upconvert dvd players

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I've had my Oppo for about 5 months and second all the positive things already stated. Nice added bonus is it can be set to read all regions. Picture is probably as good as you can get not being true HD. To my eyes it is pretty close. Yesterday my kids had Harry Potter on it and I thought at first it was HBO-HD.

My older model Pioneer Elite Plasma upscales my DVD's through component to 525i or 525p.

My H-20 "native" signal goes through one HDMI connector and it is upscaled to 525i, 525p, 750p, and 1125i depending on the channels.

I am still eagerly waiting for the Oppo to see how it performs!

It has been about a month since I got the "HD package", and now... when watching DVD's... I do see the difference in sharpness and color.

I see these "old movies" ("Apocalypse Now" and "Easy Rider") on HDnet and they look awesome!

So I am hoping... my current "525i/p" DVD experience will be totally enhanced with the OPPO.

Now, about the Neodigits; I went to the website, and it also sounds great!
:( :confused:

It would have actually worked better for me just having to unplug my current Elite 45-A DVD player and add up the HVD2085 through component and optical.

http://www.neodigits.com/new/body/products/HVD2085/feature.asp

This feature GOT ME! :eek:

"High-definition output options via Component interface in 720p, 1080i and 1080p"

BUT, then... isn't DVI/HDMI better than component?

From what I read and "C&P" for info. purposes:

http://www.oppodigital.com/Getting-Most-out-of-DVD-on-HDTV-Display.html

The first criteria to look for in a suitable DVD player for an HDTV display is a direct-digital video connection of either the DVI or HDMI type (the two cable types are compatible; a DVI output on the DVD player may be connected to an HDMI input on the TV via a simple adaptor cable). With this type of connection, the data stays entirely in the digital domain, avoiding the digital-to-analog conversion required with analog output cables such as S-video or Component video. A player connected by analog cabling must convert the digital data present on the DVD into an analog TV signal, after which point the HDTV receiving the video will re-digitize the signal for its own internal processing. Performing dual conversions like this is not only unnecessarily complicated, it introduces the risk of analog signal noise or transcoding errors affecting the data. The conversions also usually involve filtering so that the signals work across the widest range of source content, some of which may be poor-quality. A direct-digital connection from DVD player to display bypasses extraneous conversion steps, delivering exactly the bits encoded on the disc without conversion noise or filtering. A pure digital video interface results in a far more compelling image that is razor sharp and wonderfully vibrant.

And I am not defending the OPPO since I am getting it in the next two days ;)
thanks to this thread, but is the above explanation true, or is it a marketing tool?

Is it better to go with the component (for the Neodigits, even though it also has an HDMI connector), or get an HDMI switcher (for the Oppo knowing its component is basically useless)?

Thanks to "soncaliente" for bringing in the Neodigits HVD2085 to compare? :up

LOVE this brainstorming! :)

And, besides... I always have 30 days to test the OPPO!

vurbano said:
I have the Avel LP2, it outputs 1080i and upscales commecial DVDs to 1080i over component without the latest firmware upgrades. Also networkable via ethernet to stream HD mpeg2 files too.

How much is this Avel LP2? Is it a high-end player?
I googled it, but did not find much info.

stumacdo said:
Just be careful with the Oppo. Depending on which display you have, macroblocking can be quite bad. I can vouch for mixing the Oppo with a Samsung HLR-5067W - the results were catastrophic. Before all the flames begin, I've already had the display ISF calibrated, so the issue isn't at the display level.

Now, I am also worried about "macroblocking" ... :(

It probably all boils down to a "trial and error" issue, and how it looks with your own eyes...

This reminds me of the OTA antenna dilemma. :) :eek: (Silver sensor, DB-2, indoor, outdoor. etc.)

All done for the BEST (or close to...) HD POSSIBLE EXPERIENCE!

For those of you (like me) still doing some comparison shopping, you might want to check out review on the Oppo at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f=pd_bbs_1/002-8147795-8512007?_encoding=UTF8. Though if you buy from their site, it looks like you're getting an older version, for which you can still get a firmware update and free new remote directly from Oppo. Read through the reviews to find out how that works (There's a revealing response from Oppo CS in one review, which addresses some key issues). If I get one, I think I'll wait until it's available again directly through Oppo. As it's currently back ordered on Oppo's site, I wonder if yet a newer version is on the horizon.

Update: just checked Oppo's site, it's no-longer backordered. Guess it's time to make a decision. Too bad the Helios 2085 on the Neodigits.com site doesn't support DVD-A or SACD in spite of the 6-channel analog outputs on the back.

Last edited:
Everything is coming up Oppo. Got one and I am blown away by the quality of the picture. Under $200 at Amazon. Comes with HDMI cable and a DVI cable.

Can someone explain to me the issues with dvi cropping when introducing hdmi? I have an hdmi input on my tv and I'll probably also need to get an hdmi switch. If I'm going to have to play with the settings for every movie (I have a lot of copied movies. Legal backups, of course) it probably isn't worth it for me

well, i ordered my oppo and i'll receive it on mon. i'm impressed by the amount of pro-oppo comments. i honestly never even heard of this brand, until my original post. thanks again for all the comments. it's well appreciated.

jalegria11 said:
How much is this Avel LP2? Is it a high-end player?
I googled it, but did not find much info.

The LP2 is $249.00 http://www.iodata.com/products/products.php?cat=HNP&ts=2&tsc=15&sc=AVEL

but they have a higher end model with DVI out

http://www.iodata.com/products/products.php?cat=HNP&sc=AVELK&ts=2&tsc=15&sc=AVELK&pId=SRDVD-100U

I see nothing wrong with the picture and it streams all of my HD mpeg2 material that I record from my server. Its just that the lastest firmware disables upconversion for DVD's. Glad I didnt install it, but I dont find myself watching DVD very often. Id rather record the 1280x1080i from HBO on D* and play back over this device via the network. HBOHD is the one channel that still looks OK on D*, IMO. In any case its better than upconverted DVD.

Last edited:
When I got the OPPO from Amazon, it was the latest model with the current remote. They sold all the old ones.

Everyonce in a while Amazon will have a $10 off special on it with free shipping so Amazon seems to be the lowest price and it came with both cable connectors (DVI and HDMI).

I did need to upgrade the Firmware, but that was easy.

I wonder if OPPO will have a HD DVD or Blue Ray player?

I spent $130 on the Samsung HD850. I think it is a great upconvert for the price. I noticed the difference right away. It comes with the HDMI cable in the box too.

A few questions

IM also considering getting the oppo, but if my sony hdtv only has one hdmi input and my hd tivo is allready ran into the tv for my high def tv how can i add the oppo also?Also same thing with optical sound.My reciever has one optical input which the hd tivo is running sound through.HOw could i run optical sound thorugh my surround sound reciever from the oppo? The last question is how do you upgrade the firmware on a dvd player from the internet? Do you burn the firmware to a disk and insert that and upgrade that way? My Tv also has a optical input but i dont even use the tv speakers so that optical input is worthless for surround soudns right? Thanks to anyone who answers some questions for me.

bigmarkhd said:
IM also considering getting the oppo, but if my sony hdtv only has one hdmi input and my hd tivo is allready ran into the tv for my high def tv how can i add the oppo also?Also same thing with optical sound.My reciever has one optical input which the hd tivo is running sound through.HOw could i run optical sound thorugh my surround sound reciever from the oppo? The last question is how do you upgrade the firmware on a dvd player from the internet? Do you burn the firmware to a disk and insert that and upgrade that way? My Tv also has a optical input but i dont even use the tv speakers so that optical input is worthless for surround soudns right? Thanks to anyone who answers some questions for me.

You can get a switcher - look at monoprice or gefen to start
Oppo firmware updates are obtained from their web site. You burn it to a cd and stick it in the player, follow the instructions - pretty simple.

Thank you very much,thats what i assumed for both those answers,so what about the optical audio situation i explained? Is thier a resolution to that?

bigmarkhd said:
Thank you very much,thats what i assumed for both those answers,so what about the optical audio situation i explained? Is thier a resolution to that?

I think Gefen makes a switcher that also switches optical audio

I received my Oppo Thursday. PQ looks great. Got it because of the reviews here and because my LG plasma has DVI input. Bought directly from Oppo, got a refurb unit for $160 as new units were backordered at the time. Only problem I've had so far are the batteries they sent for the remote were dead.

bigmarkhd said:
Yes. A grown up AV reciever with 3 or 4 optical inputs and 3 or 4 coax inputs

bigmarkhd said:
a simple optical splitter is available, only a few dollars. i have 2 extras if you want ill give you one just pay the ship but it might be cheaper depending on where you live. i am in new jersey. ram electronics used to carry this on web but i did buy one from radio shack

vurbano said:
Yes. A grown up AV reciever with 3 or 4 optical inputs and 3 or 4 coax inputs
as you may remember some of the early models of grown up receivers only had 1 optical and 1 coaxial audio connection,
and imtalking everything from sony to denon to rotel,but again you feel the need to berate

I just purchased a JSI upconverting dvd player today from sears for $79 which comes with the HDMI cable. Watching Batman Begins and Jurassic Park the picture was noticably different than with my old player... I unfortunately have to hook it up via a DVI adapter but for the price and the picture difference I would say it was more than worth it. It does not upconvert the component (have not tried but read online.) It does support divx and xvid though which is a plus for myself. Just my 2 cents....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)