updates in 211k

jackal24

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Cincinnati
I have a 222 and I just got a 211k receiver. I don't see anyway to disable updates on the 211k. Is this possible? (It screws with my htpc when it shuts down every night).

I have a 222 and I just got a 211k receiver. I don't see anyway to disable updates on the 211k. Is this possible? (It screws with my htpc when it shuts down every night).

Did you get an owner's manual with your 211k? If so, did you check to see if the option SCHEDULING RECEIVER UPDATES noted on page 66 is in the menu?

If you didn't get an owner's manual, you can download the pieces at: DISH Network - Support - 1.888.825.2557

did you check to see if the option SCHEDULING RECEIVER UPDATES noted on page 66 is in the menu?

The item is in the menu and it allows me to change the time at which the updates occur. However, my 222 has an additional item on that page which allows me to disable updates completely. The 211k does not.

Wasn't that a friendly welcome to Satellite Guys:mad:

How many times is someone supposed to be "welcomed" to Satellite Guys? The OP joined on Feb 7, 2009 and posted his question on Feb 24, 2009. Rough calculations puts that at about 2 weeks. Even most honeymoons are over within 2 weeks!:)

The item is in the menu and it allows me to change the time at which the updates occur. However, my 222 has an additional item on that page which allows me to disable updates completely. The 211k does not.

I would suspect that the if the "disable" option is not there, then it's not feasible at this time, but may be included in a future software update.

I was wondering the answer to this same question. I thought my 211k use to have a disable update menu item, but I cannot find it now. My unit recent reset itself after a power outage and now it updates the guide every night and then puts itself to sleep. This screws up my recordings with my HD-PVR and SageTV software. It didn't happen until the power outage.

Anyone else know if the 211k had a recent firmware update that did away with the "disable updates" option?

Thanks,

I was wondering the answer to this same question. I thought my 211k use to have a disable update menu item, but I cannot find it now. My unit recent reset itself after a power outage and now it updates the guide every night and then puts itself to sleep. This screws up my recordings with my HD-PVR and SageTV software. It didn't happen until the power outage.

Anyone else know if the 211k had a recent firmware update that did away with the "disable updates" option?

Thanks,

Thats where I am having the problem also. My 222 allows me to disable it, but my 222 has problems with lip sync with my hdpvr. My 211k works great except for this update thing. It actually works just fine as long as nothing tries to record at that time. I have sage setup to send a "select" command before each channel change.

I emailed Dish Support about the lack of a "Disable Updates" option. My assumptions were correct. They did take that option away with a firmware update and are planning on taking it away from EVERY STB that currently has it.

Here is a copy of the e-mail I sent to Dish Support.
I have a Dish VIP-211k box and I would like to disable the automatic updates. I thought this use to be possible, but I do not see it in the menus anymore. I know I can customize the time that the update occurs, but there does not appear to be a way to turn the update off. Was there a recent firmware that changed this? Now my box updates itself everyday and puts itself to sleep. I don't want the box to put itself to sleep, so in the past I have disabled the automatic updates.
Thanks,

Here is a copy of the reply that I got back from Dish Support
Thank you for your email. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. The menu option to disable daily Updates has been removed from the models 211 and 211k. Future software releases will remove the option from all receivers that currently have it. If the receiver also turns itself off after a certain period of inactivity, you may disable this by pressing Menu on the Dish Network remote. Then select Preferences, Inactivity Standby, and adjust the settings to your liking.

Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have further questions you can respond to this e-mail or access our online technical support at the following link:
http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/techportal/index.shtml
A Technical Service Representative is available via live chat 24 hours a day, 7 days per week regarding your concerns. Please click the following link to use this option.
http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/techportal/content/tech/techchatadvcustformrf23.shtml

Thank you,
Lucas S.
DISH Network Technical E-care

I decided to create a timer o my VIP-211k. It is sceduled to occur daily at 3:57am (I have the automatic updates scheduled for 3am) and it changes the channel to one I listed (Discovery Network - no real reason I picked that). That way even if the box goes to sleep after the update, the box wakes itself up and changes the channel at 3:57am.

I left a large time gap because I wasn't sure how long the longest update might take, and I would loose any show being recorded at 3:00am anyway.

EDIT - I should also mention that I already have the "Inactivity Period" set to "Never" - so the box should not go to sleep again after waking up from the update.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)