upconvert dvd players

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thread for Upconverting DVD Players

Here is a pretty good thread on just about every upconverting player available.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=423609&page=1&pp=30

Unfortunately, my Neo-digits did not rate very high by some of the users. However, I am still extremely happy with the quality of the player. (...and it still is one of the only players that will up-convert via the component.) It provides a great picture going through my Onkyo NR901 to my Sony A10. Also, being able to switch everything through the reciever makes it very easy for the rest of the family to switch between components using only the receiver. (..without the need of an external switcher for HDMI) I do also have the HDMI connected and I have AB'd both inputs visually. Sometimes I do prefer the component connection for being more film like on some DVDs. However, both connections look great after being calibrated using the AVIA disc.

A lot of the users out there really like the OPPO so I do feel that many of you new OPPO owners will be very happy. I am actually considering one for a theater room that I am currently adding to my home.

soncaliente said:
Here is a pretty good thread on just about every upconverting player available.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=423609&page=1&pp=30

Unfortunately, my Neo-digits did not rate very high by some of the users. However, I am still extremely happy with the quality of the player. (...and it still is one of the only players that will up-convert via the component.) It provides a great picture going through my Onkyo NR901 to my Sony A10. Also, being able to switch everything through the reciever makes it very easy for the rest of the family to switch between components using only the receiver. (..without the need of an external switcher for HDMI) I do also have the HDMI connected and I have AB'd both inputs visually. Sometimes I do prefer the component connection for being more film like on some DVDs. However, both connections look great after being calibrated using the AVIA disc.

A lot of the users out there really like the OPPO so I do feel that many of you new OPPO owners will be very happy. I am actually considering one for a theater room that I am currently adding to my home.
I wouldnt buy it at this point. In two years you will want an HDDVD player and the Oppo will be a doorstop. If anything buy a networking upconverting player, at least it will still have some value when you buy that HDDVD player for streaming HD movies.

Networked streaming upconverting DVD players?

I know of two, the Snazio and IODATA models. There may be more.

http://www.snazio.com/
http://www.iodata.com/usa/

Im not knocking Oppo at all, its just in a couple of years when HDDVD is plentiful and the price is dropping some, I dont think the videophiles are going to want upconverting players.

Last edited:
jalegria11 said:
My older model Pioneer Elite Plasma upscales my DVD's through component to 525i or 525p.

My H-20 "native" signal goes through one HDMI connector and it is upscaled to 525i, 525p, 750p, and 1125i depending on the channels.

I am still eagerly waiting for the Oppo to see how it performs!

It has been about a month since I got the "HD package", and now... when watching DVD's... I do see the difference in sharpness and color.

I see these "old movies" ("Apocalypse Now" and "Easy Rider") on HDnet and they look awesome!

So I am hoping... my current "525i/p" DVD experience will be totally enhanced with the OPPO.LOVE this brainstorming! :)

And, besides... I always have 30 days to test the OPPO!

jalegria11, did you ever get the OPPO and if so, how does it look on your Elite - I am assuming it is not an Elite flat screen but one of the rear projections like the 730HDi. I have had 2 upconverting DVD players and neither looked very good on my 730, especially compared to HD. I would love to hear what your thoughts are.

Thanks.

Gator5000e said:
jalegria11, did you ever get the OPPO and if so, how does it look on your Elite - I am assuming it is not an Elite flat screen but one of the rear projections like the 730HDi. I have had 2 upconverting DVD players and neither looked very good on my 730, especially compared to HD. I would love to hear what your thoughts are.

Thanks.

Hey Gator5000e!

This is the model I have: Pioneer Elite PRO-1000HDi

I did get the Oppo, and still... testing.
Commercial DVD's work with no problems.
But, when I play recorded DVD+R's... the video goes in slo mo, while the audio is fine. I have to press "stop/play" several times until the video catches on with the audio.

I am always switching the Oppo between 720p and 1080i (it has become a bad habit...)

For my plasma flat monitor, the Oppo seems to look better in 720p.
I see better definition and details in objects/faces and more saturated colors.
1080i ... looses detail...and colors do not look as sharp.
I don't know if this is this true only in my case.

Every now and then... I do get fooled, and think I'm watching HD...net!
Had to watch Star Wars, The Transporter, even Bug's Life! just to make sure.

I ended up getting the ($40) HDMI switcher from markertek which works great!

So, I am satisfied and happy with the Oppo after all.

Thanks for the info. You have a Plasma or Flat screen model (I can't access the link to the TV). Mine is one of the older rear projection monsters with the 3 Hitachi Red, Gree and Blue Guns, so these upconverting players don't always look all that great on my TV. I have tried a number of them.

Thanks though. Saved me from buying one of these. Guess I will wait for the Blu-Ray/HDDVD hybrid player!!

I purchased an LG LDX-514 DVD Player/Hi-Fi VCR with Upconversion last week for $58 AR from 6th Avenue electronics. The best part was the shipping cost at 6 cents.

I am supriced on how good this unit is using HDMI that I only wished I had purchased 2 units then.. LOL

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)