Update: Girardi Yankees manager

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
This is SORT of a surprise.

The Yankees officially offered their managerial job to Joe Girardi on Monday morning and he is expected to accept it, a source has told 1050 ESPN New York's Andrew Marchand.

"The Yankees have offered Joe the opportunity to become their next manager. Discussions are ongoing." Steve Mandell, Girardi's agent, said.
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told Don Mattingly and Tony Pena that they will not be getting the job. Girardi was in Denver for the World Series. A source said he is expected to fly to New York for the announcement, which is likely to come Tuesday. Girardi's contract is expected to be in the three-year, $6 million range. Mattingly will not accept a position on the Yankees coaching staff, Marchand and ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney are reporting.

ESPN - Yankees officially offer skipper job to Girardi - MLB

I saw that this afternoon. I think that is a better pick than Mattingly who should go to the minors and coach a team there first.

I figured as much. Girardi has more experienmce and has somewhat proven himself. I'll bet this was one of the reasons why Arod decided to opt out. Girardi's too much a hands-on kind of manager, ala Buck Showalter style, for zillionaires like Arod's tastes. ..

thats okay, maybe arod will come to the cubbie after all. meanwhile, i think girardi is the best pick of the bunch. agree donnie baseball should manage in the minors for a few.

the latest rumor is that if Torre gets the Dodgers job Mattingly will go with him. IF I rember corectly Mattingly's son is in the Dodgers organization but I could be way off on that.

I figured as much. Girardi has more experienmce and has somewhat proven himself. I'll bet this was one of the reasons why Arod decided to opt out. Girardi's too much a hands-on kind of manager, ala Buck Showalter style, for zillionaires like Arod's tastes. ..

I think it's funny that everyone is making such a big deal about Girardi's experience... he managed one team for what? One season? I know he did a good job, but it's not like he's Lou Piniella or something.

I think it's funny that everyone is making such a big deal about Girardi's experience... he managed one team for what? One season? I know he did a good job, but it's not like he's Lou Piniella or something.
Lou did a bad job in this years playoffs.

Lou did not have any success this year but he has a track record of doing quite well----except in Tampa where success would have been hard to come by.

I am primarily a Red Sox fan but I follow the Nats and I have to say that Girardi did do well with very limited resources in Florida. this is speculation only but I have to think that if he is the choice it was based half on that experience and half on whatever he did in the interview. I heard that he initially impressed the amrlins ownersip with his specific plans for several players and the fact that he looked totally prepared.

having said that his love affair with that ownership group did not last long and while Torre lasted eons in yankee terms several other Yankee managers can attest to the fact that you don't get much time to prove yourself there.

I am sure that this sounds insincere coming from a Red Sox fan but congrats to Mr. Girardi.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts