Unusual RCA TV HD Connection (RS-232)

vegassatellite

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I am trying to get more information on a connection that is available on what seems to be a first generation RCA HDTV. The TV is a rear-projection 4:3 HDTV. The connection in question looks like an RS-232 COM port. It actually has a label next to it that says "NOT A COMPUTER INPUT". The customer's TV also has component but it wasn't HD (1080i). I am trying to find some adapter that would connect to a component or HDMI or even a DVI cable. Is there one on the market? If there is, could you post a link?

Thanks in advance.

Is it a male of female? 9-pin or 15?
RS-232 can't handle video bandwidth, even SD.

Diogen.

On alot of TVs, this is a "technician port", sometimes used for firmware upgrades, sometimes used for controls, it can vary... What model TV is the one in question?

-Doug

I didn't get the model number. It was marked for "High Resolution Input". Looks to be a VGA connection, but would like to be sure.

Original HD sets by RCA had this connection. It is a RGBHV connection for hd set top boxes i.e the RCA HD directv receiver. Should be a 15 pin VGA connector.

Original HD sets by RCA had this connection. It is a RGBHV connection for hd set top boxes i.e the RCA HD directv receiver. Should be a 15 pin VGA connector.

Thanks, do you know of an adapter that would allow an HDMI or Component wire to connect to this port? I'm concerned that HDCP might prevent me from doing that though.

Thanks, do you know of an adapter that would allow an HDMI or Component wire to connect to this port? I'm concerned that HDCP might prevent me from doing that though.
If it's VGA - it's analog. No way to connect to HDMI (digital).
Something like this will do VGA->Component.
Only for $3.55 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 12FT VGA to 3 RCA component video cable (HD15 - 3-RCA) | VGA to 3 RCA component cable

"NOT A COMPUTER INPUT" label most probably doesn't actually mean you can't do that. It just means the manufacturer won't asist you in
making it work and will wave warranty if something goes wrong. First Toshiba HD TVs had the same.

Strictly speaking, VGA is RGB and component - YPbPr, i.e. different color spaces.
YPbPr - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Diogen.

EDIT: HDCP has nothing to do with analog (VGA, component) transmissions.

Diogen's right. It is an analog connection, but you should be able to find an adapter for VGA to Component. The only part of component thats missing is the H sync and V sync, which is contained in the Y part of component. It may work, may not. HDCP only affects DVI and HDMI. The fact that it says not for computer use just means the tv most likely wont send the correct info to the PC for resolutions, which could damage the tv.

The fact that it says not for computer use just means the tv most likely wont send the correct info to the PC for resolutions, which could damage the tv.
If you start with 640x480/8bit on the PC video card and go up from there, I don't think the TV can be damaged...
The EDID probably won't be passed, but with a recent video card "forcing" HDTV recognition works more often than not.

Diogen.

Attachments

• tl_vgacom.jpg
    tl_vgacom.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 294

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts