Upconverting DVD player.

knighthammer

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 23, 2007
I have a Samsung HL-R4266W HDTV. I have been thinking about getting a new upconverting DVD player. I searched thru the forums for some info & found that most of you don't think this would do much better since most HDTV's already upconvert SD content. How do I know whether or not my Samsung is already upconverting my DVD's?

How do I know whether or not my Samsung is already upconverting my DVD's?
Very simple: the native resolution of your TV set is 1,280x720, which is much higher than the resolution of a standard DVD. So, the image has to be rescaled (up-converted). :D

The question is who does a better job in rescaling: the DVD player or the TV set? It depends... But in either case you are still watching an upconverted SD, not True-HD. Your HDTV set is capable of producing a much better image: if you hook-up an HD DVD or Blu-ray Disc player... You will be amazed!

Very simple: the native resolution of your TV set is 1,280x720, which is much higher than the resolution of a standard DVD. So, the image has to be rescaled (up-converted). :D

The question is who does a better job in rescaling: the DVD player or the TV set? It depends... But in either case you are still watching an upconverted SD, not True-HD. Your HDTV set is capable of producing a much better image: if you hook-up an HD DVD or Blu-ray Disc player... You will be amazed!

Thanks Ilya! Let's assume for the moment that an upconverting DVD player does a better job than my HDTV. Will a Blu-ray or an HD DVD player do an even better job w/ std DVD's or about the same?

Thanks Ilya! Let's assume for the moment that an upconverting DVD player does a better job than my HDTV. Will a Blu-ray or an HD DVD player do an even better job w/ std DVD's or about the same?
From what I've seen so far, HD DVD and Blu-ray players do a great job in upconverting. Is it better than a good upconverting player? Not necessarily. Don't expect that.

My point however, is this: the difference in PQ between various ways to do upconversion is so small compared to the improvement that real HD can produce. So, my advice (whatever it's worth) is not to waste any money on an upconverting player and instead save some money toward an HD DVD (or Blu-ray) player, which will allow you to to see HD movies (in much better quality than you can get from satellite or cable companies) and will also double as a very good upconverting player at the same time.

I have to agree with Ilya, if you can wait or get an HD player go with that, but if you can't wait I can recommend the LG DVB-418; it upconverts 720p and 1080i via component, is totally region free, has a built-in multi-card reader, plays both PAL and NTSC, etc. Plays anything and everything I have thrown at it.

Thanks guys! By the way, where does the horse race between HD-DVD & Blu-Ray stand. This question comes from one of the original Betamax owners!

CHARPER1 , when you say ( said ) ( in your abuv ^ post ) . . .

charper1 said:
. . . " the LG DVB-418 upconverts 720p and 1080i via component ". . .

. . . don't ( didn't ) you ( really ) mean ( to say ) that it upconverts it ( tha signal ) "to" (either) 720P or 1080i , bro? :) ( or , rather , iz that what you meant by that? )

( I 'm asking becawz , tha way you said it , or , rather , worded it , it makes it "sound" (or seem) like you meant (that) the original signal must be either a "720p" or a "1080i" signal ... and (then) it gets up-converted to "1080p" ... ya see what I mean , bro? :) )

and , when you say ( said ) it upconverts tha signal "via COMPONENT" , do ( did ) you mean that it really upconverts ( tha signal ) via ( meaning "thru" ) tha COMPONENT OUTPUT(s) ( and nOt , or instead of , the "HDTV" OUTPUT ) ( or as weLL az the HDTV OUTPUT ) ?

I 'm asking becawz I 've "noticed" , when reading tha descriptiunz of various UPCONVERTERz ( sum of which are "1080i" UPCONVERTERz and sum of which are "1080P" UPCONVERTERz ) , that mOst of 'em ... well , all of 'em , actually ( all tha onez I 've read about , anyway ) ( say they ) do the "UP-CONVERZIUN" (process) thru the "HDTV" OUTPUT ( only ) ... ( Well , they don't actually (ever) uze tha word "only" ( in tha descriptiunz of them ) , but that's (just) what I "understand" them to mean when they say it like that ... or , rather , put it that way ... ) ... Am I right about this ( or nOt ) ? :confused:

and (so) duzz it ( the LG DVB-418 ) really send the up-converted signal(z) thru tha "COMPONENT" OUTPUTs , bro?

and , if sO , then , would you say that it 's a "rare" breed (of UPCONVERTERz) ( ? ) ... or are there actually many ( several ) UPCONVERTERz (available) that upconvert tha signal thru tha COMPONENT OUTPUTs?

( I assume that if they dO actually send the upconverted signal(z) thru (out) tha COMPONENT OUTPUTs , they also , of course , send it thru (out) the "HDTV" OUTPUT , right ? ? ? :) )

( I also have anuther questiun I wanna ask you , or anybody else who may be able to answer it ... but I don't wanna become known az a "hi-jacker of threadz" around here , shOrtly after I just joined up! Heh , heh! :D so I 'll just go ahead and start (make) a new thread to ask it in! ;) Heh , heh! )

Quick question from a newbie to the HD circle... my upconvert DVD player (got two didnt realize the 1st was an upconvert...Samsung DVDR155 & an LG DR787T) are not very consistent when they upconvert. Same DVD (Henry V: Criterion Collection version) Upconverted to 720p one night & then the next morning only up to 480i...same disc, same player ( The LG DR787T hasnt gone above 480i YET ) after reading the manuals (both poorly written) is there anything I'm missing ?

Thanks

I have a Samsung HL-R4266W HDTV. I have been thinking about getting a new upconverting DVD player. I searched thru the forums for some info & found that most of you don't think this would do much better since most HDTV's already upconvert SD content. How do I know whether or not my Samsung is already upconverting my DVD's?

I bought a Sony KDS-R60XBR2 HD TV 2 months ago. I wanted to try an upscaler unit so I bought a Sony DVP-NS90V player. It has an HTMI out jack and I run it to the TV's HDMI input. I have played many of my DVD's in the unit and it's worth every buck of the recently reduced price of $149.95. Even my wife notices the difference in PQ. Sont told me that you need to look not only at the res., but at the background colors and vividness. I went to the Sony Style store here and they gave me a demo with the same DVD I brought in on 2 DVD players. It was obvious the DVP-NS90V is a superior unit compared to my other non-upscaler players. It also has optical out for your surround sound amp. The trick is you have to use the HDMI cable from the player to the TV to get the better PQ. I am very particular, but in this case I am very pleased. Hope this helps.:cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)