Updated 622 External Storage Information

Well, if you did read post#90, then you probably knew about Dish's EFS, i.e. own file system what has been created back to time of 501/508 and still using in 622/722.

EFS (Extent File System) has been around for some time. I don't know if that's what dish is using or not. I haven't bothered to look into at all.

Here's a link to a crypto system that could easily be used by Dish (it's freeware): SourceForge.net: loop-AES

Cheers,

EFS is EchostarFileSystem aka 'Dave System' here.

You prefer follow your way, no attention at all.

Since E*s EFS is entirely homegrown this person posting in a Linux forum about 5 years ago either wasn't really employed by E* technologies or he made this all up.

It's a really good discussion pointing out some of the challenges that are faced when you have a consumer grade device running Linux with open file systems that can be disconnected at any time by unplugging the power.

Also, if you're going to make this into a personal attack; you need to keep it off the forum.

Last edited:
Ummm... Excuse me....

What are the chances that the programmers at E* will actually be able to pull this off and make it work? And the ethernet thing too? In the same month no less.

I mean, they don't exactly have a stellar record. The "local on the 8's" feature still doesn't work. They still haven't fixed the OTA reception problems they introduced in the 622 and 211 in Feb, and lately they have been rolling backwards to previous software versions because the new minor releases were buggy.

I hope this doesn't sound too negative but I just haven't been impressed by the software releases I have seen in the last year since I started with E*. Hope I am
wrong though.

I can tell by your words "622's EFS uses extremely large clusters when you're talking 250GB, 500GB, 750GB, & 1TB"; read: EFS cluster size is 2 MB and bigger.

I guess my eyes are going bad. I can't see where I said anything about "622's EFS..."

Size limits

ext3 has a relatively small maximum size for both individual files and the entire filesystem. These limits are dependent on the block size of the filesystem; the following chart summarizes the limits:

Code:
Block size Max file size Max filesystem size
1KB             16GB             2TB
2KB            256GB             8TB
4KB              2TB            16TB
8KB             16TB            32TB

With a 4K block size they have quite practical limitations for the foreseeable future. 4K is quite a bit less than 1 second of standard def content on disk. The 4K block size wouldn't be particularly wasteful.

For that matter; neither would 8K.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Don't need make arguments where is missed knowledge.
Jim Buzbee talking about 721 file OS. Check here Re: [linux-usb-devel] Cyrix USB

It wasn't personal attack, don't make it look like.
It was my frustration after reading all posts in the thread.

Since E*s EFS is entirely homegrown this person posting in a Linux forum about 5 years ago either wasn't really employed by E* technologies or he made this all up.

It's a really good discussion pointing out some of the challenges that are faced when you have a consumer grade device running Linux with open file systems that can be disconnected at any time by unplugging the power.

Also, if you're going to make this into a personal attack; you need to keep it off the forum.

Last edited:
Could anyone tell me if you have to install any software when connecting your External HD to your 622. Is it just simply plugging it in or is something else you have to do.

Thanks, Richard

Could anyone tell me if you have to install any software when connecting your External HD to your 622. Is it just simply plugging it in or is something else you have to do.

Thanks, Richard

Just plug it in. Dish's software and your $40 will ensure the rest is done with no more action required from you.

--Doug

I got the following information in regarding hard drives...

HDD size: 40GB minimum to 750GB maximum. In general, major brand-name external HDDs sold in stores today are compatible. Do-it-yourself external HDD kits and expandable racks may not be compatible. Currently, only single HDD units are supported.

Regarding "brand-name" vs non-brand names being compatible or not, it's not like the big companies use any different chipsets in their enclosures.... As others have commented though, there's little price advantage to building your own external unit.

Regarding "brand-name" vs non-brand names being compatible or not, it's not like the big companies use any different chipsets in their enclosures....

My guess is that they just haven't tested every drive there is out there, but they have tested most of the major brands, so they are telling people this in hope that they will stick with the ones that have been tested. Obviously I don't know this to be fact, only a guess.

We should expect a grade of compatibility, that is as high as if you were to buy a HDD for a PC. So I really don't expect alot of issues in that matter.

Well, my 622 went and decreased my need for a external hard drive when it deleted all of my non-locked recordings. About 35 hours worth of them - about 20-25 hours that I hadn't watched as yet.

But then again, perhaps I need to add an external drive to prevent my 622 from deleting my recordings.

Possible side benefit of external storage?

Just a side thought.

In theory, some anomalies of the 622 may be related to a fragmented HDD, so it might be good to run the internal diagnostic that reformats it once in a while. Of course that would delete all it's contents, so it probably rarely gets done.

Will one be able to relocate the entire contents of the 622's HDD to an external HDD, reformat the drive and then return the external HDD contents back to the 622?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts