Unusual Conditions on NOAA WX Frequencies

spongella

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2012
Central NJ
Most times only about 5 NOAA stations are received at this location, but this morning a total of 7 were received. Two of stations that were fading in and out were NOAA stations on 162.500 and 162.525. Sat on these a while to try and ID them, but this is what I got:

162.500 - fading in an out, broadcasting wx conditions for Cumberland and Salem counties in NJ and some Delaware counties. ID'd as WXK97 from Sudlersvile, MD.

162.525 - even weaker than the above station, fading in and out, with weather for Bradford County (?) and areas of Southern VA, Chesapeake Bay, Melva. Think this might be WXM95 from Towanda, PA. Could not get a voice ID, due to QSB.

These stations don't ID very often.

Attachments

• NOAA051015.jpg
    NOAA051015.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Although not as prominently/often as AM radio this band does get "Skip" from time to time. Fog (water vapor and warmer weather/time of year bring it on. It fades because the signal is temporarily hitting of the troposphere and coming back somewhat randomly somewhere else on earth. In Ct in the past before all the new lights being used now and other things I routinely heard radio stations from most all the Caribbean. (Some broadcast on channels between ours) I also routinely got a Virginia and Washington DC TV station.
In Tampa I have heard the Houston Texas NOAA. When a signal travels over water it travels further also.

Texas is as far as I have gotten on VHF. It was the same lasted about 30 mins and gone like a switch of turned off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts