Universal HD should be in a sports package

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

chiefsman

Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
I don't understand why Dish has Universal HD in the movie pack for extra $10. A lot of their programming especially on weekends is sports. I want to watch the upcoming cycling world championships and realizing that I need to order a movie pack to get the channel that is showing it.

I hope someone from Dish is reading this and realizes they should be putting this channel in the top 250 or sports pack. When Universal Sports was shut down, some of their programming shifted over to Universal HD.

Anyone else notice this?

We can submit a programming request form for you today - to add the channel to other package options. This lets our programming department know what channels subscribers would like to have added to our lineup. Please keep in mind that channels are placed in their package based on contractual agreements.

I don't understand why Dish has Universal HD in the movie pack for extra $10

You must be relatively new to Dish. It's a legacy thing. Once upon a time, the "movie pack" was the Platinum HD pack (Top 250 w/HD was Gold HD, Top 200 w/HD was Silver HD, etc.) It consisted of channels that had no non-HD counterpart, plus a few inexplicable upconverted (at the time) channels that they apparently had no idea how else to sell (World Fishing Network and Logo, I believe they were.) The Platinum HD pack became Blockbuster@Home, and eventually whatever exactly they call it today. In the process, I believe a few channels got moved down to Top 250 or Top 200 (e.g. AXS, né HDNet), but others did not. (A side effect of this is that some channels are placed in ridiculous spots in the numbering scheme.)

Reactions: Yespage
I don't understand why Dish has Universal HD in the movie pack for extra $10. A lot of their programming especially on weekends is sports. I want to watch the upcoming cycling world championships and realizing that I need to order a movie pack to get the channel that is showing it.

I hope someone from Dish is reading this and realizes they should be putting this channel in the top 250 or sports pack. When Universal Sports was shut down, some of their programming shifted over to Universal HD.

Anyone else notice this?

Not that I care all that much but your premise is incorrect. By far most of the time programming is non sports. Five out of seven days has very limited sports. Even weekends is mostly but not all sports. On top of that I'm not seeing much current sports, I see reruns alot. On the other hand it has very limited movies also but the Movie Pack (Platinum-Blockbuster) -has never been just movie channels.

Reactions: mdavej
Not that I care all that much but your premise is incorrect. By far most of the time programming is non sports. Five out of seven days has very limited sports. Even weekends is mostly but not all sports. On top of that I'm not seeing much current sports, I see reruns alot. On the other hand it has very limited movies also but the Movie Pack (Platinum-Blockbuster) -has never been just movie channels.
Agreed!

First off, I'm not new to Dish. I've been with them since 2004. I doubt any of the other channels in that package have sporting events. My whole point was Universal HD has sports programming exclusive to them. They show a lot of cycling, including 3 weeks of daily (delayed) coverage of The Vuelta (of the cycling's 3 grand tours). This use to be shown on Universal Sports but once they got shut down NBC shifted some of their sports programming to this channel. It varies throughout the year as far as the amount of sports shown.

I don't understand why Dish has Universal HD in the movie pack for extra $10.
If you really need it that bad, it doesn't necessarily cost $10; many of us have been getting it for $5, for more than (1) 6-month increment. (there are lots of posts on this) Myself, I've been getting it repeatedly for $5 for the past 3+ years; each time it runs out, I just ask them to put it back on the 1/2 price promo, never a problem doing this.

Reactions: Yespage
If you really need it that bad, it doesn't necessarily cost $10; many of us have been getting it for $5 for more than (1) 6-month increment. (there are lots of posts on this) Myself, I've been getting it repeatedly for $5 for the past 3+ years; each time it runs out, I just ask them to put it back on the 1/2 price promo, never a problem doing this.
Just to add to this, if the sports you watch are only shown for part of the year, you could try getting Dish Movie Pack for free for three months at a time.

I believe Universal HD is also in the National Action Pack along with ESPN, ESPN 2, Fox Sports 1, Velocity, AXS.TV, Fuse, TV Games Network, and TVG2. Of course, there may be restrictions on which base packages can add this add-on package.

Reactions: pattykay
I believe Universal HD is also in the National Action Pack along with ESPN, ESPN 2, Fox Sports 1, Velocity, AXS.TV, Fuse, TV Games Network, and TVG2. Of course, there may be restrictions on which base packages can add this add-on package.
Top 200 or less.
Not Top 250.

Top 200 or less.
Not Top 250.

Aren't all the rest in the Top 250? So, it would make sense to get the Movie Pack at the same monthly price and get HDNet Movies, Crime & Investigation HD, Starz Kids & Family HD, IndiePlex HD, RetroPlex HD, Epix HD, Epix 2 HD, Epix 3 HD, MGM HD, Sony Movie Channel HD, and Pixl HD along with Universal HD. Of course with the 250, one already gets Hallmark Movie Channel HD, Encore Suspense, MoviePlex, and FXM.

Maybe Dish could try to add it to the Outdoor Package for this sub...

I want to watch the IAAF Track Relays tonight but I can't find this channel anymore. What channel is it? When I try to go to 247 my Hopper takes me to 246 (Velocity) and my guide has 246 and 248 but skips 247.

I want to watch the IAAF Track Relays tonight but I can't find this channel anymore. What channel is it? When I try to go to 247 my Hopper takes me to 246 (Velocity) and my guide has 246 and 248 but skips 247.
I'm getting channel 247 just fine. Perhaps you don't have a subscription that has that channel. Are you looking at a Favorites guide?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts