Unusual hardware, but a good find??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kestep

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
Zebulon, NC
I do IT support for a number of businesses in my area including an auto dealership.

The dealership had a satellite system set up to communicate with corporate primarily for training. The system is no longer being used and they have been told by corporate to dumpster the equipment. I told them that I'd be happy to take it down for them and they told me if I could use any of it, it was mine.

I'm planning on picking up the equipment and taking down the dish this coming week.

The equipment includes:

1) A dish (either 1.8M or 2.4M) with one of the mounts that uses cinder blocks to hold it in place. From the ground, I'd guess it is 2.4M.

2) An RFU/ODU; A transceiver, since this was a two way application.

3) A Pulsat Server (PES9000); a massive box larger than many computer servers.

4) A Digital Interface Unit (PES5000a/b); the "b" part looks like a regular home satellite receiver; the "a" part looks more like a piece of computer network gear.

5) Cisco 1900; Standard managed network switch

6) Miscellaneous Keypads; Miscellaneous Controller

From what I can Google, the PES is a "Personal Earth Station", a Hughes VSAT system that depending on configuration, can handle two-way data, voice, and/or video applications. The PES5000 has a number of references and some PDFs. The PES9000 doesn't provide many hits, and of those not much was useful.

Of the whole package, the dish is the primary point of interest for me, but I'm curious if anyone has seen one of these systems before. If so, is there anything interesting in the remaining hardware that would have FTA potential?

a 8 foot dish with non penetrating roof mount? DAMN thats a keeper :)

assuming you can bypass the transmitter and just use it as a receive only setup. I havent heard of the rest so I dont know how (or if ) that would work

pictures would be cool to see ;)

I do IT support for a number of businesses in my area including an auto dealership.

The dealership had a satellite system set up to communicate with corporate primarily for training. The system is no longer being used and they have been told by corporate to dumpster the equipment. I told them that I'd be happy to take it down for them and they told me if I could use any of it, it was mine.

I'm planning on picking up the equipment and taking down the dish this coming week.

The equipment includes:

1) A dish (either 1.8M or 2.4M) with one of the mounts that uses cinder blocks to hold it in place. From the ground, I'd guess it is 2.4M.

2) An RFU/ODU; A transceiver, since this was a two way application.

3) A Pulsat Server (PES9000); a massive box larger than many computer servers.

4) A Digital Interface Unit (PES5000a/b); the "b" part looks like a regular home satellite receiver; the "a" part looks more like a piece of computer network gear.

5) Cisco 1900; Standard managed network switch

6) Miscellaneous Keypads; Miscellaneous Controller

From what I can Google, the PES is a "Personal Earth Station", a Hughes VSAT system that depending on configuration, can handle two-way data, voice, and/or video applications. The PES5000 has a number of references and some PDFs. The PES9000 doesn't provide many hits, and of those not much was useful.

Of the whole package, the dish is the primary point of interest for me, but I'm curious if anyone has seen one of these systems before. If so, is there anything interesting in the remaining hardware that would have FTA potential?
I'd say 1 and 2 are definitely a keeper.
Me personally, 1-5 would be coming home with me, along with relevant parts from 6

I love cool expensive parts to tinker with.

More than training

I was used for more than training. It should have a RX/TX LNBF on it. It relayed data back to auto corp as well for sales & inventory.

Your find is along the lines of something I've been noticing around here: there are many empty car dealerships and gas stations in the area. Seems like every one of them has a DirecWay dish. I've been thinking of cold calling a few property managers to see what they intend to do with the dishes.

The server equipment is a HNL ('hole 'nother level)! :D

Good luck! Like Iceberg said, photos would be very much appreciated.

a 8 foot dish with non penetrating roof mount? DAMN thats a keeper :)

assuming you can bypass the transmitter and just use it as a receive only setup. I havent heard of the rest so I dont know how (or if ) that would work

I will definitely provide some pics once I get a hold of it in a few days! :)

I'd say 1 and 2 are definitely a keeper.
Me personally, 1-5 would be coming home with me, along with relevant parts from 6

I love cool expensive parts to tinker with.

I can't imagine what this thing would cost when originally installed!

I was used for more than training. It should have a RX/TX LNBF on it. It relayed data back to auto corp as well for sales & inventory.

It does indeed have the RX/TX LNBF installed.

Once I have pulled the equipment, I can provide more info about possible sources, but I want to get my hands on it first. Let's just say that there should be a lot of these becoming available.

This six foot dish is what seems most common on car dealers, etc.

We have a number of members who've found good uses for them. - :up

Anole, the dish and mount do look like the picture you linked, but the LNBF looks different.

Last edited:
Just the NP Mount for a six foot solid dish costs around $1250 new.

But, I have missed more than a few that have gone to the scrap yard.

The dealership had a satellite system set up to communicate with corporate primarily for training.
Which corporate entity were they affiliated with, if you don't mind mentioning? Might be worth a visit to my local dealership. :)

Which corporate entity were they affiliated with, if you don't mind mentioning? Might be worth a visit to my local dealership. :)

Since I haven't actually made off with the goods yet, I've been hesitant to spill the beans.

We are talking about General Motors, apparently enterprise-wide. This was connected with their Project Genesis system, part of which was used for training. The word is, as of September 15, they were told to :eek: DUMPSTER :eek: the equipment.

If you make the visit, you didn't hear it from me :rolleyes:

Here is a preview. It should be coming down before the week is out.

dish-1-8.jpg

echo here:

That is a 180cm (6 foot) Prodelin complete with non-penetrating roof mount. GREAT find!
I heartily agree! - :)

I've seen pictures of two variations in the field.
Both use the same dish, and LNB/transmitter (coffee can). Yours looks same to me.
BUT, the lower LNB support arm on earlier models is more robust as Linuxmans pix.
The more recent dishes seem to have a lighter lower support, aided by two side struts (as shown in your picture).
As they're both certified for transmitting, you know they're very stable - :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)