Updated 722 Information

Is there any way to already get in line at Dishstore, when they get the 722 in stock? I want one! Serious!

Yeah, I forgot I don't need to go through my local guy for this; I can have Claude order it and ship it direct to me - meaning no tech to the house. :)

the 722 will be replaced within a year by a version that will be compatible with the clearwire service, thus completing the final piece of the puzzle...dish, internet service, home phone service thru the clearwirw connection and cell service thru their connection with Sprint

I hope they offer a decent deal for current 622 leases. Id love to have 55 instead of 30.
They won't for at least 18 months or longer. Current customers, in perfect standing with Dish, still had to pay a few hundred dollars to get a 622 when it was first released. It lowered over time though. I mean, look at what they'll give 811 or 921/942 *owners*, $10 or so (??). Even less likely if you're still under contract with them. They have very little incentive to make you any sort of good deal.

The most cost-effective thing will be to buy an external drive.

55 hours of HD is a HUGE improvement over 30.

Depending on your recording habits, if you do more recording of Mpeg 4 programming you're probably pushing 40 hours of usable space Mpeg4 only.

If you mix it up you're still in the 33 or 34 hour range. So *if* they want 200 bucks to upgrade is 15 gigs worth 200 bucks vs an external drive?

You can get an external drive for 110-120 and 40 for the enable fee you're still 40-50 bucks ahead with the external.

Is there any way to already get in line at Dishstore, when they get the 722 in stock? I want one! Serious!

Dishdepot.com has a waiting list for preorder. It will ship on 8/16/07 if they are available to ship. HE also takes in trade ins for receivers that you own towards the $529.99 purchase price. He is giving $150.00 for a 622 if you trade it in. Also no tax if you live outside of Florida and he pays for all shipping and handeling.

I thought the 722 hadn't started shipping and wouldn't be available until about the same time as the external disk capability was activated on the 622.

Everywhere I've seen says Aug 15th it'll be available. I don't know if that means dealers will have one then or if it means that's when Dish is releasing them to dealers.

Does anyone know exactly how the 722 hard drive will be partitioned (if at all)? What i mean is, it states that the 722 will have 350 hrs. vs. 200 hrs. SD storage, and 55 hrs. vs. 30 hrs. HD storage. Will a portion of the hard drive be dedicated to VOD, so that those new numbers aren't actually accurate, or will the VOD stuff just take up whatever space the actually movie needs...Hope that isn't too confusing, I have no interest in VOD stuff, and I'm not yet a Dish customer, so I'm wondering if I should wait till after the 15th to get the 722, which I'll do if it's offered free to new customers, like the 622, and if the increased space can be used for whatever content you want, even if it's all DVR'd stuff and no VOD stuff...sorry for the rambling, incoherent posting!!

AngryStamen: your posting was clear and I was just about to post the exact same questions as you did and would be a new DISH customer... Let's hope someone knows the answer because it's very important regarding how the 55 hrs HD space is going to be used...

With external HD capacity on the way, I will be quite happy with the 622. Won't need the additional hours that the 722 offers.

HD VOD- Not interested! Only so much time and that is spent watching stuff I haven't seen yet and there is sooo much of it now on Dish HD. Plus I rent 2 DVD movies a day for a flat fee of $25 per month. Not sure how much longer that will last but it has been great for the past 2 years.

But here's what I hope will replace the DVD rental for me. When Dish begins to do their version of the DVD rental services in a on demand basis. Contrary to what Scott posted earlier about downloading movies over the internet which I agree that would suck all your bandwidth from a strong cable modem. I believe they would do it this way- You connect an ethernet cable to your 622. Then you have the feature as a menu of titles on your dish receiver and you select what you want from thousands of titles. Then as satellite channels become available it will be downloaded to your hard drive. and added to your bill as they do with VOD. All the internet connection does is give you a means to place the order as opposed to going to your computer to do it. It stores until you watch it ( New rule) then you have say 72 hours to restart and watch as many times as you want before it expires. It could use the external HD capacity but if you disconnected that drive, next time you plugged it in, it would sense the out of date VOD and simply delete it, so you may store it and pull the HD but you still would never be able to view it. Finally, Dish would need to offer a Movie Pass where you could pay a flat fee per month for all the movies you could watch but only have say 2 active on your drive at a time. Basically, the same as we now have with the DVD rental facilities. If they did this, and the selection was good, with new titles as the DVD's are released, I would drop my DVD movie pass account and go with Dish HDVOD as I described. I would even pay 50% more for it than I pay BlockBuster now as it would save me the trip to the store each day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts