Unexpected Channel Change

appleblossom

Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
St. Louis
We switched to DISH from DIRECT several months ago. We got a 612 receiver and the 1000.2 dish. Don't know the original software. Called Dish about the following problem and they sent out a replacement receiver which behaved exactly the same. Called several times more and they sent a tech. who looked things over and installed a 722. By now the software is L656 and the behavior is still the same. It is in single mode.

Our problem is: We have a few programs on timers but none overlap in time. They are all showing they will record on tuner 2. We like to leave tuner 1 on a favorite channel where it stays most of the time.

When we watch a recorded program and during that time a timer starts a recording on another channel using tuner 2 we come back from the recorded program to find that tuner 1 has been changed to the channel that was being recorded on tuner 2.

Yes, it is simple to just change it back, BUT, if we find that the favorite channel has something we would like to record it will not get it all because the tuner was not on that channel at the start of the program....:rant:

This behavior isn't consistent. Once in awhile it doesn't happen.

If it would just leave tuner 1 alone (it isnt being used for anything else anyway) we would be much happier with DISH.

I've searched the forums for someone else complaining about this but find nothing.

Does anyone know what the problem is or if it can be corrected?

We chose single mode because we want all three tvs to be slaved together. That's why we started with the 612.
Maybe I don't understand the tv1-tv2 thing.

Last edited:
Our problem is: We have a few programs on timers but none overlap in time. They are all showing they will record on tuner 2. We like to leave tuner 1 on a favorite channel where it stays most of the time.

When we watch a recorded program and during that time a timer starts a recording on another channel using tuner 2 we come back from the recorded program to find that tuner 1 has been changed to the channel that was being recorded on tuner 2.

Yes, it is simple to just change it back, BUT, if we find that the favorite channel has something we would like to record it will not get it all because the tuner was not on that channel at the start of the program....:rant:

It wouldn't make any difference if it stayed on a favorite channel. There is NO buffering of the current channel when you are watching a recording. The buffer doesn't start until you start watching "live" so you still would miss the start of the program.

Answering n0qcu...
Oh. Well, I guess that is something I'm remembering from the DIRECT receiver. It would buffer as long as the tuner was on the channel.
Thanks for the info.
I sure wish the DISH people could have told me that.

Have you taken the 1 min early, 3 min late on your recordings into consideration? Would this cause (only 4 minutes) an overlap.

No it would not...at least not on my 722 and K. It takes a 3 min early to make them switch. And nOqcu is correct regarding the buffer. AND, come here first for technical questions before you call tech support.

While there are two tuners, the user cannot manipulate which tuner is being used. TV1 can use tuner 1 or tuner 2. Make sense?

Maybe I ASSUME too much. On the daily schedule, what does the number overlaping the little clock in the leftmost column mean?
That number indicates which TV the recording is set to.

If you look at the program banner, menus and the remote you'll see the TV1 and TV2 logos and their color:

Green = TV1
Blue = TV2

1 = TV1
2 = TV2

However, in single mode, it doesn't indicate TV1 or 2, it indicates the tuner #.

Okay. That's why I was assuming which tuner would be used for recording leaving the other for viewing.

Still wonder why the 722k would change tuner 1 to the same channel as a recording while watching a recorded program???
Would think the receiver is wasting it's time.

Thought you should be able to record two live programs(or more if OTA) while watching a

previously recorded program, so it would seem the answer is to record your

favorite channel while you are viewing an already recorded program.

I have not had this issue with my 625 SDDVR.:confused:

Good thought.... we did that for a while but then we had to keep up with clean up.
May do that again since there seems to be no other way.

Still wonder why the 722k would change tuner 1 to the same channel as a recording while watching a recorded program???
Would think the receiver is wasting it's time.

It must be how all the DVR software is coded. Even my 211 with EHD will do that. I can be watching OTA switch to a recorded program then when I come back to live tv I will be on a Sat tuner if a recording has started on a Sat channel.

It's a little bit annoying if you don't want to see pieces of what your recording.

It must be how all the DVR software is coded. Even my 211 with EHD will do that. I can be watching OTA switch to a recorded program then when I come back to live tv I will be on a Sat tuner if a recording has started on a Sat channel.

It's a little bit annoying if you don't want to see pieces of what your recording.

Um, maybe because 211 has only 1 sat tuner?:rolleyes:

Same deal with 510/508 PVRs.

All models behave like this. The limitation is despite having up to 4 tuners, only up to 2 can be used at a time, and recordings always take over at least one.

Models with 1 sat. tuner are limited to use of only 1 tuner at a time, even with an additional OTA tuner.

I think I remember that my old PVR721 did NOT do this. It would let us watch a recorded program and leave the viewing tuner where it was. We liked that much better.
My wife hates these new receivers but loves the HD. She also hates that it will buffer only one hour. We should have the option to buffer two if we want it. What would be so hard about that?

Last edited:
I think I remember that my old PVR721 did NOT do this. It would let us watch a recorded program and leave the viewing tuner where it was. We liked that much better.
My wife hates these new receivers but loves the HD. She also hates that it will buffer only one hour. We should have the option to buffer two if we want it. What would be so hard about that?

Correct on the 721 as it had two sat. tuners. Current Solo DVRs with two sat. tuners are 612 and 512.

You can always hit the rec. button even backing up an hour and capturing the buffered part!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts