a slippery slope. And I will bet anyone that if you look at no hitters you will find calls that went the pitchers way even if the call was wrong.
What if the blown call occurred in the 1st inning and he ended up retiring every single batter after and before? Same scenario, but would we still be talking about it?

If they start using replay for more than just home runs, when the Red Sox and Skankees play they better schedule a 5 hour window for the game

Why is it they need 4 hours to play a 9 inning game and yet (as example) the Twins played the Yankees 6 times
times of each game
3:11
3:01
3:21
2:39
2:41
3:00

yet when they play the Red Sox the shortest game is still over 3 hours
3:46
3:48
3:56
3:05
3:47
4:09

4 + hours ot play a 9 inning game....are you kidding me?

...are there various degrees of a perfect game? For example, I noticed Galarraga had only three (3) strikeouts in his perfect game attempt whereas others have struckout well over ten (10) batters; additionally, wouldn't a "perfect game" be considered more perfect if it were thrown against a contending team (e.g., Yankees, Tampa) instead of the Indians? He pitched a great game, but he also had a lot of help from his fielders. So again my question is, "Are there various degrees of a perfect game?" Offhand, anything short of no-hits, no-runs, no-walks, no-errors, and twenty-seven strikeouts is not a perfect game since someone can do it better - it's a no-hitter. Assuming that perfect means "excellent or complete beyond practical or theoretical improvement" then pitching a perfect game must consist of striking-out 27 consecutive hitters. Also, wouldn't a pitcher throwing a 1-hit shutout and striking out 20+ batters be closer to perfection than Galerraga's "perfect game"?

Sorry for this George Carlinesque moment... :eek:

As a Red Sox fan, I've witnessed four no-hitters- Hideo Nomo, Derek Lowe, Clay Buchholz and Jon Lester (ALL caught by Jason Varitek, BTW).

BUT all of those pale in comparison to Roger Clemens two 20 K games (1986 and 1996), and best of all, Pedro Martinez' one hit/17 K masterpiece in Yankee Stadium, Sept 1999.

The latter was the most dominating pitching performance I've ever seen!

Last edited:
If they start using replay for more than just home runs, when the Red Sox and Skankees play they better schedule a 5 hour window for the game

Why is it they need 4 hours to play a 9 inning game and yet (as example) the Twins played the Yankees 6 times
times of each game
3:11
2:39
2:41
3:00

yet when they play the Red Sox the shortest game is still over 3 hours
3:46
3:48
3:56
3:05
3:47
4:09

4 + hours ot play a 9 inning game....are you kidding me?
That's another one of my fears about the instant replay...instant added delays. How would everyone feel about implementing instant replay in conjunction with a 24-second pitch clock? First violation is a caution, 2nd violation is a warning, 3rd and consecutive violations are a ball to the hitter and balk (aka time violation) if runners are on base.

Thoughts???

Don't care about the mytical doomsday scenarios this opens up, there was a inconsequential out after this, the hit would be removed from 1 player (which from what I've ready happens from time to time as scorecards are fixed) and the game should be correctly recognized as a perfect one.

Errors happen, they are lucky that it is so clear and easy to be able to fix it in this case. They will looks worse for not taking the opportunity to correct it. I'd agree that it'd be dumb to try and overturn if it happened in the 3rd inning, but the final out in a perfect game, no so much.

Like I said, agree to disagree, there's nothing that is going to change my mind here. Baseball has little/no integrity to save in my mind. This guy was robbed. It's nice that everyone is being classy about it, but doesn't make it OK.

I am torn in this. I would HIGHLY favor overturning it and making it a perfect game. BUT, the human element is what makes the game the best sport of all....to me.

And this statement by Riff:

....the rules are the rules and the Commissioner should not bend, fold, spindle or mutilate the rules as a measure of equity justice.

The commissioners office has done that for the owners since the Boob took over. There has been NOTHING done 'for the integrity of the game' since Fay Vincent. So please do not put the words "justice" or "intregrity" in the same sentence with the name Bud Selig or 'the baseball commissioner'....they DO NOT belong.:rant:

...then there is the small amount of douche bag Tiger fans:

Joyce showed up to work Thursday looking as if he hadn't slept. He appreciated the outpouring of support from umpires, family and friends but lamented strangers lashing out at his wife and children.

"I wish my family was out of this," Joyce said, holding back tears as he spoke nearly two hours before the Indians-Tigers series finale. "I wish they would direct it all to me. It's a big problem. My wife is a rock. My kids are very strong. They don't deserve this."

Jim Joyce returns to work as MLB decides whether to review blown call that cost Armando Galarraga of Detroit Tigers perfect game - ESPN

what kid of moronic, douchy, crap stain would do the above? I mean REALLY?!:confused::mad:

...all of those pale in comparison to Roger Clemens two 20 K games (1986 and 1996),.

Clemen's first 20K game pales in comparison to his second, because he didn't really strike out 20 batters the first time. The home plate umpire was calling late inning pitches a foot outside as strikes.

An interesting aside about those games. Each had twenty strikeouts and zero walks.
...and best of all, Pedro Martinez' one hit/17 K masterpiece in Yankee Stadium, Sept 1999.

The latter was the most dominating pitching performance I've ever seen!
I think every time I saw Bob Gibson pitch in 1968, they were candidates for the most domineering game I ever saw pitched. One inning, he opened by giving up an "excuse me" triple, but he fanned the next two batters on six pitches, and got the third guy to harmlessly pop up on I think an 0-1 count. Everybody watching that game just knew the runner on third wasn't going to score.

Last edited:
The commissioners office has done that for the owners since the Boob took over. There has been NOTHING done 'for the integrity of the game' since Fay Vincent. So please do not put the words "justice" or "intregrity" in the same sentence with the name Bud Selig or 'the baseball commissioner'....they DO NOT belong.:rant:
My apology...you're correct, Bud Selig cannot be compared to Fay Vincent and the using the words "justice" or "integrity" in the same sentence as "Selig" should be a crime. :hatsoff:

There were a lot of them in Joyce's face after the game. Have to give Joyce a lot of credit for standing there and taking it like a man. He let every Tiger who wanted to have their say take their turn, without backing away. And he didn't do it Joe West-style, he let them all say thier piece.

And this was BEFORE Joyce saw the replay and found out he was wrong. Joyce earned a lot of respect with the way he handled that.

Sandra
I agree !

My apology...you're correct, Bud Selig cannot be compared to Fay Vincent and the using the words "justice" or "integrity" in the same sentence as "Selig" should be a crime. :hatsoff:

I don't/didn't like ANY of them.

Who was it that was too much of a coward to address the Pete Rose issue
Oh ya, BOTH of them, thier both useless as far as I'm concerned.

Clemen's first 20K game pales in comparison to his second, because he didn't really strike out 20 batters the first time. The home plate umpire was calling late inning pitches a foot outside as strikes.

An interesting aside about those games. Each had twenty strikeouts and zero walks.
I think every time I saw Bob Gibson pitch in 1968, they were candidates for the most domineering game I ever saw pitched. One inning, he opened by giving up an "excuse me" triple, but he fanned the next two batters on six pitches, and got the third guy to harmlessly pop up on I think an 0-1 count. Everybody watching that game just knew the runner on third wasn't going to score.

1968?

DinosaursRef.gif

What I want to know is why Joyce did not make the call in the pitchers favor in the first place??

On a close call like that, given the situation(or something even close to that), the call goes to the defense (almost) every time. Even the runner thought he would be called out, and was surprised.

Was Joyce just too freaked out and under pressure, thinking about the perfect game too much, and just made the wrong call in the heat of the moment?

have not read the entire thread, but, 17k in a world series game!! pertty dan good!!

What I want to know is why Joyce did not make the call in the pitchers favor in the first place??

On a close call like that, given the situation(or something even close to that), the call goes to the defense (almost) every time. Even the runner thought he would be called out, and was surprised.

Was Joyce just too freaked out and under pressure, thinking about the perfect game too much, and just made the wrong call in the heat of the moment?

and then there is maude

Attachments

• 1985 World Series - The Call.jpg
    1985 World Series - The Call.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 74

The only explanation I have is that Joyce unfortunately anticipated the outcome of the play.

Sometimes as a game official you incorrectly anticipate the next play or the results of a play as it develops. That final play was not routine, it had several points of failure. Cabrera had to go far to his right to get the ball, make a nice throw to lead Galarraga to the bag, who had to catch the ball and touch the bag. Joyce may just have simply screwed up by thinking there was no way that play could be made...

I thought about that too and I think you may have hit it right on the head, with the pressure on the players, the Umps also are under pressure.

He may have been thinking about it to much. :(

That said, the guy did the Stand Up thing and admitted it and didn't act arrogant like many others would have.

The Tigers as well were very professional after the fact, I thought Leyland handled it very well and for Gallaraga to just Smile after the call, was amazing ... :)

I doubt that I would have been that easy going had it happened to me.

Most of the Tigers were upset when the call went the other way, but the Ump took the complaints in stride and the Players pretty much made amends with Joyce the next day :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts