Update butchered my HR-34

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mattzane227

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 25, 2004
I tried to turn on my HR-34 and it wouldn't boot up. I had to reset it and then when it started up it said something about new features. I have a 2tb external hard drive hooked up to it. I guess it updated but now the video is glitching horribly and it is extremely laggy and now the video just freezes completely. I'm restarted it like 3 times and still the same issue. If I remove the external hard drive it works fine so I'm guessing it corrupted the external hard drive. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Last edited:
Are you sure the EHD didnt go down?

That being said, if you have restarted a few times only thing I know is to test the EHD with a PC.

You won't be able to play the files. Will it reformat the drive when you plug it into the pc?

Download Xubuntu 12.04 LTS 32-bit and use it as a "Live CD". Once booted into the OS, then use GSmart to check the External Hard Drive for errors. You can also do it from the Terminal Window, but it is a little harder, but easy once you do it.

For Windows, you can use this software tool to check the S.M.A.R.T. info on the drive. Active Smart is good for 30 days, then you have to pay for it. http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/active_smart.html

Thank Ill try that when I get home from work. I googled around last night and saw that when you reset and it says something about diagnostics you push enter and it took me to a bunch of options where it can check your hard drive for errors. I ran a few tests and they passed and then I started a some sort of test that can fix errors but it was going to take like 2 hours to finish and I had to go to bed. Hopefully it fixed it but I'll check when I get home. The external hard drive is pretty new, hopefully it's not crapping out already. I had a whole season of american horror story on that thing.

I have had new drives out of the box go bad. I have also had a brand new NAS arrive from the factory defective. What is the manufacturer & model of the external hard drive that you have?

Just got home and apparently the scan that fixes errors fixed everything perfectly. I'm excited, I thought I was going to have to use the puny internal hard drive and start all over.

Just got home and apparently the scan that fixes errors fixed everything perfectly. I'm excited, I thought I was going to have to use the puny internal hard drive and start all over.

The internal hd is 1 TB, not exactly puny. Perhaps you can view this as a lesson that hard drives aren't meant to archive video, but store it for retrieval in a short period of time.

The internal hd is 1 TB, not exactly puny. Perhaps you can view this as a lesson that hard drives aren't meant to archive video, but store it for retrieval in a short period of time.

Well it's not like my life would have been over if I had to find some other way to watch American Horror Story or The Walking Dead. My 2TB is like 75% free anyways, I haven't got it much below 50% yet but it's nice to have twice the space when I have like 5 NBA games recording every night.

I try to stay caught up on shows but somehow it never happens. I finally gave up on a few shows after getting ridiculously behind. I had like 29 Community's and like 30 something Happy Endings. Happy Endings isn't even on anymore.

Well it's not like my life would have been over if I had to find some other way to watch American Horror Story or The Walking Dead. My 2TB is like 75% free anyways, I haven't got it much below 50% yet but it's nice to have twice the space when I have like 5 NBA games recording every night.

I try to stay caught up on shows but somehow it never happens. I finally gave up on a few shows after getting ridiculously behind. I had like 29 Community's and like 30 something Happy Endings. Happy Endings isn't even on anymore.

Thats the problem, if you put a bunch on it and have issues, you risk losing it all and ya never know when a HD will go bad.

Status
Please reply by conversation.