Status
Please reply by conversation.

magnigyro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Can I get the NASA channel on 119W with a universal lnb?:confused:

I'm trying without favorable results...:(

According to Lyngsat, Anik F3 & EchoStar 7 & DirecTV 7S at 119.0°W - LyngSat - the transponder freq is 12370 on the 119 bird.

So, if you subtract the local oscillator frequency of several common LNBs, here are the results.

DBS:
12370 R (tp 11) - 11250 LO = 1120

Standard:
12370 R (tp 11) - 10750 LO = 1620

Universal: (with 22khz on)
12370 R
(tp 11) - 10600 LO =

Considering how strong the signal is, a blind scan receiver (or one carefully tuned to the right frequency), should see the signal.

Now, the question is, does the LNB put out a signal that high (frequency), and does it receive a signal that high (frequency), or does internal filtering affect you?
I'd guess that's not a major problem...(?)

Lastly, the fact that you are receiving a circular signal on a linear LNB, causes a bunch of additional loss.

So, what's the answer?
Hard to say. Give it a try.
Why are you trying to do the wrong thing, anyway?
DBS LNBs are dime a dozen, and so are the 18" dishes they go on. :D

The problem is a H & V LNB cannot discriminate between L & R polarizations. That is going to kill you more than the loss. 12355L and 12384L on the same bird will overlap 12370R given the SRs of 20000. Tune to 12370 and you'll pick up all at the same time = trash.

Why are you trying to do the wrong thing, anyway?
DBS LNBs are dime a dozen, and so are the 18" dishes they go on. :D

Thanks Anole, if I achieve "the wrong thing" will be open good prospects for 32" dishes with linear lnb already installed... without changuing lnbs or puting neck flange...:p

two places:

Yea, I thought that might be where you were headed. :)

I was remembering that DishNetwork had NASA on some other bird, besides 119°.
I did locate it on the 77° satellite, but don't know what modulation mode they use.
Something else for you to check into. ;) - Transponder 12, but I did not find the frequency.

Even if this fails, and I'm sure Pendragon has a good point, there may be something else you can come up with to solve the problem.
Maybe a remote LNB mod? :)

I know you **might** be able to get it on a Universal but as noted above it will be really low quality

I know on my Pansat when I scan a KU sat if a DBS is nearby (ie: 77 when I scan 79) it will pick up the 1st 4 or 6 TP's on a scan and will log the channels but at a very low quality (around threshold if I remember right)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)