Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
It appears that DISH has pulled the Carbon UI from the Update Queue.

I am not exactly sure of why, but will note that I did talk to DISH about it before opening up this forum and they were ok with customers downloading it as long as I let them know that they were doing so at their own risk.

We do hope that DISH allows our members to access early version of the new UI as it will allow them to gauge public feedback of what the public likes and does not like about the new UI so if they wish can make changes before its officially released to the public.

We will let you know if and when its back, and once again we thank DISH for allowing our members to try the new UI. It is our hope working with both DISH and our users we can make the new Carbon UI even better for all. :D

i bet the reason why Dish is stopping the public beta is cause there was too many people downloading something that was meant to stay private and it may had bricked several Hoppers/Joeys/Super Joeys and Dish felt they didn't need to keep the public beta, they were nice to let Scott have a subforum,, but at the same time were embarrassed that someone figured out a secret code that Dish didn't want to get out to the public. so Dish rushed a quick fix which was a patch embedded in the beta Carbon UI update to automatically roll back to the pervious old UI update version that said Hopper/Joey/Super Joey had.

moral of the story is, for Dish is, don't let stuff meant for the employees and assigned beta testers get out to the public, cause it opens pandora's box of bricking some people's system and other people took a chance to "Try it out" before it's meant to be released.

and one last moral to the story for us at SatelliteGuys, don't talk about things that Dish don't want us to talk about, like beta updates to Receivers/DVR software, free preview channels that had a certain date to be turned off but the uplink center forgot and the preview lasted longer (that's how they figure it out and turn the accidental extended free previews off), or anything else that is not meant to mentioned on here. we are a very public website and a #1 go to for DIsh info, and Dish knows this site well, so talking about things Dish don't want to talk about will end up being noticed by Dish themselves as some Dish employees are members here on this site, especially the DIRT guys.

sorry to hear that the public beta is done before it could do much help and glad i didn't get the update as i plan on waiting for the Carbon UI is really ready for all of us.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

It bricked my Super Joey. (bet I'm not the only one)
Tech coming tomorrow.
While mine isn't bricked, it also didn't revert back so I can use it, but none of its tuners are available. I'll call dish a bit later to get a replacement.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

When rolling out new software you always test the rollback plan.
How do we not know that this was all planned? Let's some get the new UI, then roll me back.
I think this was a good test and Dish learned a lot.
For those that bricked, did you try the reset command and then force the update again? You will loose everything on your Hopper but it will reset the SuperJoey? Sorry to hear there were issues but everyone was warned.

I'm in the same boat. My joey and my super joey won't roll back but my hopper did. I'm not mad. It's part of what happens when you do a beta test. I just want to get it fixed and I'm not sure what the best option is. I'm wondering if there are things I can try here or if I need to just bite the bullet and contact DIRT and get a replacement receiver. If that's the route I have to go I'm going to axe my regular joey and just replace my SJ.

Reactions: Tampa8
I think that since DISH pulled the beta that once they realize they forgot about the Joeys they will get the "current" Joey software back on the Hoppers so that your Joeys will revert back. So you probably just need to wait until after the holiday. At least that is my opinion.

Do you know if you are on the hook if it has to be replaced?
I agreed to a protection plan when I got the SJ to lower the install to $10 and, unbelievably, forgot to cancel it after the allotted time. So I'm assuming zero cost (they didn't mentioned it, just scheduled me).

They should be here between 12-1:30 EST and I will report back with the fix.

PS. With all the reboots it went into a safe mode where all it will do is play a channel after you have numbered in the channel. It will not communicate with the Hopper

I agreed to a protection plan when I got the SJ to lower the install to $10 and, unbelievably, forgot to cancel it after the allotted time. So I'm assuming zero cost (they didn't mentioned it, just scheduled me).

PS. With all the reboots it went into a safe mode where all it will do is play a channel after you have numbered in the channel. It will not communicate with the Hopper
I'm asking because my Joey is on the fritz too. And I don't have the protection plan.

Reactions: peggy97850

I have a strong suspicion that until such time as the current Joey software gets down loaded to your Hopper any and all replacement Joeys are going to install the new Carbon UI.

I have a strong suspicion that until such time as the current Joey software gets down loaded to your Hopper any and all replacement Joeys are going to install the new Carbon UI.
I started the DL of Carbon when I went to bed Thursday night and it was there Friday morning. Awoke yesterday and the Hopper had reverted, but the SJ had not. I was hoping I could call and cancel the tech visit if the overnight DL fixed it. It did not, the SJ is still Carbon and in a practically unusable safe mode.

Though the Hopper says that the SJ is connected, the SJ gives me a "Joey could not set up network" and "could not find your router" and will not go into bridge mode etc. I think it can't get much from the Hopper and is unable to DL any new (or old) software.

For what its worth, I have heard from a few retailers that DISH sent out an email last week inviting them to try it out too.

Again before I opened this forum I let DISH know and they were OK with it but again wanted me to provide a disclaimer which I did.

Because of the Holiday Weekend I am not sure when I will hear anything on whats going on.

I started the DL of Carbon when I went to bed Thursday night and it was there Friday morning. Awoke yesterday and the Hopper had reverted, but the SJ had not. I was hoping I could call and cancel the tech visit if the overnight DL fixed it. It did not, the SJ is still Carbon and in a practically unusable safe mode.
Any new Joeys you install on your system, Super or not, will contact your Hopper and download the available Joey software locally. If that software is still Carbon your new Joey will keep downloading it. You are SOL until your available Joey software on your Hopper is restored to the old UI. Again, I believe everyone was warned that this was at your own risk, and there is nothing a tech can do other than replace the Hopper which holds the Joey software with one that has the old UI.

Reactions: Hall
Any new Joeys you install on your system, Super or not, will contact your Hopper and download the available Joey software locally. If that software is still Carbon your new Joey will keep downloading it. You are SOL until your available Joey software on your Hopper is restored to the old UI. Again, I believe everyone was warned that this was at your own risk, and there is nothing a tech can do other than replace the Hopper which holds the Joey software with one that has the old UI.
If you read my previous post carefully, you will see that it reverted overnight Fri/Sat. The tech will be here soon and I will report back.

Not this time, if that were the case Joey would have reverted back last night, since the Hopper reverted back the night before. Mine still has Carbon on the Joey, S529 on the Hopper - Joey will not revert back without some type of code or intervention.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)