Updated Dish 1000 Info

OK, I'll ask again. What is the purpose of the 1000? I really don't pay attention to the new and upcoming items, but wanted to know what effect it will have for me living in the Sacramento DMA. Will I have to upgrade to the 1000 and will it cost me or can I leave well enough alone because HD isn't a real priority for me right now, later probably. Just curious. Thanks

On 61.5 or 148 they have Zeetv and other crap like that,it would benifit use in kansas if they were going to Dish 1000.Any chance of that in ther near future?

digital echo said:
On 61.5 or 148 they have Zeetv and other crap like that,it would benifit use in kansas if they were going to Dish 1000.Any chance of that in ther near future?

You mean the international channels, right?
They are already on 121. You would need a Superdish.

Superdish vs Dish 1000

I assume the long range plan is to eliminate superdish entirely as it is very costly and signal strength is not sufficient. Simelcast will continue until all can be replaced. Here in the northeast our signal on 105 sucks even with the new satellite (AMC-15) and will not change until echo 10 goes on line. Superdish is a prime focus dish and here in the east with snow that is a big problem. We need an offset feed in the worst way!

rnesky said:
I assume the long range plan is to eliminate superdish entirely as it is very costly and signal strength is not sufficient. Simelcast will continue until all can be replaced. Here in the northeast our signal on 105 sucks even with the new satellite (AMC-15) and will not change until echo 10 goes on line. Superdish is a prime focus dish and here in the east with snow that is a big problem. We need an offset feed in the worst way!

Not all areas of the Northeast have poor signal with a superdish. For example, areas in the Northeast that use the 121 satellite such as my area, Syracuse, NY, actually have quite good signal levels with the superdish. My Syracuse locals are on transponder 30 and I have a signal level of 88 which, from what I understand, is an excellent signal level for these FSS birds.

Ok I live in the Omaha DMA and and have a Dish 500. I have not requested the upgrade to get all my locals and have lived with the one missing. If I read this correct I would get the Dish 1000 for no cost do to the must carry if I requested it since I have not used that before and one of my locals requires it. I guess my question is to those that know much more about this is, are these assumptions correct?

Second, is this something I should do to future proof my self for a while or is there no advantage if I can live without the missing local? It would be nice to add the local but with the issues with the SUPERDISH I just steered away.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Tonight I have received some updated Dish 1000 information, including what areas are elligible for a Dish 1000 upgrade and which ones are not.

So here is a list of ELIGIBLE MUST CARRY DMA'S
  • Chicago, IL
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Dallas - Ft Worth, TX
  • Denver, CO
  • Fresno, Vosalia, CA
  • Greenville - Spartanburg, SC - Ashville, NC, Anderson, SC
  • Houston, TX
  • Little Rock - Pine Bluff, AK
  • Louisville, KY
  • Omaha, NE
  • Roanoke - Lynchburg, VA
  • Sacramento - Stockton - Modesto, CA
  • Salt Lake City, UT
  • San Francisco - Oakland - San Jose, CA
  • Sioux Falls (Mitchell), SD
Apparently Tulsa has 2 off the 148 that will be moved also, can anyone confirm?

TULSA IND-KWHB * 47 8928
TULSA IND-KGEB * 53 8927

someone already asked this but I didn't see an answer...i live on the west coast and can't see 61.5 & I want voom, do I just call dish and get a 1000 upgrade for $100 and add voom?

well what i meant to say are there going to be any inter on dish 1000,i understand the super dish.but where we need this more is in apts,most of the time we cant fit s.d in those. and half cant see 61.5 or 148,seems these people can really only get dish 500.thats why it would be great if dish 1000 could see that as well.plus the elevation here is only 33 on dish 1000,i see that causing more problems in the future...

digital echo said:

well what i meant to say are there going to be any inter on dish 1000,i understand the super dish.but where we need this more is in apts,most of the time we cant fit s.d in those. and half cant see 61.5 or 148,seems these people can really only get dish 500.thats why it would be great if dish 1000 could see that as well.plus the elevation here is only 33 on dish 1000,i see that causing more problems in the future...

It would seem unlikely that many, if any international packages would be mirrored to 110/119/129. The international packages are already taking up considerable space on 3 satellites. All 50 states can see at least one of those satellites, so to mirror the international packages to a 4th orbital position which is also needed for locals, Voom, and possibly eventuly other HD channels wouldnt really make much sense. Who knows what will happen once MPEG4 becomes available, maybe then it will be possible, but not now using MPEG2.

In addition the Dish 1000 is NOT recommended and may not work in the following areas due to the look angles needed to see the satellite. (So in other words if you live in these areas don't plan on getting a Dish 1000)

* Tallahasse, FL - Thomasville, GA, Jacksonville, FL and all DMA's South
* Chorpus Chrsti, TX, Laredo, TX, Harlingen - Welaco - Brownsville - McAllen, TX
* Buffalo, NY, Johnstown - Altoona, PA, Harrisburg - Lancaster - Lebanon - York, PA - Baltimore, MD - Salisbury
, MD and everything NORTH.

I don't have dish yet but looking to do so soon, want to get rid of Comcrap. As I live in Tallahassee and apparently the 1000 will not work here, if I want to get VOOM what
kind of package should I be looking to get?

Well I'm totally confused! I live in the Denver DMA. I've got one Dish 500, w/ locals and the HD Pak. Is E* going to move all my locals onto satellites that will allow me to get them w/ just my current Dish 500 or are they going to "give" me a Dish 1000 so I don't need two dishes for all of my locals. If the former is correct, am I going to lose any of my current HD Pak capability? I don't care about VOOM.

right now you have the basic pack on the 500 dish,if you upgrade to 1000.you would be able to add the voom hd pack as well,if you are a true hd fan this would be the way to go ...

Ok, so I called Dish today (before I read any of this), and requested that they add a second dish for my one missing local (in Omaha). I was assuming it would be pointed at 148, but now it sounds like they could point it to 129. (Would be nice if I could get Voom..)

1. What's the chance the installer will know my local channel is also on 129 and be willing to point the dish there instead of 148?
2. Is there a chance I will get my current 500 replaced altogether with a 1000?

(They are supposed to be coming out on the 26th -- one day before the official 27th launch date..)

pcarter said:
Ok, so I called Dish today (before I read any of this), and requested that they add a second dish for my one missing local (in Omaha). I was assuming it would be pointed at 148, but now it sounds like they could point it to 129. (Would be nice if I could get Voom..)

1. What's the chance the installer will know my local channel is also on 129 and be willing to point the dish there instead of 148?
2. Is there a chance I will get my current 500 replaced altogether with a 1000?

(They are supposed to be coming out on the 26th -- one day before the official 27th launch date..)

I would wait until they officially roll out Dish 1000...the channels are on 129 but not turned over to subscribers yet, so they may give you a dish at 148....

yeah that would probaly be a good idea,if the techs in omaha are the same type of contractors in k.c.they probaly have no clue what the 1000 dish even is,and trying to get some punk kid to climb up on your house and try to find 148 could be like pulling teeth...lol..im not saying all contractors are alike,but wow being former Qas in k.c i have seen my fare share of crap installs.s oto sum up,being from omaha there are a few cool oppitions for you in the mean time of a month or so.cox cable is the leader in that area,and if you have highspeed modem,i would just split the cable at the modem and get the basic cox cable stations.all you need is a jumper cable and a two way splitter...we have the 1000 dish at are local office,but we havent even trained or put one up to test yet....so sit tight.....

Until the 1000 becomes standard, those who request a dish for must carry will still get a 2nd dish pointed at 148 or 61.5. If it's 148, you can probably still tip the installer to swing it over to 129 or something. If not, it's still possible to do it yourself (if you are up to the challenge, it aint hard I don't think)

You don't need a dish 1000 to get 129 (or 61.5, both have voom) -- it just makes it so you can get all things on one dish instead of 2.

The channels are turned over to 129. Anyone that is to go to Dish1000 September 27th for their locals has had their locals on at 129 all month if I'm not mistaken if you have the local package.

help with Dish 1000

I live in the Atlanta Metro and I am starting to receive orders for the Dish1000. I have one set up but for some reason cannot get the 129 sat. My signal strength for 119 is 118. I don't see any los probs... My azm, elev and skew are set to Dish specs...

Any ideas why I can't get the 129?? Thanks

west virginia

i put my 1 st dish 1000 in today people this thing is sweeet let the 105 drop out of orbit :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)