Unable to get 121 using SuperDish..help

manojp4

Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
Hi folks, this forum seems to be a great resource to get questions answered, so I am posting here in the hope that someone can help me.

I have a superdish and used to get the 119 and 121 satellite signals (but no 110 which I don't really need) at my old place. Now that I moved I find that I am getting only 110 and 119 at my new place (same zip code 98006, just 1 mile from my old place). I have the dish mounted on a small tripod-like thing inside my apartment facing a large window that faces south. My condo association prohibits placing the dish anywhere outside, including the outside walls of the unit, and my patio faces the north so I don't get a signal there. I have tried talking to the condo association multiple times to permit me to install the dish out on the lawn in front of the house (that faces the south) but to no avail. So the only choice left for me was to have the dish inside my home near a window.

I have the elevation and skew for the dish set to the values shown in the point dish screen in the receiver. However, no matter how much I try, I am not able to get the 121 satellite (I can get both 110 and 119 though, but the international programming I want is on 121). The 121 point dish screen shows a signal strength of around 70 but in red with "Wrong Sat - EchoStar 119 West)". I tried various transponder settings like 11, 15 and 21 but it still says wrong satellite. At first I thought it must be a problem with the FSS LNB and so had it replaced with another working LNB, but still have the same issue. I have the following questions:

1) If the dish is set up so that I get both 110 and 119 with good signal strength ( > 75), is it correct to assume that I should be also getting 121 without repointing the dish ?

2) For the "Wrong Sat" message, does it really mean that the FSS LNB is working but picking up the wrong sat ? If so, could it be fixed by making small adjustments to the azimuth or elevation of the dish ? I have tried that but didn't succeed.

3) I have checked all the cables, the DP34 switch connections etc and they seem to be fine. Also, my window is completely open so there is no chance of attenuation through the window glass or something. Since I am getting both 110 and 119 with good strength, what else could be the technical reason for not getting 121 ? There are some tree branches in the distance but I can't tell if they are in the line of sight. Could it be simply that since FSS is lower power signal it is getting attenuated by those tree branches ?

4) Lastly, what are my legal options to convince the condo association that I am not able to get a signal inside the unit, and so need to place the dish outside ? I have a technician come by who told me that if I place the dish outside I will definitely get the 121.

121 is a lower powered satellite, hence the larger dish

unfortunatelly, unless you have a balcony/patio that is your exclusive area, OTARD (FCC document) can't protect if the condo ass'n says no

you have the dish pointed incorectly. You are probably just a hair to far to the east. Make sure that you mast is plumb if it's not you will have a bugger of a time peaking that dish.

Also if it is a leaded window it may block the signal. Your 119 should have a signal above 100 on transponde 11. If it is only 75 your window may be the problem.

You must do a "check switch" and have it succeed before you can aim. It not only checks the switch but also reconfigures things. If the 121 selection is showing "Wrong Sat" it usually means the cables are not attached properly to the switch (or perhaps the switch is bad). I have a DP34 and the 121 signal is on the third port (the one marked for "DiSH 300").

Cables and your connectors must be top quality and done right. These LNBFs send horizontal and vertical along the same single cable and that cable should be 2.3 GHz qualified (950 MHz to 1850 MHz for a DP34 switch or 950 MHz to 2300 MHz for a DPP44).

Finally you said you replaced the FSS with another one. Problem is, a SuperDiSH 121 has an integrated FSS and DBS assembly--is this what you replaced?

Yes, I replaced the integrated FSS and DBS assembly. I also checked all the cables and they are marked RG6 3000 Mhz. Now my check switch shows OK for 110 and 119 but a N.C for 121.

You did not list your receiver, but since you picked up Sat 121 at your old place, it can pick up FSS transponders. Therefore, it shouldn't matter which DPP-44 Port each of the LNBF and/or Satellite signals are connected too (unless you have other legacy receivers). Normally 119, 110, 121; but any order should work. Port 1 is normally a pass through when first setting it up, but I would use a barrel connector and by-pass the switch to set up when having problems.

The error message you received is normal when it doesn't know where to find the satellite you selected in the point dish screen. However, I believe the DPP-44 should show that there is 3 LNBF's connected, even if it does not list a satellite. I think it would show "Feed" if it detected the FSS LNBF without a signal.

Additional Possibilities:

The DPP-44 (and DP34) require longer than normal center conductors.
Look at the 3 cables going into the DPP-44 switch, is the center conductor the same length on all three? If the one from the FSS LNBF is shorter, then replace the connector to make it longer, or first, try swapping the 110 cable with the 121 cable at the LNBF, then run a check switch to see if it now detects the FSS LNBF.

As "Dave nye" said, you have the dish pointed incorrectly. I believe this to be the issue at your previous place and current place. With the SuperDish 121, there is a very fine range of movement, both azimuth and elevation, for you to pick up all three satellites. It is real easy to pick up either 110 and 119, or 119 and 121. Then you need to swing it very very slightly, and/or adjust the elevation very slightly. Of course, you need to get the receiver to recognize all LNBF's.
(NOTE: On one SuperDish I installed, I had a mark on the mast, and if I swung it more than 1/8" on the mast, I lost the signals.)

Once you have your mast plumb (all sides) and the skew set. I recommend you attempt to get Satellite 110 and peak it. If you can not get the receiver to detect the DPP-44 with 3 LNBF's, then I recommend you by-pass the switch (use a barrel connector) and connect the 110 directly to the receiver to peak. Then connect the 121 LNBF directly to the receiver and look for its signal. Peak 121, and then re-check 110. (Note: By-passing the Switch using a barrel connector will also temporarily eliminate any issue with a short cable.)

Possibly the top half of the window (top glass, and bottom glass when raised) is blocking the signal from coming in, hitting the dish, and reflecting back to the LNBF. Maybe lowering the dish would help. But since you are a good distance north, maybe those trees in the distance could be the issue.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I thought that may be the case. Also just reading the DPP-44 booklet, I noticed it refers to 3 types of LNBF's it will work with, DishPro, DishPro Plus, and SuperDish LNBF's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts